New nwcbc applicant

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New nwcbc applicant

Hello everyone, my name is Chuck Long, I'm from Spokane WA. I've always loved those old finned outboards of the 1950's. This past summer I picked up a 1959 Glass Craft Crown Imperial. Currently restoring it. Needs a lot of attention and it might realistically take me two years. Picked up a good running 1967(?) Johnson Meteor 100 hp motor. Had a 1959 Mercury dockbuster. Love the old Mercurys, hate the dockbusters. My family had one when I was growing up, I remember always having to untie and shove off before (hopefully) starting and having at least one of us kids on my the bow to catch us as we arrived back at our boat slip. When we fell while waterskiing, (rarely, of course!) we learned to get our ski back on quickly as our dad hated to shut off the motor so if we didn't have our ski on we would have to hold the rope handle with our teeth being dragged through the water trying to get our ski back on.

Welcome Chuck L.
    I think you might have come to the right place as a bunch of us are liking those old boat too

Might try and post a picture or pictures if you can. We all like pictures.

Our site is still under construction but still, Enjoy.

Welcome aboard.
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Thanks Helmar, I tried to post a couple of pictures but they didn't upload, I guess I will try again.image.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Chucklong View Post
        Thanks Helmar, I tried to post a couple of pictures but they didn't upload, I guess I will try again.[ATTACH=CONFIG]12735[/ATTACH]
        That seemed to work. Nice Fins
        Helmar Joe Johanesen
        1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
        1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
        Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
        2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
        http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Welcome to the group Chuck. Those are some serious fins. Have fun with the rebuild and keep us updated no matter how long it takes.
          Steve Kiesel
          1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

Chuck, I make it over there occasionally I usually go up to Priest. Next time I go over there I will let you know and maybe we can get together and go for a cruz.Willamette08GregSusieAtFallsBest (v3).jpg
            Greg James

Comment

Welcome Chuck! Spokane, not too far away where you can't make it over for an outing with the club!

Comment

Hello Chuck,I live not far from you up in Pinehurst. I ran a 1966 Golden Meteor on my Uni for a while. Great motor but a bit thirsty. I saw that boat on craigslist for a while, was hoping someone would pick it up. Welcome

Comment

Pinehurst. Where do you usually use your Uniflite? Coeur d Alene? Those are neat old boats.

Comment

Yep usually launch at Higgins Point. Sometimes we go to Harrison and cruise the southern end of the lake. Next year we may launch here at Cataldo and do a river run.

Comment

Hi Nick and Chuck-
                      Here's a pic you both might recognize- June 2010.
                      The family cruiser spent her first 5 years on CDA, and moved to W. Wash but brought back to CDA one week a year after that. Upgraded to the motor you see DSCN3577.jpgthere- 1964 90 hp. -uses the inline 4 barrel carb which improved the fuel consumption over previous 2 barrel 1958 50 hp.
                      Hope to take the cruiser back to CDA one of these summers soon....
                      Love the classic Uniflite !
                      bruceb

Comment

What a nice looking boat. Love Coeur d' Alene Lake. Lots to explore.

Comment

Love that picture Bruce, the original gel coat looks awesome! Someday I'll make it out to CDA...

Comment

Very nice boat! Know that spot well, down at Harrison city dock.
                            Let me know when you guys make it this way, I know a few good spots

Comment

Thanks for the comments, gents. Yes, CDA has a huge space to explore. That pic in Harrison brings back memories, as we'd tie up there and "boat camp" overnight at the dock-1958-63. Parents would go up to One Horse Charley's for a beer. I'll always remember having a beer with dad in 1977 on the deck at Gateway restaurant.
                              On the burgundy gel coat,cabin top/ forward deck looks great for 24 hrs after waxing, then the oxidation begins !
                              Love large lakes where you can explore, camp, anchor and have restaurants to visit.
                              bruceb

Comment

Working...
                              X