Outboard mechanic in Seattle?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outboard mechanic in Seattle?

OK...so I call a "Mobile Marine Mechanic" a neighbor had used...supposedly a great old guy..."really knows his stuff"

He shows up this morning to look over the Lark...figured an evaluation and maybe a thermostat, impeller, fluids, timing etc. so I'll be off to a good/safe start...

we get it started, he tinkers for a while then he pulls out a chair and sits behind the motor and looks at it for about 20 minutes as I watch from an upper window...finally my curiosity gets the best of me and I go ask what's up...

He's says "I don't know what I'm doing here...can't figure out how to get to the impeller...I'm leaving..." with that he picks up his tools and his chair and drives off...

huh?

I had described the make/model/year (1960 Evinrude 40hp Lark) over the phone and he said he knew them well and no problem..."we'll get her running like a champ"...

at least he didn't ask for "show-up" money ;-p

so let's try this again...

anyone know a decent mechanic around seattle who works on these? I know there's someone on Whidbey but was hoping to find someone closer in.

Thanks...Ric
    '59 19' Glasspar Club Mariner (for sale)
    '63 17' OMC Deluxe (My current lust boat)
    '65 16' Evinrude Sweet 16 (for sale)

The Man is " Norm Boddy" in Edmonds 234 st. s.w. just off Aurora . You will have to get it to him I don't think he does house calls. 425 670-0840 I just had him do some work for me and he was very reasonable and he probably has the parts if you need any? Good Luck
    Rick & Sarah

1959 Larson "Falls Flyer"

Comment

Hi Ric, like you said, at least it didn't cost you anything. Look under the Resource guide on the main page of this website. There are several folks listed there that I'm sure will be more reliable. I've heard a lot of members using Norm Boddy, I think he is in Edmonds.

But check the list, there are several.

Good luck.
      Steve Kiesel
      1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

Ric, Call Norm before you go as he works out of his home and might not be there. He lives a little bit west ( more in the Highway 99 area )of 205th and I-5 just to give you a rough idea. Best,Chuck
        1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
        1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Thanks all...

I guess he's the man...from what I read going anywhere would be foolish

Comment

If you feel like driving the opposite direction, I have had good luck with Hilton Outboard Repair in Tacoma. They are right along Highway 16 before you go across the Narrows. They tuned and tweaked a 35 hp 1959 Evinrude for me for less than $100. Also worked on a Johnson that they didn't charge for the diagnostic when they broke the news it was too far gone.

Another option that is even further South is Thom (Frankenmerc). Although he works mainly on Merc, he does do some OMC items as well. He just finished my Merc 55A and it looks and runs like brand new! Well worth the drive to Shelton.
            BRIAN FRANCHINI
            LAKE TAPPS, WA.

Comment

Thanks Brian...

That really helps as I'm heading that way more often than north

...Ric

Comment

Working...
              X