Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Glasspar Owner

Hi all.

New member here on the forum. Nice to see that there are folks out there who like old classics no matter what the size or shape! I'm not much of a new boat fan; no personality. I live in Poulsbo, WA, across from Seattle. The wife and I would some day like to buy a Seafair Sedan or perhaps a Bell Boy 404 or something along those lines, but for now...

Just recently bought a 1961 Glasspar Marathon. What a cutie! She needs some work, but I have had her in the water several times in the last week and she is seaworthy and reliable.

The good:
    She is seaworthy.
    Green! it's green! It's oxidized, but it look like it will buff out.
    Reliable 40 horse Johnson circa 1986
    Not too many holes in the transom.
    Original glass in intact and not badly pitted.
    All the original hardware is there on the perimeter

The Bad:
    Stock steering wheel is long gone.
    The seats are trashed and need to be re-built and re-covered.
    There are more holes in the side board than you can shake a stick at. Not sure how to deal with these short of filling and re-gelcoating or painting.
    Wiring is pretty bad. Lots of things hanging down all over the place, no buss.

The Ugly:
    Someone mounted a CB antenna on the bow along with a big 2 inch hole to accomodate the antenna wire. Gotta fill it or cover it somehow...
    That same smart individual cut into the dash to mount said CB, so there is a 3X5 cutout right through the original wood. I'll fix that when we do the seats.
    Some one decided to re-mount the engine controls lower than original, so there are about 10 holes right above the controls. Ugly.

Overall, she is a good little boat and I think that by the end of the summer she will be in ship shape!
    John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
    Past Affairs:
    '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Ahoy!

Welcome to the club, you are amongst friends and cohorts in collecting and restoring some beautiful machines. I hope to see you and your Marathon at a club event in the near future.

P.S.- Start clearing some space for your collection, you'll probably need it.

Comment

Welcome to the forum and a great group of boaters. If you haven't already toured the cite, Tim Wilson and his wonder dog Jack have a 1960 BB 404 at a very reasonable price. I would also heed Greg's advice and locate some space to store or hide the fleet.
      1958 Skagit 20 Offshore hardtop cruiser "Kanigo"

Comment

haha. I won't be picking up a 404 any time soon. Need to get the Jammie Dodger all fixed up first. No, don't tempt me! nay!

Also, the question of where to store it arises. I have just enough room in my front for the JD and my truck to still let my wife get the van out without being THAT NEIGHBOR. Another boat woudl require renting storage space some where. Blah.
        John Forsythe

Past Affairs:

Comment

Bronze:
          You have one of the best hull designs on that boat! I've had several Glasspars and loved them all, including a Marathon. They can be really fast as well as great in choppy water. Great find and well worth the effort to restore. ChuckB
          "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." K. Grahame "The Wind in the Willows"

Comment

Welcome Aboard...

Just wanted to join others in welcoming you to the asylum. I'm sure you will enjoy your stay...and you will find that the other patients are supportive of your new, uh...hobby.

Hey, what's your name, besides The Bronze? We'd love to see photos of your boat, if you can post a few.

Hope you can make our next event at Alder Lake--one of the best of the year.

- Marty (up in Nordland, not far from Poulsbo...especially now that the bridge has reopened)
            http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Real name is John.

So what is it about that hull that makes it so special? (besides the fact that it looks sweet in the water)

Restoration is under way but she'll never look new unless I fill in all the holes and re-gelcoat the hull and upper deck areas. At any rate, I'll get her shined up enough in the near term.
              John Forsythe

Past Affairs:

Comment

To really see it look up classicglasspars.com and go the the Brochures section under '59 Club Mariner. But in a nutshell, the cool looking design is functional. You have a sharp bow entry to cut the chop and the chine is made to deflect water out and down to add lift. The bottom is never quite flat, even at the stern you have about 11degree angle, 1/2 that of a newer deep V. So you plane easily and ride well in most conditions. Hope that helps.
                ChuckB
                "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." K. Grahame "The Wind in the Willows"

Comment

Ya, that totally helps explain it! I have noticed that it planes pretty much instantly and that it does ride fairly dry.

Anybody know where I can get a factory manual for the boat? That would be a cool addition to it's character.
                  John Forsythe

Past Affairs:

Comment

Working...
                  X