Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outboard system round?

Not round, what I meant is GROUND!

Isn't it funny, I know all about ground plates and number 10 wire on boats with twin diesels.

But what about on outboards? Do they have a system ground as this is necessary to reduce noise in VHF radios and other electronics. You would think that with all that metal in the water they would've thought that through but I have no proof one way or the other.

Can anybody help me with this question? It's relatively trivial from a technical point of view, but is it implemented in Mercury outboards for example? Or do I need to install a ground plate.

Thanks in advance.
    Dave

14 Skagit Sportster Blue (formerly red)
    16 Skagit Skimaster (blue)
    17 Skagit

18 Skagit Runabout (1961?)

Well, after considerable research I've finally found out about the system ground.

It turns out that for everything this side of a lightning protection system the system ground on the boat if it is fed by larger than a number six wire for number six wire especially those that are green, then in effect all you have to do is attach your system ground to have negative battery terminal. Now when I pulled the cover often outboard, I saw that the big ground from the battery is attached to the engine itself. One would assume that the folks who build these engines make sure that there is a path to the sea. It is also suggested that the big green ground wire could be also be attached to any through hull fittings that there might be.
    Dave

14 Skagit Sportster Blue (formerly red)
    16 Skagit Skimaster (blue)
    17 Skagit

18 Skagit Runabout (1961?)

Comment

Working...
    X