Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie from Gresham, OR

Hi all,
    I'm Dick Johnson and I've been lurking here for a couple weeks after Joe (Helmar) talked me into joining. Joe and I have know each other for 40yrs, I just realized that! Anyway after attending the Portland Swapmeet in April this year I came across a Bearcat 55 with a Crosley, the car was sold but the engine was not, asking price was $300. I called Joe for advice on prices of these, made an offer and bought it. In the back of my mind I've wanted one of these since I heard one on the Clackamas river many yrs ago. I have it running now but it has compression issues. I since purchased two more, one good runner and a short shaft parts engine and have another two parts engines in the works. When I get into something I become obsessed! I don't have a "classic boat", I bought new in '89 a 16ft Sylvan Super Sportster (it's now 20yrs old, maybe a classic?) which is where the Bearcat will reside. The boat has sat unused for the past 16yrs and in that time the transom has rotted, along with the trailer tires. I'm about 3/4 done with the repairs and can't wait to try out the Bearcat. So while the boat is not a classic the engine is.

I've been in the marine industry for 35yrs, building and repairing ships, tugs, and barges. I've attached a picture of our last barge just before it's launch. This will be on it's way to Seattle in June.

I may just have to try and make it to your event in July on the Columbia.

Dick
    Attached Files
    Dick Johnson
    1989 16ft Sylvan (Bought it New)
    '57 Evinrude 18hp
    '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
    '72 Johnson 6hp
    '61 Homelite 55 Shortshaft
    '65 Homelite 55
    '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
    '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Welcome to the group Dick. To bad you missed the Crosley, I don't imagine there are many of those around. I'm also running a Homelite 55 on my Glasspar Seafair. Plus one in the garage that needs some work.

Hope to meet you on the Columbia outing. By the way, it's July 11th, not June. Have a good one.
    Steve Kiesel
    1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

Welcome, Dick. I know what you mean about wanting a Bearcat after hearing one running. My first encounter with one was while on our first outing with the group. My wife and I were floating in the lake with the hood off our cursed 80 hp Merc trying to get it running right, and Joe cruises silently (and economically) up with his Bearcat to see if we needed anything. My first thought was yeah, I need your motor! After Joe left my wife Cindy says "we need one of those motors, it was quiet and didn't stink. And, it was running."

Needless to say, when the wife says "buy another motor" a guy just has to oblige, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Super Sportster, post: 3303
        Hi all,
        I'm Dick Johnson and I've been lurking here for a couple weeks after Joe (Helmar) talked me into joining. Joe and I have know each other for 40yrs, I just realized that! Anyway after attending the Portland Swapmeet in April this year I came across a Bearcat 55 with a Crosley, the car was sold but the engine was not, asking price was $300. I called Joe for advice on prices of these, made an offer and bought it. In the back of my mind I've wanted one of these since I heard one on the Clackamas river many yrs ago. I have it running now but it has compression issues. I since purchased two more, one good runner and a short shaft parts engine and have another two parts engines in the works. When I get into something I become obsessed! I don't have a "classic boat", I bought new in '89 a 16ft Sylvan Super Sportster (it's now 20yrs old, maybe a classic?) which is where the Bearcat will reside. The boat has sat unused for the past 16yrs and in that time the transom has rotted, along with the trailer tires. I'm about 3/4 done with the repairs and can't wait to try out the Bearcat. So while the boat is not a classic the engine is.

I've been in the marine industry for 35yrs, building and repairing ships, tugs, and barges. I've attached a picture of our last barge just before it's launch. This will be on it's way to Seattle in June.

I may just have to try and make it to your event in July on the Columbia.

Dick
        Dude.
        Glad to see you come aboard.
        I have a Classic for you , when your ready
        Helmar Joe Johanesen
        1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
        1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
        Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
        2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
        http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Purrs like a kitten and only drinks what it needs !!
          Attached Files
          Rick & Sarah

1959 Larson "Falls Flyer"

Comment

Thanks everyone

Just wanted to thank everyone for the welcome. My transom work was completed today, tomorrow I will mount the engine.
            Dick Johnson
            1989 16ft Sylvan (Bought it New)
            '57 Evinrude 18hp
            '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
            '72 Johnson 6hp
            '61 Homelite 55 Shortshaft
            '65 Homelite 55
            '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
            '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

Working...
            X