Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1972 Seafair Sedan

Hello Classic Boat Club

I've had my Sedan for about 17 years and have kept her around sitting and waiting for another trip in the water (She Needs Work):eek:. I plan on driving her out to Alder Lake so I can get some input and advice from club members. Marty mentioned that a couple more sedans may show up!!! I hope you guys don't mind me taking pictures since I have yet to see a Sedan fully restored!

See You Guys At Alder Lake !!

George

Hi George. I would be one of the Sedans making the outing. But things have changed, and we won't be able to make it. I can send you some pictures if you want.

The other Sedan that I know of is Tim Mattson's. Not sure if he plans on attending the outing or not.
    Steve Kiesel
    1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

George,
      Welcome to the group! We look forward to meeting you. See you at Alder Lake.

Comment

It's ok Steve.... Maybe next time...Some questions I have is the placement of your fuel tanks...and how big. I talked to Marty about working on my boat and he mentioned Alder Lake for input. My boat is not ready for the water and needs some work. I know the older Sedans had more detail. My doors from my sedan seemed simple.. I re-did them out of Teak nothing speacial. Marty mentioned that Sedans were made of Mahogany..So I need some details. I don't have seats etc... Well maybe next time.

George

Comment

It will be great to meet new friends and enjoy the day at the lake.

Thank You

George

Comment

Hello George

Hey George ,
            Been pretty busy with good weather and more work than I know what to do with.
            My Seafair is the one Steve referred to and I may just make the Alder Lake event but never can predict when I have to work yet another weekend day.
            My Seafair had lots of Mahogeny that was either good or soft and bad,not much in between.Most was Red and good so only the cockpit sides and walls needed the extreme makeover.
            I do have many items not done and started using it before I knew what I wanted to do with it.After splashing it I learned a few things I want to change.....
            The helm area does get wet on the floor when in rainy or when washing and I wished it had a raised portion with flip up floor board so entry to cabin isn`t made harder.I have no door so it isn`t cluttered but does get drafty when trying to dodge wind.This will also raise the viewpoint when driving so seeing the bow is easier.I left out the old flip up helm seat and opted for a seatbox with lid at the rear and fixed short Alum ped for the driver.
            The pass side has the Drybox option so passengers get to ride in back like Miss Daisy.
            The rear cross bench I made with old door frames worked out great,fuel and oil tank fit nicely under it and filling is a breeze.
            The boat also is weight sensitive left to right but can also be driven by leaning or stepping left and right.It tracks like no boat I`ve owned and does ride perfect at 23-26 mph,which is half throttle on my 70 hp.
            A 9 gallon tank shaped like the 6 is what I`ve found to be good ,plus a 3 or 6 gallon "Get Home" tank for the kicker and reserve.
            Mid-ship out of the well seems better with no water to slop around as when in the very back.I wouldn`t go forward as you will get too much bow weight,just forward of rear well will not change balance as you go from full to heavy,same deal when trailering.
            The very best thing I did was the custom side shelves in cabin and in the cocpit,basically giving storage area down the entire length of both sides.
            Tim M
            unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
            15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
            SeaRay 175BR
            Hi-Laker lapline
            14` Trailorboat

Comment

1972 Sedan

Great advice ! I understand about work also since I sometimes work on weekends. I need to work on my trailer !! The lights don't work and the axle may need a bearing replaced. I hope I can make the drive with my boat so you guys can see it.... If not I will still make the drive and it would be great to meet you and the rest of the club.

Well, I hope you can make it out.....I would love to take some pictures of your boat.. It would be great to see a Sedan in the water. I know the Florida Club has alot of Sedans I wish they had more close ups to get some ideas. The glasspar club has some great members with good ideas and very helpful.

I hope I can have my boat ready for the Alaska trip!!! I think I would really enjoy doing something like that with my boat. I think I would need more fuel capacity to tackle a trip like that. Like I mentioned before on the post I'm not a boat builder and have had my boat for a long while...just sitting. Now I'm ready to get her back on her feet and in the water. With the help from Marty I think this could become a reality. Here's some pictures.
              Attached Files

Comment

George,
                Your boat is one of the Larson designed hulls with the Seafair style cabin. It is going to be really different than the '59 to '68 Glasspar designed boats. The 70's boats were not as elegantly designed and appointed as the earlier models, so what you will see is not necessarily original to yours, that is, if you want original. Your hull is longer and beamier that the older Glasspars so you have a lot more space. It is also a rare find.
                ChuckB
                "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." K. Grahame "The Wind in the Willows"

Comment

72 Sedan

Thanks Chuck for the info. It's really hard to find out any info since Larson didn't put as much effort to keep catalogs for the Sedans. Well .. I guess I can come up with something that keeps the classic look....Boy..I really wish I had some original pictures... The person who owned my boat before my friend took stuff off and screwed plywood thru the hull ?? Don't ask me why!! My good friend bought and repaired the boat. The boat was out in Neah Bay many moons ago and had a motor but the wiring harness caught fire and their she sat until I came along. At the time I was living in California and came to the Northwest for a salmom derby.... I saw the boat and told my friend that boat would look great in Catalina Island...Southern California.... The boat stuck in my mind for a couple of months and then I couldn't take it anymore...I called him up and bought her. Seveteen years later she still sits but this time I think she will come back to life...I don't think I could stand another seventeen years.

Comment

Larson's Seafair Sedans

George -

I may have mentioned on the phone, but Joe Johanesen (Helmar, our message board administrator) has one of the later Seafair Sedans, just like yours and with all of the original parts and pieces included. The boat is semi-disassembled for restoration, but if you get together with Joe you can see what all of the parts and pieces look like.

You can reach Joe via this message board...or by e-mail Joe@runningblue.com

- Marty
                    http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Sedan

Thanks Marty I will send him an email.....

George

Comment

Working...
                      X