new member saying howdy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new member saying howdy

i got a free boat......no idea what it was just pulled out of the bushes.the guy whose property it was on said it was a glasstron or something he was unsure.well i thought it was a skagit.there was no emblems or manufacturer plate on it.so i took the mystery ship home hoping to clean it and find some clues.i found part of an emblem -ella17 and the wife noticed a dolphin looking discoloration on the sides so we started google and bing searches for images of old boat emblems.found the sabre craft emblem looked like it.so i googled that and found a pic of tims boat.that was close but mine had a different windshield.turns out it is a hardtop boat.i'm working with the marine board too get a title.the boat is a complete rebuilder but i'm sure with you guys advising me i'll get it finished.i've got pics but i can't load them since my only internet access is on my ps3.when i figure it out i'll post them.oh ya i'm in st.helens incase anyoneis close.
    john woods
    "be afraid of free women and free boats"~my wise uncle

hence the name rotten imp
    Attached Files
    john woods

Comment

Welcome to the group Rotten. Here's a link to the Fiberglassics website. Check out their Glassic Library, there is some info and pictures of Sabre Craft's.

http://www.fiberglassics.com/

Have fun with the restore. Looks like the hull and trailer cleaned up pretty good. Good find.
      Steve Kiesel
      1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

thanks for the welcome
        i will checkout that link.
        john woods

Comment

Glad to see it is the boat, not you, that is the rotten imp. Lots of luck with the restoration. There are many in the club with plenty of experience and are willing to share it with fellow restorers. Unfortunately, I'm not one. Okay, I would share my knowledge of boat restoration (basically, none) and experiences (some pretty wild) but can only offer this bit of advice which I have learned. Figure the time it will take to do the job and triple it. Estimate the cost and multiply by 10. When it is done and beautiful, forget about items one and two and enjoy your "free" boat.
          There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Not a doubt in my mind: it's a Skagit 18

How do I know? I own one of those. Here is a picture of my boat.
            Attached Files
            Dave

14 Skagit Sportster Blue (formerly red)
            16 Skagit Skimaster (blue)
            17 Skagit

18 Skagit Runabout (1961?)

Comment

It would be a Sabercraft. When Skagit went out of business many employees went to Sabercraft and built similar boats. Looks to be a early 60s Sabercraft. Clint

Comment

Welcome Aboard.
                I have to agree with Clint.
                Looks like it could be a skagit but like Clint says, Sabercraft.
                Notice the lower bow cut in the water. That is what gives her a better ride in rough water !!!
                Nice score.. Can't remember the stingers on those......Skagits had Fiberglass stringers...
                Maybe dig her out and get some close up shots of the inside floor ?opcorn1:

(That Skagit is looking pretty slick Dave :cool1
                Helmar Joe Johanesen
                1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

DMCI that's the boat i was thinking of but after finding the emblem and the unfaded spots where the side emblems were i'm fairly certain it's this style of sabre craft in the pic minus the hardtop.thanks for the welcomes and when the title comes back i'll post the info.
                  Attached Files
                  john woods

Comment

well i just got off the phone with wa marine board.turns out by their records the mystery ship is a 1969 sabrecraft.i was hoping it was older but i'm one step closer too getting this in my name.they're sending the info of the last registered owner so i can get a certified letter to them to release interest.keep your fingers crossed they don't want it or try to extort $ from me.
                    john woods

Comment

Originally posted by rotten imp, post: 25758
                      well i just got off the phone with wa marine board.turns out by their records the mystery ship is a 1969 sabrecraft.i was hoping it was older but i'm one step closer too getting this in my name.they're sending the info of the last registered owner so i can get a certified letter to them to release interest.keep your fingers crossed they don't want it or try to extort $ from me.
                      Just because they tell you it was titled as a 1969 doesn't mean it is.
                      I have ran into some of the Skagits that were titled as the late 60's and Skagit went out of business in 1961 when the factory burned to the ground.

You might find a ID tag on her some place that someone might have information about, who knows..

It would be interesting for you to update the procedure that Washington has about getting a title and license for the boat, so please, keep everyone informed about the process for Washington boats.

This may have changed in Oregon too. Back several years ago, I ran into a boat that was abandoned, so I thought. Come to find out, the fellow that really owned it was in prison. But, here is how it played out.

In Oregon, if you found a boat and it had Hull numbers on it, you contacted the Salem Marine board. They would give you the last known registered name of the owners.
                      You were to send a Registered letter to them.
                      If the letter was Returned, not accepted, you were to take that sealed registered returned letter into a bigger envelope and add 60$ to it and mail it to the Salem Marine board. (they will send you a letter to have it inspected looking or a HIN number (Hull Identification Number) If none, they will issue one, if it has one, the police inspection will have that HIN number on the paperwork so send that with your registered letter and 60 bucks), then they send you a clear title.

If the registered letter IS accepted by whoever, they have 30 days to contact the Salem Marine board to claim the boat.

In the registered letter, I told them the boat appeared to be abandoned so I removed and stored it and about to file a towing and storage lien on it.
                      I heard nothing from them.

Free is not always a good thing, you are right, no such thing as a Free boat.:nono1:
                      Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

thanks Helmar.that is pretty much what washington told me as far as the process goes.i like the towing and storage angle as it is on my trailer.talking with the wife we kinda had the same thoughts about the year,they just picked one.the partial emblem on the transom cross brace is the only identifier on the boat.i looked at the glassics website and the sales brochure didn't list the impella17 in 1969.i will keep posting the process of getting a title.right now wa marine board is mailing me the last registered owners name and address.
                        john woods

Comment

i got a letter from wa state department of licensing.with a form titled vehicle/vessel information disclosure request.basically ask's your name,how you got the boat,what type of info are you requesting and for what purpose.
                          then they make a statement : there is no guarantee you will be provided the information.
                          john woods

Comment

incase anyone is following this.wa said there is no record of the hin, so it has been a long time since it's been tagged.so monday morning i call oregon marine board find out the next step.
                            john woods

Comment

Interesting thing about the State of Washington up in Port Townsend.
                              The court system and DMV is run by a couple of old gals that have a issue with Power. They turned into power freaks.
                              Some of the people from Jefferson county will not even go in the DMV due to how many times there mood changes the process of getting tabs or titles.
                              They end up going over to Poulsbo and get things done over there.
                              I learned, call, find out who your talking too, go in and Ask for that person.
                              I know some folks had next to know problem, others, not fun.
                              For the most part, I never put a value on anything more than a hundred bucks in fact, I have most people fill out the title as Gift. And them, they are looking for the money.
                              Good luck on this and Yes, keep us posted.
                              Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Working...
                              X