New owner of 1958 Skagit 16' Ski-Master

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New owner of 1958 Skagit 16' Ski-Master

Howdy folks, new user here just bought the above vessel. Hopefully this boat can handle the San Juan Islands because that's what I bought her for.

So what have others with this boat down for gas tank solutions? The two saddle tanks have been removed on mine and currently using a 6 gallon red plastic gerry can. Thanks,

I have a 1959 Skagit Skimaster. They are a fine boat. Will be fine for the San Juans, Watch the weather and be careful going across the Rosario Straights. I run a 100 HP 1967 Johnson on my Skimaster. I run 2 six gallon tanks strapped to the floor just behind the front seats. With my thirsty 100HP I do go through the gas. On long runs I use my 17ft Skagit that carries 46 gallons of gas with a 140 HP Mercury. I also run a CMC power trim unit on my Skimaster. The Skimaster seems to handle the weight just fine. If you have any soft spots in the floor the 1959 Skimaster has a different stringer set up so be careful and don't step on the high spots. Be happy to answer any question if I am able. Clint
    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Clint - there is one slight soft spot amidships slightly to starboard in front of the rear seat. hardly perceptable though unless you're looking for it. There is a bit of a crack in the floor fiberglass right down the middle. nothing to bad but it seems more rigid in that region so I'm wondering if it developed due to a stringer underneath there that wasn't flexing as much as the rest of the boat. thoughts? i should snap a photo and attach really.

Comment

Treejay, I use a 50hp Evinrude on a 17 Skagit Express and I usually start out with two 12 gal. tanks but I can hold 66 gal. if I want to by adding three more 12's and a 6. 24 gal. is more than enough for a couple of days out. I would really recommend that you carry at least 24 gal. and don't forget to add Marine Sta Bil to counter Ethanol.
        Greg James

Comment

II see we may have two Skimasters. Since I am typing challenged I hope posting on one message gets to both parties. Nothing worse then posting and getting ignored. I will post a picture of a 1959 Skimaster stringers. This is not my boat, but the one my hardtop came from. It has a stringer section that is a one piece that goes from side to side. I would guess that it is very lightly built an lets the hull flex some in chop. Do not step on the raised part of the stringers as they are weak. These are very nice boats. Clint
          Attached Files

Comment

GregJ and i was out in my SkiMaster on Lake Washington one of the first times and Greg tap me on the shoulder and said "look in the back" behind the front seats you could see the floor flexing...humm. It also has a slight raise in the middle of the floor as well.
            Attached Files
            1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
            1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Is the red and white Skimaster your old one?

Comment

Originally posted by strobee, post: 28518, member: 7
                Is the red and white Skimaster your old one?

Yep ! That was Don Lee's former boat in LaConner
                1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
                1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Working...
                X