Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New user and owner of a (?)

Hello,
    I am new to the forum and to owning a boat. My husband and I purchased a runabout off Craigslist for him to use for crabbing. We were told it was a '65 Skagit runabout but there is nothing on the boat to identify as such. The more I have researched it the more I've been interested in restoring it but have been told by people not to waste my time. Just thought I would post here to find out if I can identify it (and to read up on what it might take to restore it).
    (The boat was originally red, but someone did a terrible paint job on it that I would like to remove or redo. )

Thanks for any information or suggestions.
    Sandy
    Attached Files

Welcome to the group Sandy. The Skagit experts can confirm, but that does look like a Skagit to me. Looks to be in pretty good shape as well. Have fun with it this summer.
    Steve Kiesel
    1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

Hi Sandy.
      Pretty sure its titled wrong which is typical for the State of Washington.
      As the story goes, Skagit built boats from 1955 up through 1960 when the factory burned to the ground.
      They had some hulls that were not burned that they say were finished in 1965 but they were supposed to be 17's or 20ft express boats.
      Yours seems to be one of the last 1959 or 1960 14ft hulls that was called Skagit Utility boats. Meaning it was designed as a work boat, crabbing etc. She was very stable in rough water.
      Nevertheless, its built hell for stout. They had a wood transom and wood floor but the biggest thing that was a major plus about the Skagit boats, they also had Fiberglass Stringers..

We have a few of the boys that were pretty versed with the Skagit history and one of those who check in pretty regular is Tim Jones.

The LaConner Car and Boat show that it up in LaConner Washington is the home of the Skagit boats.
      At the show, I think Bruce might bring his totally restored Skagit 14 and he could tell you every thing about them from tip to stern.
      Here is the Sport boat of those and its called the Sportster.
      Attached Files
      Helmar Joe Johanesen
      1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
      1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
      Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
      2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
      http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Sandy, Very nice boat. The only problem with your boat it should have a stripe on the sides of the hull. Maybe some one painted it out at one time ? Chuck
        Attached Files
        1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
        1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

That you for the welcome and the replies...yes the boat has a bad paint job inside and out. I was wondering about the stripe but it looks like everything was taken off and painted with none of the original items put back on. Including any identification. We did measure it trying to figure out what it might be and it is 15ft. But I would agree it seems like it was made for working since it doesn't have the seat design I have seen in so many pictures. Also I thought the transom was fiberglass...but I will have to take pictures when we are back down at the boat.

I was told the floor was restored, but it looks like the paint is already peeling off the flooring and since I know very little at this time about boats I haven't dug any deeper to see if it was actually redone correctly. I have never refinished a boat but I would love to figure out how, and if, I could redo the the inside and outside of the boat. Or if that's something that needs to be professionally done. I don't mind the blue color, but if it's possible to restore it to the original red I would love to learn how to do that. (When I said that earlier, my husband shook his head and walked away He thought my refinishing projects were limited to furniture.

I will definitely try and make it to LaConnor, when is the boat show?

Comment

Originally posted by S.J., post: 28858, member: 2421
            That you for the welcome and the replies...yes the boat has a bad paint job inside and out. I was wondering about the stripe but it looks like everything was taken off and painted with none of the original items put back on. Including any identification. We did measure it trying to figure out what it might be and it is 15ft. But I would agree it seems like it was made for working since it doesn't have the seat design I have seen in so many pictures. Also I thought the transom was fiberglass...but I will have to take pictures when we are back down at the boat.

I was told the floor was restored, but it looks like the paint is already peeling off the flooring and since I know very little at this time about boats I haven't dug any deeper to see if it was actually redone correctly. I have never refinished a boat but I would love to figure out how, and if, I could redo the the inside and outside of the boat. Or if that's something that needs to be professionally done. I don't mind the blue color, but if it's possible to restore it to the original red I would love to learn how to do that. (When I said that earlier, my husband shook his head and walked away He thought my refinishing projects were limited to furniture.

I will definitely try and make it to LaConnor, when is the boat show?
            Sandy, The show would be a perfect time to come and ask question about painting and other items. The show is August 9th starting at 10 am. to about 4 pm.There will be all sizes of boat 14 ft to ??
            1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
            1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Thank you! I put it on the calendar and plan to be there.

Comment

Ignore the nay sayers, Sandy. Waste of money? Bah, think of it as entertainment. That's how I do it.

Little runabouts like that are fairly easy to restore. And it's a lot of fun too. Once complete, you will have pride of ownership every time you use her.
                John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
                Past Affairs:
                '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

Glad to hear they can be easy to restore...being my first attempt I was hoping for something easy. I did see a 1957 Skagit on Craigslist that I'd love to tackle. But it will have to wait until I learn what I'm doing.

Comment

I totally agree will all above! Runabout restorations can be as easy, fun, and expensive as you want them to be... We have been "restoring" our '69 Chris Craft for 4 years and it's not anywhere close, BUT I have worked hard to keep it useable the whole time so we still get to enjoy it and people seem to like seeming the progress each time we bring it to club events.

Good luck and look forward to meeting you in LaConner!!
                    Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
                    1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

Sandy, Love your classic. Boating is Much more fun with living history and a stout boat.

Welcome aboard,
                      Allan & Sue
                      1958 Dorsett Farallon
                      1959 Bellboy Ballerina

Comment

Working...
                      X