Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 404 progress

Hi all:
    I am progressing with BellBoy on several fronts. The windshield is now secured with 9 bolts instead of 6. The blocks placed under the cabin roof that hold the "t" nuts are re-installed using 3M 5200 slow dry adhesive. And, let me tell you, it is slow! The research I read on the regular 5200 vs the quick cure 5200 convinced me that the slower curing adhesive is stronger. This is important as the headliner can survive only one more re-attachment with the tack holes and fraying on the edge. I don't want to have to go back in there to re-glue those blocks.

Tim wrote that the easiest way to get a flush fit of the bottom frame with the cabin top was to enlarge the original bolt holes so that the protruding nuts holding the glass to the bottom frame would seat into the cabin roof snugly. I was hesitant to drill more holes in my fiberglass but concluded that there was no other viable alternative to my set up so, I took his suggestion. I waited one week for the 3M to completely cure, then a ran 3" fiberglass tape over the inside cabin roof, covering all the holes. On the top side, I will mark where my nuts fit in and then fill the rest of the holes with bondo, sand flush and paint with Petit one part epoxy off-white (a dead match for the BB gelcoat). That should tidy up the window installation. The only thing I think I would like to add would be some sort of thin rubber ribbon (1/16 thick by 1" wide and the length of the bottom frame) This would be glued onto the frame and I would cut out the nuts protrusions to keep the gasket flush against the bottom frame. This would keep the frame from scratching the cabin top when I install and remove. Would Wefco have this kind of gasket strip?

Next, I am continuing the planked mahogany flooring into the cabin. The original floor is warping so, I epoxied and used a brad gun to secure the plywood sub-floor to the cabin floor. I will seal with epoxy, then lay my strips (pre-stained), seal that with epoxy, apply boat life black caulking between the strips, wait one week for that to cure, trim off the excess with a razor blade and apply 5 coats of polyurethane.

Then comes the new hi-fi, but more on that with pictures when I get there!!

Best,

Bob
    Attached Files

Wefco makes a flat about 2" rubber with an outside bead that went under my hard top If thats too wide you could trim off what you don't need. I also used a piece that I had left over to go under the diamond plate I put on the transom. It's Wefco #3638 black rubber "J" seal it's $2.00 a foot I glued it to the hardtop and then I drilled through it after it was dry for the screws. Now if I ever need to remove the top it will come off with-out sticking to the boat , That also helped with lining up the screws since there are 78 of them holding the top down. Here are pictures of the Rub rail and the front window seal that I got from them also. It worked well sending them a sample of what I needed and how much Then "Pete " would call me back with the cost
    Attached Files
    Rick & Sarah

1959 Larson "Falls Flyer"

Comment

Sounds perfect for what I need. How thick is it? The two inch stock could easily be trimmed to fit the width of the bottom frame but I'm hoping to find a fairly thin piece. Thanks very much for the tip!!
      Bob

Comment

It's only about 1/8" thick. It was perfect for what I needed.
        Rick & Sarah

Comment

That looks like what used to be called "fender welting"....flat rubber with a rolled edge, often it has cut slits along the flat area so that it may be bent to follow the curve of a fender. Think of an old VW Bug and how there's a rubber bead between the fender and the body...same stuff.

There's a lot of rubber molding suppliers, try Steele Rubber

Comment

I'm done ! I don't need anymore rubber, paint, sandpaper, screws, nuts, . All I need is some water, gas for the bearcat and some sun ! At least till next winter !
            Rick & Sarah

Comment

Working...
            X