Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Member with '49 Axtell

Hi All,

My name is Tony Laidlaw and just joined the club. I live in Boise, Idaho but grew up in Longview and have been around Axtell runabouts since my dad bought one in 1957, a used '49 14 footer with a 35 hp Evenrude. I still have it today but with a '68 65 hp Mercury.

I have always had a soft spot for these little classic runabouts made by "Pop" Axtell and his 3 sons, Cedric, Gayle and Harry. My father told me that they made between 18-24 of these boats mostly for friends in the Cowlitz Boating Club, where on most any summer weekend you could find 5-10 of them down by the docks on the Cowlitz River. We could tell from a distance who's boat was whose by the color of the bottom. The most common color was red but others were pink, yellow and blue. Oh the memories ans stories....

I have been out of touch with the community of Axtell owners and was pleased to find this site. I would like to know if anyone has an idea of how many of these classic little gems remain, where they are and their condition? I am not asking for any reason than curiosity.

Tony Laidlaw

Hi Tony and Welcome to the Forum.
    We have several people I believe that know about the Axtell's, lets see if they surface..
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Laidlaw, post: 28217, member: 2402
      Hi All,

My name is Tony Laidlaw and just joined the club. I live in Boise, Idaho but grew up in Longview and have been around Axtell runabouts since my dad bought one in 1957, a used '49 14 footer with a 35 hp Evenrude. I still have it today but with a '68 65 hp Mercury.

I have always had a soft spot for these little classic runabouts made by "Pop" Axtell and his 3 sons, Cedric, Gayle and Harry. My father told me that they made between 18-24 of these boats mostly for friends in the Cowlitz Boating Club, where on most any summer weekend you could find 5-10 of them down by the docks on the Cowlitz River. We could tell from a distance who's boat was whose by the color of the bottom. The most common color was red but others were pink, yellow and blue. Oh the memories ans stories....

I have been out of touch with the community of Axtell owners and was pleased to find this site. I would like to know if anyone has an idea of how many of these classic little gems remain, where they are and their condition? I am not asking for any reason than curiosity.

Tony Laidlaw
      Tony -

I had one of the pink-themed Axtells and always assumed it had been repainted by some later owner, so it's interesting to hear that some of them came that way. I sold it to another member of the club and don't know if it has been restored. Member Bruce Drake of Portland had an original beauty, but it's been sold, too, I believe...so I'm not aware of any Axtells in NWCBC that are currently in use...other than yours, of course.

Great boat design!

- Marty Loken, Nordland WA
      http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

[ATTACH]15964[/ATTACH] image.jpg Tony
        I'm the one who acquired the Axtell from Marty a couple of years ago. I've made contact with the builders grandson, who remembers helping out in the shop when they were built. Attached, is a picture that Marty had of the boat from quite a while ago (it came to me without a deck or engine, but is in pretty good shape). It is currently hanging in my shop waiting for my retirement to begin restoration.
        17' Johnson Runabout (1964) Completed
        18' GlassCraft Imperial (1959) Done!
        19' Campion Bowrider (1999) Great family ski/tow boat
        25' Skagit (1960) Two of them. What am I thinking?
        14' Axtell Aquacraft (1950ish)
        14' Stilleto

Comment

Sorry about my previous reply. I was using the wrong browser and couldn't see anything in the reply box...

Marty and Karl, Good to meet you. I knew Bob ("Butch") Axtell when I was a little boy. I may have misled you on the boat bottom colors. They were usually changed by the owners when they redid the bottoms. Some people glassed over the original plank bottom, while others replaced the planks with plywood. I will share a picture with you of my boat when I get it back from the shop. The engine hasn't been turned over for 18 years and I am having it checked over.

Comment

Karl, I noticed in your picture that you are still using the pulley and cable steering for your Axtell. I was recently told that with my 65 hp motor I should convert to linear (rack and pinion) steering. Do you or anyone in this forum know what the engine requirements are? I would hate to have to cut into the boat to change the steering system.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Laidlaw, post: 28491, member: 2402
              Karl, I noticed in your picture that you are still using the pulley and cable steering for your Axtell. I was recently told that with my 65 hp motor I should convert to linear (rack and pinion) steering. Do you or anyone in this forum know what the engine requirements are? I would hate to have to cut into the boat to change the steering system.
              This is an old picture of the Axtell. So it is not set up with anything right now. I don't think that there are any rules about hp and stearing systems, but I would confirm with a smarter person than me! I still use a pulley system for my Merc 850 and used one with a Johnson 115
              14' Stilleto

Comment

Originally posted by Karl, post: 28493, member: 54
                This is an old picture of the Axtell. So it is not set up with anything right now. I don't think that there are any rules about hp and stearing systems, but I would confirm with a smarter person than me! I still use a pulley system for my Merc 850 and used one with a Johnson 115
                Hi Karl,

I will be heading over to Washington to do some research on the Axtell boats and would like to meet with Robert Axtell, the builders grandson, for more info. You mentioned that you contacted him earlier. If you still have his phone number, could you please send it to me? Uou can call me at 208-283-8850. Thanks, Tony

Comment

I will look for it on sunday
                  14' Stilleto

Comment

Working...
                  X