Lake tapps event may 30th info

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lake tapps event may 30th info

There has been a little confusion on the Lake Tapps Poker run event. It will be held on May 30th (weekend after Memorial Day), not on Memorial Day weekend. The weather is always up in the air, but with Tapps, an overcast day works best to keep the majority of the lunatics off the Lake. This year we are going to organize a small potluck BBQ during the event. I will have a BBQ set up for burgers or dogs while we all sit and tell boat stories. I have several locations to choose from depending on how many think they may attend. If you add a quick response here if you are planning on attending, I will finalize the location and get more details posted. The last few years, we have started around 10:00 am and gone to about 3:00-4:00. If it is a nice day like this past Sunday, it may work better to start a bit later and use the Lake more in the early evening. Regardless of the location we will have access to private launches and dock space.

For those that don't know, here is a little history and some facts about the Lake..

“Lake Tapps was formed in 1911 as a reservoir for power generation by Puget Power Electric. Originally the area consisted of four separate lakes, Lake Kirtley, Lake Tapps, Crawford Lake and Church Lake. Two and a half miles of earthen dams allowed the water level of Lake Tapps to raise 35 feet joining the four lakes together.
    The lake surface area consists of 2,566 acres with a storage capacity of 46,655 acre-feet of water. With 45 miles of shoreline Lake Tapps is only 13 miles less that that of Lake Washington.
    In 1954 much of the land around the lake was purchased by Lake Tapps Development Company from Puget Sound Power and Light Company. The original intention of the company was to provide summertime recreational home sites. As part of this program, a number of local parks were created for the use of property owners within the various projects. Also, Pierce County was given 70 acres, with nearly a mile of shoreline, and the City of Bonney Lake was given two acres of waterfront property for public use.
    The white River, with it's head waters located on the northeast slopes of MT Rainier, supply the lake with its water.
    Large runs of fish, mainly salmon, migrate throughout the White River. A fish trap is maintained at the diversion dam located near the town of Buckley. After trapping, the fish are hauled by tank trucks and released at the Mud Mountain Dam Reservoir.
    Summer boating, skiing and personal water craft is the primary use by the public of Lake Tapps. Two public parks, one at the north end and one at the south end allows for public access to the water. Eight other private parks located around the lake provide access for resident members.”

The Lake is located just a few miles South of Auburn. There are several gas stations and restaurants close by, but nothing accessible by boat. If you have any questions, or need more information about the event, don't hesitate to post or call.

Brian Franchini
    (206) 423-4644
    BRIAN FRANCHINI
    LAKE TAPPS, WA.

Brian,

We are excited about your event. It was alot of fun the last time we were able to attend. Count us in along with Joe's sister and her husband, who are also members. I am working on getting the day off, but with the airport you just never can tell, however Joe will be there even if without me.

Comment

Diane and I plan to attend. Looking forward to getting the old boat wet after a long dry spell (Snohomish river run was our last outing).
      Kent & Diane
      '58 Westerner

Comment

Glad I looked at this as I thought it was on the 23rd.. Was planning to attend, will have to double check to make sure we have nothing planned, it might be my first good boat outing.

Comment

Lake Tapps

Weather permitting, I will be there. I'm itching to get my boat on the water or the first time.

Comment

Brian, We plan to be there. - Ross
            Ross Henson

Comment

I am trying to make this event, my brother lives just around the corner from the lake but I missed last year due to hydroplane racing in Richland. Weather permiting I will be there with a small group crazy people...
              Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
              1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

Lake Tapps-Boataholics Anonymous meeting,

Hey guys, we've been contemplating the makeup of this splinter faction, and hope that a familiar brand of insanity will permeate this gathering of like minds.

Although we are in full project mode, the unrestored '61 Stiletto & Exxonvinrude Valdez will be de-winterized for the sole purpose of attending the Bacchanalian Feast/Poker Run that Brian is planning.

P.S.- My 16 year old son has asked if there will be any hot "chics"...

Comment

Greg, tell him that it's boats and water. They (being the afore mentioned" hot chicks") are attracted to it like the warm neon glow of the sign that reads "MALL"

Comment

Tell him there will be lots of hot chicks, the ducks and geese are hatching out their young by the dozens.
                    Lovely La Rue and the Kingston Kid

Rhapsody - 2001 Classic Craft Gentleman's Racer (FOR SALE)
                    Lil' Red - 1957 Bell Boy Express 18 ft Cruiser (someday!)

Comment

Hot chicks, well Hell, its a Lake with boats. They will be there trolling for the young Hunks

Brian.
                      We are ready to run with the Skimaster but not sure if everything in the planning here will come to be.
                      Means, I don't know but the good wife would really like to see the Lake as I told her about it last year..

Hope we make it......
                      Helmar Joe Johanesen
                      1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                      1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                      Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                      2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                      http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Lk Tapps event

Brian ...As I said earlier , after the planning meeting ,..we would be happy to host the BBQ, or whatever, if you are interested. we are right on the lake, and have a large patio/yard....just have to figgure out how to park the boats ?????? Let me know if you are are interested \...... Steve
                        Attached Files
                        Steve Tweit

1954 Mansfield..double cockpit runabout
                        1955 Mansfield 17' express
                        1960 Rynell Jetabout
                        2007 Bxxxxxxx "daily driver"

Comment

Brian,
                          Cheryl and I are planning on being there. We pulled the Avalon out yesterday to start the "summerization" process.
                          PS- Bringing my own hot chick!!!..............................(that'l get me a point or two!)
                          Attached Files
                          Gordon and Cheryl Davies

Comment

Words of caution!!!

So I just talked to my bother who was out on the lake this past weekend. He warned me that the sherriff boats where out writing $600 tickets to anyone "rafting" together. This apparently included those people who tied boats together on long lines and shoved them far apart. No two boats are allowed to be tied together for any reason other than emergencies.

Not likely to be a problem for our group in this event but just keep it in mind when planning gathering points.

PS: Would a 1991 Seabold Eagle 1 (19' racing tunnel hull) be able to participate in with our group? It's not a traditional classic but there where only 3 ever built and 1 is in a museum, 1 burned to the water line and my brother has the only one left on the water...
                            Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
                            1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

Your brother is right. They are trying to crack down on the "Party Cove". During a nice day, literally 100's of boats fill one cove area of the Lake. In an effort to curb this, they somehow passed a no rafting law. There is one area on the Lake (just North of the public park) where it is allowed but also happens to be a part of the main Lake that can get really rough on nice weekends and makes rafting a nightmare. If it happens to be nice, the "Cove" is an interesting place to cruise through just to people watch. I am finalizing the locations and schedule this weekend and will post the details ASAP. One suggestion I will make is that we start a little later (say 10:00-11:00) and plan to stay a little later in the evening. The public launches close down around 6 so the Lake really calms down in the evening.

The tunnel hull is more than welcome. Mike Collings brought his 1977 Marlin hull with BBC power to several events last year. Just a side note, the Lake is open for Hydro testing Wednesday nights and Saturday mornings. No speed limits enforced on the main Lake during these days. This time of year almost guarantees one or two limited boats on the water testing early in the morning right in front of the launch we will be using.

One other note regarding the Sherriff patrols on the Lake. Make sure you have current tabs on the boat and your numbers displayed. I got pulled over last year in my woodie and barely talked my way out of a $257 ticket for not having hull numbers on the boat. I don't want to scare anyone away, just make sure you have the basics...tabs, registration, your driver’s license, boater’s card if you have one, PFD's for each person, horn or whistle.. just in case.
                              BRIAN FRANCHINI
                              LAKE TAPPS, WA.

Comment

Working...
                              X