Transmission fluid?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission fluid?

What type of transmission fluid should I use on my 1960 Skagit 25'? It has a 1960 Ford Interceptor 292. The previous owner thought it used regular automatic transmission fluid. Just checking, as there are different types.

Thanks
    Karl
    17' Johnson Runabout (1964) Completed
    18' GlassCraft Imperial (1959) Done!
    19' Campion Bowrider (1999) Great family ski/tow boat
    25' Skagit (1960) Two of them. What am I thinking?
    14' Axtell Aquacraft (1950ish)
    14' Stilleto

What tranmission is in it? I know Paragons all use regular Automatic Transmission Fluid (not the Ford stuff) and they are particularly picky about oil levels... The common trans was the Velvet Drive which I believe also uses standard automatic fluid but I don't know for sure as I don't have one... But if you can determine what you have I can pose the question to my wealth of old marine mechanics
    Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
    1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

I can't remember who we had that was good with that sort of thing other than Tim Jones and some of the ACBS boys.

I remember it being the Regular, ATF but I would like to hear it from someone that is really into this before I would change or add to it.

Might try to PM McSkagit...
      Helmar Joe Johanesen
      1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
      1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
      Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
      2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
      http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

I couldn't find a model name or number on the transmission. Here is a picture. I hope someone can identify it.

Thanks

Karl
        Attached Files
        17' Johnson Runabout (1964) Completed
        18' GlassCraft Imperial (1959) Done!
        19' Campion Bowrider (1999) Great family ski/tow boat
        25' Skagit (1960) Two of them. What am I thinking?
        14' Axtell Aquacraft (1950ish)
        14' Stilleto

Comment

Its a velvet drive I use dextron in mine

Comment

Definitely not a Paragon so that means most likely a Velvet Drive (there were some other off brands that are very rare, but most everything was Paragon or Velvet).. I've never heard of anyone running the Dextron before, but I suppose it probably works.. I know the key thing in these old hydraulic transmissions is that the oil level must be precisely monitored cause if they get low they will burn up the clutch plates in a hurry leaving you stranded!! I know from experience that products like Lucas Oil additives are a big NO-NO! these will cause slippage or in my case caused excessive drag where I no longer have a true neutral... It the motor is running the boat is creeping forward as the prop turns at about 50-60 rpm when motor is ideling around 750... Even after draining and flushing the trans I still cannot get the shaft to stop rotating unless I physically hold it.
            Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
            1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

Working...
            X