Hello every one! New user here!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello every one! New user here!

Hi kids, I have been lurking here for three weeks or so and wanted to jump in and say thank you.
    When a Skagit 17 Express popped up on craigslist down here in Southern Oregon, I thought it was a neat boat and did the google before having a look at it. I found your site and...
    I sat on this site for an hour and learned much about the boat. I went down and looked her over, using what I learned here on this site to make an informed decision.
    I made an offer in cash and towed her home.
    The transom was freshly redone but the owner could not reassemble the boat, not enough time or knowledge so I did get her cheap.
    He said the motor was good (I know outboards) but everything else had been taken apart. The bones were good if not ugly.
    I have her all back together now except for some painting/hatchwork on the upper fore deck and VHF radio install.
    She is a 1958, original owner boat, new motor in 1972. Last fished or in the water in 1993.
    She had been painted a few times, light blue, dark blue and all of that mess was peeling away. I took her down to the gel coat (Salmon pink) and though the color wasn't too faded or thin, a few area's burned through so I had to paint her.
    Floors are solid, transom is new of course, the bulkhead has been painted but I will take it out over the winter and have a go at renewing the finish as well. The steering wheel needs a touch too, a bit corroded.
    Lake trials today after I fit a kicker for safety.

I don't have any questions, this site answered them all through the archives and others with the same boat.
    Just wanted to say thanks!

http://imgur.com/a/fCaQ9

Before and after (I was doing the lower end service).
    Not Bristol but 400.00 and change for a seaworthy boat ain't bad.

Oh, we sailors call powerboats stinkers, I am a bluewater sailor/circumnavigator and when my sailing friends saw this boat, they started calling me darkside...sailor. I am ok with that!

Welcome to the group.
    I am glad you found enough information available that helped out.
    I myself am in Eugene and I think I may have seen your boat as we do have a few of the boys that troll the Craig list looking for Glassics. I am glad that you have saved her as now that she has some new wood in her, she will just keep going.
    Nice thing about the Skagits and those Glass stringers its not such a project to bring them back.

I have one of the 20ft Offshore Skagits that I need to get back on some day soon....Those 17's are just a durable and you will see those out in rough water up in the San Juans quite often.

Sound like you were able to really get after her to get her done like that.
    You should be able to upload some fresh or even old pictures of her.....We like pictures

We Really like Progress pictures as he helps people like yourself

Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Very nice looking boat. Always liked the lines of the Skagits.

Comment

I won't be doing much more for now, doing lake trials in an hour and then fishing her for the next month if everything checks out. I am retired and have lots of time to get after things.
        I am hoping to find some nice woods on the bulkhead and bring the cockpit back. The cabin is in good shape but needs updating/lighting and paint. I like the full canvas, being a sailor I am used to getting wet so staying dry while fishing will be nice.
        I build surfboards so fiberglass is second nature to me, these Skagits were built right and built tough.

I was really hoping to save the original color in the gel coat but it was too far gone. I used Interlux tinted to what I think is close to the original color. No glass repairs though there is a hull bang I will do over winter.

I am hoping to set her up for late season tuna once the engine checks out. The original fuel tanks are in excellent condition with no breakdown or flaking. I did refit the battery bank to the cabin ( I have three AGM's with 3000 watt inverter aboard, will power a coffee maker, small microwave) to get some weight forward, that is a lot of freeboard in the wind.
        Ok, off to the lake and lets see how she runs out.

Thanks again for the site, I would not have purchased this boat without so many of you posting such a wealth of knowledge.

Oh, the link from imgur should show exterior before/afters.

Comment

Originally posted by 61_express, post: 29691, member: 942
          Very nice looking boat. Always liked the lines of the Skagits.

I don't remember what person said this but the statement was something in the order that it would take three like bayliners to make One Skagit.
          After doing a bunch Skagits, I tend to believe that.
          Pretty much Any of these old girls, you foam under the floor around the stringers and if, and I mean IF, you could punch a hole in the hull, it would have to come up Through the floor before she would take on any water at all.
          Pretty much all these old Glassics were build way too good to penitrate the hull to start with. Foaming the bulge's makes them more rigid, quiet, as well as with all that closed cell foam, she is not going down.

I think about that in the Columbia River as she has some pretty nasty rock cropping's lurking under the surface in places.

My first Skagit was a 1958 Offshore with a B16 Volvo I/O
          Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Originally posted by darksidesailor, post: 29694, member: 2459
            I won't be doing much more for now, doing lake trials in an hour and then fishing her for the next month if everything checks out. I am retired and have lots of time to get after things.
            I am hoping to find some nice woods on the bulkhead and bring the cockpit back. The cabin is in good shape but needs updating/lighting and paint. I like the full canvas, being a sailor I am used to getting wet so staying dry while fishing will be nice.
            I build surfboards so fiberglass is second nature to me, these Skagits were built right and built tough.

I was really hoping to save the original color in the gel coat but it was too far gone. I used Interlux tinted to what I think is close to the original color. No glass repairs though there is a hull bang I will do over winter.

I am hoping to set her up for late season tuna once the engine checks out. The original fuel tanks are in excellent condition with no breakdown or flaking. I did refit the battery bank to the cabin ( I have three AGM's with 3000 watt inverter aboard, will power a coffee maker, small microwave) to get some weight forward, that is a lot of freeboard in the wind.
            Ok, off to the lake and lets see how she runs out.

Thanks again for the site, I would not have purchased this boat without so many of you posting such a wealth of knowledge.

Oh, the link from imgur should show exterior before/afters.

I DO remember a issue with the old stock tanks. Seems that this crap gas was turning the fiberglass into snot that would get into the engine.
            We did have some of the boys that replace them with plastic and aluminum tanks but we also have one of the boys that just put a really fine filter system in his and last known, was not having any issues.
            That was Jeff with his 20 footer.
            Myself, I have the plastic tanks to replace mine but really not sure I am going to go through all that trouble of putting them in. I am really thinking of a good tight filter system.
            I have dual webers on mine and (34 ICH if I remember right) that are just Way too easy to go through and clean.

I too like Full canvas. I am too old to be cold and wet. Did that for years on the motorcycle.

Here is mine.
            Attached Files
            Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Wow, that is a beautiful set up. I have another frame and bow set up to take it all the way back, seeing yours might have me buying fabric. My wife sews very well, having done sails for years.
              This boat has foam between the stringers, there was some water intrusion at the end of the floor before the bilge but it was dried well before the previous owner had it glassed.
              I do glass work and I will redo the floor only if to keep it cleaner. The fairing onto the cockpit walls isn't right. I want to be able to hose it out after fishing and crabbing.

She ran out well today, no issues. I used both stock tanks but brought along my 6 jug just in case. I do have filters on both lines. The fuel lines are copper and flare ended coming from the tank. I did not Y them, installed clips for each fuel line.

She rides well, the 65 hp pushes her along well enough, motion through the water was comfortable and I can see this boat having a kindly sea motion in up to 4 foot seas. That freeboard design is very well done but I did see the bow blown around in 20 knots of wind today. I disassembled the steering and replaced anything worn, its very smooth throughout.
              The only thing I might add is a pulpit and stanchions, safety lines led to the cabin sides.
              I thought about replacing the hatch but I will lay it up with some stringers and glass a few layers on because its far too flimsy to step on.
              I like the boat and it will get some use. I live a mile from the Bay and a few miles from Lakeside. I have a slip in Charleston on an annual, right now my 18' Laguna Windrose sailboat is in it for bay sails and overnights to South Cove.
              We will have the Skagit up at Blue River reservoir most of next Summer, we spend weeks up there as July on the coast is a bit windy and cold.
              Alright, have to run.
              Packing for some Salmon in the bay tomorrow...

Comment

Nice score! Sounds like you went right to work to get her back on the water...awesome! You should start a thread in the boat restoration or main forum and start showing off some pics!
                Either way, Good to have you aboard!

Comment

Originally posted by darksidesailor, post: 29694, member: 2459
                  I am hoping to set her up for late season tuna once the engine checks out.
                  Welcome to the club. Great to have someone with extensive blue water experience here. I've entertained fantasies of going after some Albacore as well at some point, though in a 21'-6"(extended hull 19'-6" Skagit). The question is though, where to put all the fish you catch in such a small boat. Have you been out for tuna before?

Comment

Originally posted by Skagit Hideaway, post: 29707, member: 2454
                    Welcome to the club. Great to have someone with extensive blue water experience here. I've entertained fantasies of going after some Albacore as well at some point, though in a 21'-6"(extended hull 19'-6" Skagit). The question is though, where to put all the fish you catch in such a small boat. Have you been out for tuna before?
                    I have done tuna in all kinds of boats, from my 36' sailboat to my little Catalina 12' sailboat. It helps to be very close to the water so when conditions permit, you can be out there quickly. The tuna have to be close in (say 15 miles for a day trip) and seas less than 4 feet, otherwise it isn't safe because you will go overboard. On the right powerboat, it is much safer with the higher freeboard.

I like the Skagit design for this reason, this 17' has a great layout for both salmon and tuna.
                    I had been looking at an older Starcraft and a Tolly but this 17' or the Offshore 20' are good candidates for close in tuna. Using the cabin for a fish hold (up to 300 lbs is my estimate to be safe and stable) means I can't dress the boat interior up but you can't eat cushions! Yesterday I realized I have to flip the forward hatch so it opens to the stern so instead of beefing up the original, I am going to make a new one over winter. The cabin roof may get some more lay up as well, it seems a bit thin and resin/glass is cheap for this application.

Fishing off my 36' cutter rigged sail boat, we lined the V berth with thick plastic and dumped in ice, bled the fish on deck and then dropped them down the forward hatch into the berth. We could get about 600 lbs. on board this way and clean up was fairly easy. These fish were for our annual family canning. I have not been able to get out this year on that boat, conditions really have to be perfect otherwise safety and the amount of work involved are too much.

A friend and I sailed our little boats (12') out 15 miles last year, ideal conditions though and we were in wetsuits, full COLREG gear on board. We chased the commercial guys and hooked up four fish each. That was the best fishing ever as landing a 35 lb. tuna on a little boat is a challenge, as a fisherman and as a sailor. I have not seen those conditions this year though my little boat is rigged and waiting. The local Coast Guard tends to get worried but we have radio's and offshore gear and more or less know what we are doing. And we are usually surrounded by sport and commercial boats.
                    I will not say I wasn't worried on that little 12' 10 miles out but we knew the conditions were going to be perfect for the day. We had a perfect 14 mile reach at 12 knots when coming back over the bar, NOAA was flawless that day!

The hardest part is having to stop at 100 lbs. of tuna because the little boat becomes a handful. Its pretty tiring as well, even on long reaches. But getting back to the dock and seeing the reaction on peoples faces is priceless. With the right preparation, you don't need a 50k boat for a 50.00 dollar fish!

The thing with tuna and the right boat is fuel costs. My cutter has a 2.0 liter diesel and 5.5 knots for tuna sips 3/4 gph. So it isn't too expensive to get out to the fish. We do troll under sail and while it is a purist thing, its a lot to keep track of unless its a 10 mile reach. Usually go back to the iron sail later in the day because sail trimming to maintain trolling speed has me doing more sailing and less fishing while trying to stay on the boat. We have safety harnesses and class 1's on but always, safety first at sea. We overnight on her and the fish are well kept till we get back the next morning.

Next year, I will repower my Skagit (or, if I can find an Offshore 20') with a newer 85-100 motor, the current 65 hp Johnson checks out very well but is not fuel efficient like the newer motors and fuel costs add up. It is also very heavy! With a more efficient motor, getting out 25 to 40 miles is workable. Tuna are at the 10 mile line right now but the wind is at 15 knots so today is out for a 17' boat, my partner and I are going to hit the bay for some MOB training on the Skagit, you have to know how the boat handles and safety drills are a must on a new to me boat. Our next weather window is a week out, I hope the tuna hang out a bit longer.

I can't stress enough though that any one thinking of taking one of these classics out into open ocean, do your prep. Be absolutely sure of your vessel. I have had this boat two weeks now and I know every little bump, gel coat crack and nick there is on her. If anything shows more stress or signs of weakness, I will know it.
                    I have two radio's with AIS plus a waterproof handheld VHF, offshore PFD's and a small inflatable life raft, EPIRB, two 200 GPH Rule automatic pumps, three deep cycle batteries, full tune up kit including coil packs, tools. I wouldn't go over the bar with anything less.

Sailing blue water teaches one to be always capable of self rescue and barring that, staying alive long enough to be rescued. My big sailboat has double spares for everything, I mean everything, from the smallest washer for the sink pump to a complete emergency rudder system. When we sailed Coos Bay/Mexico/Hawaii/Alaska/Coos Bay, I could rebuild the head on the Mitsubishi diesel at sea if I needed to!

Ok, got a bit long winded there but like most of us here, I love talking boats! And fish!
                    Sunrise in a half hour, time to load up and see if there are any salmon in the bay and my partner doesn't know it yet but we are both going overboard!

Thanks for the welcome, this site is a treasure and the posters who share so much knowledge make it easy for guys like me who know very little about somethings and too much about others!

Comment

I don't think I have ever seen any stress cracks that would have anything to do with safety.
                      Those Skagits are built hell for stout anyway.
                      One of the boys has a 25 footer for sale. A good donor boats power train would fit just right.
                      Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

This hull had a crack that started at the large, poopshute hole, went foreward and towards the keel, and ended with the last 12" of the outside cuddy stringer broken. No sign of sharp/hard object inpact damage. Excessive wave pounding?

Comment

Had to been as I have Never seen one cracked like that.
                          Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Originally posted by Skagit Hideaway, post: 29725, member: 2454
                            This hull had a crack that started at the large, poopshute hole, went foreward and towards the keel, and ended with the last 12" of the outside cuddy stringer broken. No sign of sharp/hard object inpact damage. Excessive wave pounding?
                            It wasn't on a Skagit but a friends 14' sport boat had something similar. He never strapped the stern down on the trailer and when the trailer hit a bump, the boat left the trailer and would come down hard on the bunks. I did the repair for him and took him straight to Bi Mart for stern hold downs.
                            Hard to see a bout of your size doing that but a boat is at a lot of risk on a trailer bunk if it isn't set up correctly.

Had fun but no fish on the Bay yesterday. MOB drills were fun though and it was almost 75 degrees on the water.

One thing this site doesn't warn you about with this classic boats-how long it will take to get her off the dock when every one wants to talk about your boat!
                            Lots of smiles and thumbs up among the sportboat tin can fisherman. We cruised up around the casino and through the new Maritime Museum, every one looks at her.
                            Up on plane, she feels really good and steady. I haven't fixed the vacuum style knot meter but my chartplotter showed 30 mph over land, 34 through the water with 1/4 throttle of headroom. Nicely done for an old 65 hp Johnson and a heavy boat.

Off sailing today before putting my sailboat away for the season.

Have a great weekend every one!

Comment

I had one fellow come up to me that had some sort of sporty newer boat and said he would trade me pink slips. He was kind of rude when I told him I was not interested and began to tell me how much he paid for his boat.
                              That is when I said anyone with money can go buy a boat. I rebuilt mine from the ground up.

Yes, lots of people like these Glassics as you don't see them at every boat show with crazy price tags on them.

We try to help everyone that wants to bring one of these old Glassics back to life.
                              No depreciation like new boats by the way.

Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Working...
                              X