Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bearcats Rule!!

This just blows me away.
    My Bearcat has sat out in the weather all winter. Pictures of snow stacked up on it after the tarp tore off in a wind storm.

Thank you Bill Roberts for helping me find a very stupid problem on my part.
    I had checked and adjusted the timing, Right on a gnats whisker, Adjusted the points, same thing, Only to have Bill walk up to the boat, tell me to Run your throttle control wide open. I did and Bill pops off the linkage and tells me, Uh Joe, you only have about 3/4 throttle....
    Boy did I feel stupid but Thank you Bill.

I just replaced my throttle cable from the controller to the engine and Wow, what a smooth feel.
    My old cable had come loose and went Way out of adjustment. I also found that it Never had full throttle since I have had this engine.
    Part of the linkage was hitting the cowling and not allowing it to go wide open either. I really had to look for that but had pulled it off and notice were it had been bottoming out.

Now I have full throttle

I checked the lower unit before setting he down in the barrel and touched the starter. Bendix kicked out a few times and she fired right up and purred like a kitten.

Yep, I am sold on these engines.
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Honda's Rule, Homelites drool...
    Happy to hear you got a motor dialed in Helmar.
    ChuckB
    "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." K. Grahame "The Wind in the Willows"

Comment

Originally posted by ChuckB, post: 3105
      Honda's Rule, Homelites drool...
      Happy to hear you got a motor dialed in Helmar.
      ChuckB
      Hey Chuck.
      I wonder were Honda got the idea for 4 stroke outboards

If I could afford a Honda, I would have one for sure, But, I also like the hell out of these old Homlite Bearcats as you can tell.

Because of you, I know own the Large version of the Glasspar Sea Fair Sedan.
      Just need to get back to working on my own stuff some time soon
      Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Homelites still drool. Vintage Kool, well yes. But, my big fat Sabrecraft ( a lot heavier than when Marty had Her), loaded with 22 gal of gas, two batteries, fishing and cruising stuff and my fat behind, traveled over 90 miles according to the GPS, averaged 18-25 mph ( 4-5K RPM) and used just over NINE gallons of gas. Granted, smooth water most of the time and 4 to 4.5k RPM, but still, almost 9 miles to a gallon. With the little delMar, it was 12. I like the sound of a Harley V-Twin, but for dependability, I'd prefer my GL-1000.
        ChuckB.
        ps the Seafair Sedan would do real well with one of those scardycats.
        "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." K. Grahame "The Wind in the Willows"

Comment

Originally posted by ChuckB, post: 3114
          Homelites still drool. Vintage Kool, well yes. But, my big fat Sabrecraft ( a lot heavier than when Marty had Her), loaded with 22 gal of gas, two batteries, fishing and cruising stuff and my fat behind, traveled over 90 miles according to the GPS, averaged 18-25 mph ( 4-5K RPM) and used just over NINE gallons of gas. Granted, smooth water most of the time and 4 to 4.5k RPM, but still, almost 9 miles to a gallon. With the little delMar, it was 12. I like the sound of a Harley V-Twin, but for dependability, I'd prefer my GL-1000.
          ChuckB.
          ps the Seafair Sedan would do real well with one of those scardycats.
          Dollar for dollar, its hard to beat those Bearcats.
          Like I said, if I could afford a Honda that someone didn't run the crap out of, I would sure like to have one.

You must be referring to Harleys Before 1984. Once they came out with the EVO engine and bought the company back from the AMF, they don't break down. I did over 41K on an EVO and never had to pull the covers off her.
          Just changed fluids, rubber and batteries. I will stick with Harleys due to the resale value

I am really thinking of going I/O with the Seafair Sedan. If not, a pair of Bearcats as she is a big boat.

Boy, listen to me. I have so many projects its not even funny.
          I need to get my 20 Skagit Offshore back in the water before anything else...Geeze.....
          Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

still drool...

Salt does wonders for old Iron. I bought the Honda thru Honda Finance, couldn.t afford one either. I just couldn't stand being the only smoking sputtering overly loud 2 stroker at the launch. And, like you, i was tired of working on old Outboards. So i bought what i couldn't afford (paid it off fast) stuck it on an old boat and so it goes.
            Yes I was referring to old Harleys. I could never afford a new one, so the GL 1000, and a lesser known CBX in line 6 that i owned briefly. Too crazy those younger daze... ChuckB

Comment

Working...
            X