June 6th and 7th, Launch of the Saratogan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• June 6th and 7th, Launch of the Saratogan

I guess the launch event starts at 12 noon on Saturday. Unsure where in Friday Harbor, is there more specific information?

I'm looking for anyone who is interested in buddy boating over together? I would like to leave Washington Park in Anacortes on Saturday morning around 915 AM. This should give us plenty of time to get there and get a slip at the Port of Friday Harbor.

Will anyone be joining me for staying in the Islands that evening and cruising around the Islands on Sunday? Again the idea is staying at an Island Park, time permitting after the event. If there is not enough time to get to a Park in the evening then the plan would be staying at the Port and still cruise the Islands on Sunday. I recommend packing enough food and water for staying at a Park that evening and all day on Sunday, you would also need an anchor and at least 150 feet of line.
    1956 Enduracraft Monterey
    1976 Cal 2-27 Sailboat
    1986 Mariner XL Seakayak

June 6th

Would like to mention that the tide is going to be very low Saurday morning, probably a minus. Don't know what the ramp tidal range is at Washington Park? Don't as yet know where the launch will be? Jensen's don't want to open up on Saturday.

If worse comes to worse, I'll drop the boat in the water Friday PM and we'll have to do an in the water christening at the port. Still working on details and putting in long hours on the boat.

More later...

McSkagit
    Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Launch options.

Good point Tim, thank you for checking on this, I'm looking forward to seeing your boat. Can we bring something to support this fun event?

I checked and the tide will be too low to launch at the Washington Park ramp. I guess anything below 0 feet and it can't be used. At 8am the level will be zero and at 1022 it will be at -1.7 ft.

I called Skyline Marine Center (360-293-5134) they are located about 1 mile from Washington Park in Burrows Bay. They have a monorail launch system that can be used at any level of the tide. They open at 8am and close at 3pm, cost is $32.40 round trip and parking is $9 per day. Another idea is lauch at Skyline for $16 one way and retrive the boat at the Washington Park ramp on Sunday. The two places are 1/2 hour walk between them. Using Skyline is a little expensive but the good part is your not getting salt water on the trailer.
      1956 Enduracraft Monterey
      1976 Cal 2-27 Sailboat
      1986 Mariner XL Seakayak

Comment

Next Weekend....maybe

Hey Lowell,
        We talked of this awhile back and I`m still toying with making it.We just may be able to swing it and have been out with the Miss BeeHaven a few trips for Lings this week.
        Hope to finish another big job to cover expenses.....the last hurdle.
        Will be in touch or call me if you wish.
        TimM
        unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
        15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
        SeaRay 175BR
        Hi-Laker lapline
        14` Trailorboat

Comment

Sandy and I will be running our 1961 22'Bartender to Friday Harbor that weekend. There may be another Bartender or two joining us also. We'll probably be leaving Bellingham Friday afternoon but we're uncertain yet on an exact schedule. Looking forward to meeting some of you guys and seeing the wonderful accomplishment of Mr. McSkagit.

Bill Childs

Comment

Are there any good alternatives to the Washington Park ramp for those of us from the South? I've thought about Everett but that makes it about a 50 mile one way, a quick look at the Saratogan, and quick return to get back unless of course there is a weather related event. Or should i just get up at my normal 3:00 AM and get to WA Park about 6:00? The Ferry is too expensive, I'd rather spen time on my boat burning my gas. Any good ideas?
            Thanks, ChuckB
            "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." K. Grahame "The Wind in the Willows"

Comment

Launch Alternatives...

Chuck -

It sounds like the suggestion made above (Skyline Marina) might be a good one. Another option, of course, would be to launch late Friday and run across to Friday Harbor, overnighting on your boat there. If you returned to the Anacortes ramps Saturday afternoon, the tide would be high again, of course.

- Marty
              http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Saratogan launch update

Saratogan launch and sea trials June 6th

Due to logistics here and that of those headed this way, I've decided to launch June 5th on the high afternoon tide at Jensen's Shipyard on the east end of Friday Harbor. If everything goes as planned the boat will be at the Port of Friday Harbor next to the ferry landing.

An alternative launch ramp is in Cornet Bay, north end of Whidbey Island. I'll check with a friend who lives there what kind of tide is possible to launch.

I've lined up a trailer and hoping the owner comes through. Another friend is helping install the bridge and load the boat onto the trailer.

All a bit mind boggling at the moment.

Update tomorrow...
                Tim
                Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Cornet Bay...

(I think Tim's suggesting Cornet Bay as an alternate launch ramp for guests coming to Saturday's shindig...not as an optional ramp to launch the 31 Skagit...)

Seems to me from past experience that you can drop boats in at Cornet Bay when the tide's quite low. Getting them back on your trailer would be more challenging at a low tide...but those going to the San Juans will face high(er) tides upon return to Cornet Bay, or whichever ramp they choose.

So, it sounds like the Saratogan will be right in the middle of things in the main Port of Friday Harbor marina, just west of the ferry dock. Will be easy to find, and hopefully visiting boats will be able to find guest-moorage slips fairly close to Big Momma.

- Marty
                  http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Working...
                  X