59 Skagit 20 layout

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 59 Skagit 20 layout

Anybody have any pictures of the original layout of the cockpit area in these? Also if anyone has any pictures or information on a transom rebuild I'd love to see them. Thanks. Barry
    Attached Files

Just a guess Barry, but the OSB ceiling board may not be factory
    BRIAN FRANCHINI
    LAKE TAPPS, WA.

Comment

But the combination steering and swivel seat is a novel idea...hmmmm

;-p

...Ric
      '59 19' Glasspar Club Mariner (for sale)
      '63 17' OMC Deluxe (My current lust boat)
      '65 16' Evinrude Sweet 16 (for sale)

Comment

Hey Barry! That craft looks vaguely familiar!

I was told once that gthe original layout had a sink and cabinet on the port side and behind the helmsman seat was a small 2-burner camp stove(?). But I've never been able to nail down any photos or sales brochures to prove it.

Terry

I still miss it though...
        Terry Baker - Oak Harbor

1959 Skagit 20 Offshore

Comment

58 Offshore

You are right on regarding the sink and burner. attached is a picture of my original propane one.....the sink was on the port side and I dont have a pic of it. This is the offshore configuration, of course.
          Attached Files

Comment

Original?

Richard, was this the original factory configuration? I've never seen one like this. We're trying to figure out how to get a convenient stove/sink in the cockpit of the 20 Express, and this looks like a great solution. Might be too cramped in the Express, though. Any other pictures?
            scottmcdade

Comment

RJY...That's the 1st pic I've ever seen of an Offshore with the original setup, I think it's awesome!

BARRY! You have an offshore and...I WANT MY BOAT BACK!!!!!
              Terry Baker - Oak Harbor

1959 Skagit 20 Offshore

Comment

RJY007
                Much appreciate the pictures. I really like that layout. I think I will modify it slightly to get a more adjustable helm seat but that's cool. With full canvas on it should be quite cozy. Starting to have visions of a full length hard top though. Probably just need more sleep.

Terry
                Turns out the wood in the entire transom is rotten. I got cleaning out all the holes to fill them and the drill just kept getting rotten wood. Did a few more small test holes to confirm. The design of the transom with the round corners and the curve from side to side seems to be keeping it feeling solid though so I'm just going to fill all the holes for now so I can use it. That will give me time to consider how I want to fix it later.

Ric / Brian
                Don't know how I'd figure this out without your valuable input!

Comment

Skagit Offshore

Sorry I dont have any more pictures of the sink/stove or interior layout...the stove/sink and cabinets were original. I sold the boat to one of the folks in the club (tacoma)...with the 115 merc it hit 43 mph on the GPS......Marty owned the boat for awhile so he may have some more pics of the interior....

Comment

RJY007

When I picked up the Skagit Terry told me it had a stove and sink behind the seats but I never thought about them folding into the seat backs. That idea has started me thinking of several other projects that could possibly benefit from that idea as well. If I'm careful with routing the control cables etc. there is lots of space to fold things into the side under the gunwale also.
                    My mind has gone into fold and store mode! Better not forget I have to fit fuel tanks in there also. B

Comment

Skagit Offshore Layout

Scott -

The Offshore I sold to Richard Young, and he sold to Ronnie Moss, is the only one I've seen with the original behind-the-seat stove and sink package. Offshores are less common than the Express models in the first place, of course, and I guess most have been "remodeled" over the decades by various owners who didn't like the arrangement...or wanted to switch to modern, swiveling pedestal seats.

The Offshore had another design detail in the cockpit, not shown in Richard's photo: The skipper's seat bottom was hinged so you could flip it up and stand behind the wheel with lots of room, rather than being pressed awkwardly between the seat bottom and the steering console. I really loved the whole plywood seat/stove/sink arrangement, and may replicate the folding seat-bottom idea in another Skagit 20 project.

But, to confirm your suspicions, Scott, the Offshore stove/sink unit would not fit well in the smaller Express cockpit area, although there are ways you could compress overall size of the seat/galley combo.

The finest helm/galley arrangement I've ever seen on any boat under 20 feet is the design of Melanie's 19-foot McChesney hardtop cruiser...(which is another one of those boats I should never have sold, now that I think about it!) The McChesney was designed by naval architect Edwin Monk and featured a galley immediately aft of the cabin bulkhead, with stove on one side and sink opposite. Immediately up against a short galley bulkhead was the steering console to starboard, and passenger seat to port...with both seats just barely under the aft end of the hardtop, and with full standing headroom. When Melanie finishes work on the boat, and you get your first look, you'll love the arrangement!

- Marty
                      http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

I have seen the stock ones or what might be close but mine has been changed Big time.
                        Mine is the 59 Offshore with a Volvo Penta IO.
                        Attached Files
                        Helmar Joe Johanesen
                        1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                        1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                        Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                        2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                        http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Marty
                          Thanks for mentioning the folding seat. Great idea. Of course any pictures etc. that you might have would be appreciated.

Joe
                          Wow! Your's is certainly not stock but looks awesome. What kind of performance do you get with the IO? I've been giving the IO concept some thought lately for another project. Certainly has some advantages. B

Comment

Originally posted by sparrowhawk, post: 4221
                            Marty
                            Thanks for mentioning the folding seat. Great idea. Of course any pictures etc. that you might have would be appreciated.

Joe
                            Wow! Your's is certainly not stock but looks awesome. What kind of performance do you get with the IO? I've been giving the IO concept some thought lately for another project. Certainly has some advantages. B
                            Well, both Marty and I left with the same amount of fuel from Mistery bay by Port Townsend, went up around Whidbey to LaConner for the 50th, then all the way around Whidbey and back to Mistery Bay with 6 gallons left over.
                            Marty had to fuel up half way though the run due to a big black stack and running hard.
                            We can only get her up to about 27mph on the GPS but cruise her at about 15 to 18mph and she sips fuel, just like the Bearcat.
                            Mine has the older B-18 Volvo with dual webers replacing the solex carbs.

Nice and quiet to run, talk without hollering at each other, its nice.

It went from Purple and Blue to Red and white. Really thinking of going back to Purple and back to he Purple Haze name
                            Attached Files
                            Helmar Joe Johanesen
                            1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                            1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                            Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                            2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                            http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Joe,

Your boat reminds me of a customized van that my Dad had in the 70's, minus the shag carpet.

Respect the van
                              Robert Augur

Comment

Working...
                              X