tip request - shift cable install

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tip request - shift cable install

First I want to thank Workrelease for sending me the end piece that attaches at the motor (mine broke first trip out). I need to come up with an attachment bolt (not sure how it attaches to the shift lever as that went missing when the old attachment piece broke

Tonight I installed the rebuilt starter and then started on the shift cable. I had removed it completely from the boat to measure incase I had to replace.

After about an hour or so of trying to thread the cable into the control box shift handle (its a small tube with a even smaller hole with a screw on each side the cable slips into). I have been trying to do it without taking the control box apart.

is there a trick to make this easier, or do I have to remove the throttle/shift box (johnson/ evinrude model) and disassemble to gain access or can it be done with some trick with it still installed (aligning the hole in the tube to the correct depth to let the cable slide in it tough, it keeps slipping to low or tow high)

those that have tried this know what i am discribing, if it does not make sense, you are lucky you have not had to do this..

Help..........

I got it installed after another hour of playing with it.., now I have to just put some water to it this weekend and see if it will start on its own and go into forward and reverse..

Comment

Boones, it really shouldn't start on its own. That can be really dangerous.

Sorry, couldn't resist ...

Comment

Will the real comedian please stand up?

Originally posted by Tim McCrain, post: 2871
        Boones, it really shouldn't start on its own. That can be really dangerous.

Sorry, couldn't resist ...
        Of all the stand-up joints in the country, you had to walk into this one...

Or as a "friend" of mine used to say:

He doesn't have to stand there and take that kind of abuse, he can get that ANYWHERE...

The Cap'n
        "The beatings will continue until moral improves..."

Pat Drewery

Comment

Originally posted by Boones, post: 2870
          I got it installed after another hour of playing with it.., now I have to just put some water to it this weekend and see if it will start on its own and go into forward and reverse..
          I hope that's not how things go for you in the bedroom LOL!

Comment

Where was this humor when I was trying to get the tiny cable into the even smaller hole without being able to see it, this was one of those times when you needed an extra hand to make it go quicker....

Comment

You're not really saying you'd want us there making smart-a__ remarks while you're doing something challenging, are you?

Comment

It's not a mistake if you can hide it-

Originally posted by Tim McCrain, post: 2910
                You're not really saying you'd want us there making smart-a__ remarks while you're doing something challenging, are you?
                "Help" like that is why I usually work on projects alone.

Besides, if there's no one else around you have at least SOME chance of hiding your mistakes under the next layer to go on...

The Cap'n
                "The beatings will continue until moral improves..."

Pat Drewery

Comment

that is so true, no one around means no one can see the slip ups, the redo's and all those things you dont want mentioned....

Comment

This is starting to sound like "it ain't speeding if'n you don't get caught!"

Comment

I have another serious question

On the JohnsonEvinrude throttle/shift control box there are two knobs, one that is for throttle friction (I am guessing this slows or speeds up the throttle feel) and there is a idle stop

What does the idle stop do and how does it work. I ask as with the boat in neutral I have very little throttle movement, but in gear it seems to go to higher RPM's. Does this impact this. or does it just limit the low side of the throttle so you do not stall the motor when you pull back to the slow speed (to me it seems it should have been in the rear side of the control box to limit the low RPM, not on the forward side)... If this does set your lower RPM limit, do you screw it in or out to increase the RPM minimum...

thanks for the help

Comment

Working...
                      X