The Saratogan Party...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Saratogan Party...

What a great day in the San Juans! Lowell in his '56 Enduracraft met me with my Catalina 19 at Fidalgo head and we criused the San Juans before going to Tim's. Matia and Sucia were particularly interesting for me to see this close up. Water conditions were great for the most part, and the minus tide made for some particulaly interesting scenery. Classic Cab was an experience that one has to be there for to really understand. And the '31, though not complete, wow! What a boat! Pic's will hopefully come soon, but I'm tired after an 80 mile day on the water. Thanks Lowell, you were a great companion.
    ChuckB
    "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." K. Grahame "The Wind in the Willows"

WoW What a couple a days it has been!!

This past week was dedicated to getting some paint on the Saratogan as I can't make much progress without paint (installing hardware, hatches, windows, etc.). Spray painting a boat at this late stage is difficult as so much masking is required. I finished up masking last night at eleven (three days to mask it) and was back at the shop at 0800 this morning to shoot paint. My daughter arrived on the early ferry and by 1000 everything was ready. Scott McDade checked my math on the paint/catalyst/reducer ratio ( glad he did).

By noon the paint was on and was time to gear up for partying. Never did get a head count, but probably had 15 or so. Dave Calhoun started playing about 3:45 and the music added a real party atmosphere. By early afternnon I was able to remove the tent over the boat and open the roll-up doors.

Had plenty of food and refreshments, the music was great and finally rolled out the boat. A few pics and then started the starboard engine. Had a few raw water leaks, this and that, but the engine started on the first revolution.
    A bit of gear clatter in neutral, a few other things noted.

Fun afternoon and the sun came out. Funkiest party I've ever been to, but was fun. I was able to let off a little steam. Been a stessful few weeks.
    Thanks to all who made the trek up here. Didn't make the launch date, but I have new enthusiasm and hearing this big inanimate object finally make some noise was music to this mechanic's ears.

So cool to meet Scott McDade again and his wife Fran. Met Scott in the first grade! Thanks so much for the help (especially checking my math on the paint!). Really glad you both made it.....

Thanks so much again....
    Tim Jones
    McSkagit

P.S. This has been a long project and it's easy to get burned out and not feel like making any progress. This get-together and rollout has really given me a new shot of enthusiasm!

When I was a kid, the coolest thing on the water (at least in my young eyes) were the WWII PT boats. Didn't realize how big they were, but you can really see the similarity of the shape in the 'Skagit pulled out-2' photo.
    Attached Files
    Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Unlaunch party, party.

What a great day we had. Thank you Tim for putting up with us all day. We caught up with Kent on the ferry and had a nice ride to Friday Harbor. There was a little confusion with the Classic Cab but got that ironed out and had a classy ride in a classic '49 Merc to Tims place. I had no idea what a monumental project the Saratogan has been for Tim. It is absolutely a beautiful boat. It will, no doubt, be a Northwest icon. After a tour, some food and drink and meeting some great and interesting people, we had fun ferry ride back to Anacortes with Scott and Fran. I'd like to say that pictures will follow, but someone left the camera home. Oh well. Thanks again to Tim and all for a very memorable day.

Mike and Judy
      1959 Skagit 20 Offshore inboard

Mike and Judy Kronick

Comment

Thanks, Tim, for a wonderful day!

Well, it may not have been a launch, but it sure was a lot of fun! First off, I think everyone was just blown away with the scale of the project. The boat seems enormous, and the amount of work that Tim has put into this restoration is truly amazing. Tim took us all over the shop and showed us the components he's been working on over the years. Many of them are so beautiful they're like works of mid-century modern art: the swept-wing mast, the mahogany bright work, the re-chromed cleats and that huge bollard Tim's going to feature on the deck. I will try to post some of the pictures here, if I can figure out how to do that correctly.

Thanks, Tim, for being so generous with your time, and for your hospitality. There aren't many guys who could stay up till 11 masking and cleaning, get up early and paint all morning, host a yard party all afternoon including live music and a tasty barbecue, then supervise a roll-out – and never once lose his cool. I know your sister and daughter helped a lot, and everybody pitched in wherever they could – but you were definitely da man!

And thanks to everyone for being so welcoming to Fran and me. We felt truly privileged to be part of such a wonderful group of new friends.
        Attached Files
        scottmcdade

Comment

A Few more non-launch pictures

SOme of these pics are from my neighbor CaptainTerry. I wasn't aware he was taking pictures, guess I had tunel vision!

Tim
          Attached Files

Comment

Saratogan

Looks like a great time was had by all! Sorry I had to miss it.

Tim, I have a matched set of "docking lights" if you want them - It appears the Saratogan has one on the stbd side only... I have no use for them, so if you want, I'll send them up.

Another connection - The McDades were our neighbors in Burien when I was born, and my brother Doug and Scott are lifelong friends.

Small world...

Dick

Comment

Saratogan Party Docking lights McDades

Hey Dick,
              Yah, you should heve been here. I shot two part urethane that morning with the help of my daughter and was still a bit woosie by early afternoon.

You from Burien too, eh? Friends of the McDades. Wow tis a small world!

Docking lights...... I've been using them on my tow boats with GE 4509 aircraft landing light bulbs. I found one Morse type 'C' light at a garage sale (new) and decided to use it. If you have a good type 'C' I might install another. The one I have has a stainless outer trim ring.
              Thanks for the offer...

Have a question for you. Only ran the starboard engine a minute or less, but noted loud gear clatter in neutral. Went away with another 100 rpm or so. I've heard gear clatter in many engine/gear at low rpm in gear, but never in neutral. Gear is a Borg Warner 5000 down angle. 2:1 ratio. Ever hear of gear clatter in neutral before? I haven't.....

Tim

Comment

Photo's of SJ cruise to Saratogan

Some photo's of the cruise with Lowell along the way... the Ferry in dry dock is for Mr. Carey
                Attached Files
                "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." K. Grahame "The Wind in the Willows"

Comment

More on the way to the Saratogan

Matia Cove and Rolfe Cove on Matia, and Echo Cove on Sucia. There is a mile long loop trail we walked on Matia, land photos taken from there.
                  ChuckB
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                  X