Just Joined

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Joined

Hello! I'm new to the classic boat hobby, but I've been working with interesting and unique classic cars my whole life. Usually lower budget stuff (which still runs way more money than you expect), ie, no Jaguars or Corvettes.... I like to take things to about 90% done, that way I'm not afraid to enjoy using them in the real world. NO trailer queens.

So my boat is a 1960 Glasspar Marathon 14'. I found it on Craigslist after looking for the "right" project... not too much work, but vintage. Other than some clean up and cosmetics, she was ready to go as purchased. I have replaced all the hardware with new but period look, NOS cable steering parts, and am in the process of adding navigation lighting and gauges.

I decided to power her with a period correct Homelite 55 four stroke outboard. I've had some learning curve there, and been ripped off a couple times already. ( I bought 3 "rebuildable" junk motors... high priced scrap metal and a few small parts), and then bought a running motor "ready to go"..... yeah, right. But I have made progress and have had her out on the Columbia River a half dozen times now.

I'm in Wenatchee, Washngton.

Dave Riker

My Boat.jpg Homelite Wake.jpg
    Helm with New Wheel.jpg Homelite.jpg

Originally posted by davriker View Post
    Hello! I'm new to the classic boat hobby, but I've been working with interesting and unique classic cars my whole life. Usually lower budget stuff (which still runs way more money than you expect), ie, no Jaguars or Corvettes.... I like to take things to about 90% done, that way I'm not afraid to enjoy using them in the real world. NO trailer queens.

So my boat is a 1960 Glasspar Marathon 14'. I found it on Craigslist after looking for the "right" project... not too much work, but vintage. Other than some clean up and cosmetics, she was ready to go as purchased. I have replaced all the hardware with new but period look, NOS cable steering parts, and am in the process of adding navigation lighting and gauges.

I decided to power her with a period correct Homelite 55 four stroke outboard. I've had some learning curve there, and been ripped off a couple times already. ( I bought 3 "rebuildable" junk motors... high priced scrap metal and a few small parts), and then bought a running motor "ready to go"..... yeah, right. But I have made progress and have had her out on the Columbia River a half dozen times now.

I'm in Wenatchee, Washngton.

Dave Riker

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13328[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]13329[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]13330[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]13331[/ATTACH]
    Welcome aboard.
    Yes on watching what you buy on the Bearcat motors. We have had a few people taken advantage of on them, best to ask around before you buy.
    Spare parts are always a plus so you are ok there for sure.
    One of our members down in Gresham Oregon has done total rebuilds on them so we have a few people that know them.
    They are NOT Hot rod motors. If you want to fast, get a Merc or OMC but you will never match the fuel consumption of a Bearcat.
    Mine just sips fuel and you can idle and troll all day with them.
    Mine will never come up for sale by the way.
    I see you have the Homelite and Bearcat in your pictures. More of that story would be nice to hear about.

Being a car guy you should already know you can get all your tune up parts at NAPA for those motors.
    Hardest thing to come by is the pump impeller. Do not run her dry!. Always put the lower unit in water before starting her up!
    I also Never run mine WOT. I will take her up to maybe 3K and that is about it. I don't like pushing old motors no matter what they are.

We have not put on any events down in the lower area (Oregon, I am in Eugene myself, used to be up by Port Townsend) and been too busy with restorations and of course, keeping this forum together and working.
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

The Homelite might not be a hotrod on a 19' boat, but this short shaft on a 500lb 14' feels like I'm flying. Still been dialing it in, and have got it to where top speed is achieved at the 5500 peak HP point.

Ed down in California "built" the engine, but I'm starting to question the wisdom of having somebody who's pushing 100 years old do anything detail oriented.... used spark plug wires with dried/cracked boots, broken distributor housing, a 18 gauge wire with insulation still on it as a choke pull cable, household wire ties of assorted sizes, miscellaneous used wire spliced in short sections for no apparent reason, spray painting with no regard to cleaning or sanding first, and masking tape? why would you mask things before you paint them? (Ha Ha). Whatever bolt was in the closest coffee can used to assemble (as in none match)... I guess if they fit they work, right?

I haven't checked the block letter yet (now that I know what to look for) but what I was supposed to get was an F block assembled to look like it was a early motor. The cooling system looks like a creative hybrid of parts, more closely resembling the early system. Pertronix ignition, low and high switch for voltage regulator, electric fuel pump. That's what I've figured out so far. At least I have the three junk motors to use as a guide, and they look like one early, one mid, and one late, so I get to see the progression.

Dave

Comment

Working...
      X