First Peek: Bruce's Bell Boy 21

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Peek: Bruce's Bell Boy 21

The main point of today's Musical Boats session was to move a canopy out of the way (together with the boat inside), so that we could finally drag Bruce Drake's 1956 Bell Boy 21 express out into daylight...for the first time since beginning its restoration.

Bruce will tow the boat down to Puget Marine, near Olympia, on Wednesday where they'll install a new Suzuki 140 hp four-stroke...then the boat will come back to the shop for final work on the interior, wet-sanding and buffing of the hull, addition of final deck hardware and hullside trim, completion of the cabin door, installation of the pneumatic-lift engine hatch, and some final paint/varnish work on the interior.

As you can see in the preview photos below, the BB21 is in its original red-and-white color scheme. (The paint used was Sterling two-part.)

We'll post a few more shots as the boat nears completion.

- Marty
    Attached Files
    http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Looks great Marty and Bruce! I can't wait to see some interior pictures. The rough layout looked very cool.
    BRIAN FRANCHINI
    LAKE TAPPS, WA.

Comment

Wow, looks even better outside in the sun. Looking forward to seeing it on the water this summer! Bruce, will be interesting to see how she performs with that big Suzuki..

Great job Marty& Joe! What are you going to do with all of that space in the shop now?
      Mark
      Silverdale, WA.
      1956 BellBoy Express 16

Comment

A Beauty!!!

Wow....Marty and Joe!!She looks great !! I cant wait to see her in the water.. When is the launch date??

George

Comment

Wow, that is sharp

That is a really great looking boat! You should be really happy with the 140 Suzuki from Puget Marine. I have one on my Campion runabout (which I got from George at Puget Marine). It sips fuel, runs smooth and is so quiet that the first time I started it (it replaced a 150 Suzuki 2 stroke), I left it to go get some more gear and when I came back I thought that it had died and tried to start it again. Needless to say, the grinding noises told me that it was still running!

Have fun,

Karl
          17' Johnson Runabout (1964) Completed
          18' GlassCraft Imperial (1959) Done!
          19' Campion Bowrider (1999) Great family ski/tow boat
          25' Skagit (1960) Two of them. What am I thinking?
          14' Axtell Aquacraft (1950ish)
          14' Stilleto

Comment

Looks great....Red and White..always good......

Comment

Marty,Joe & Bruce,That is becoming one fine looking BB 21 ! ! Best,Chuck
              1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
              1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

What a beast! Makes mine look like a dingy. Great job.
                John & Diane Kelly

Comment

That looks great Marty. When can you make Kathies 18 Express look just like it?
                  Lovely La Rue and the Kingston Kid

Rhapsody - 2001 Classic Craft Gentleman's Racer (FOR SALE)
                  Lil' Red - 1957 Bell Boy Express 18 ft Cruiser (someday!)

Comment

Kathie's 18 Bell Boy

Jack -

....Between late 2009 and June, 2010, if you wish.

- Marty
                    http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Bell Boy 21

Looks great! Are those new windows?

How was the Sterling to work with?

McSkagit
                      Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Marty

I wish! She has gotten frustrated that it is just sitting there. If she see's some progress she will drop the idea of dumping the boat. Dr Frankenmerc gave me about the same window when I last talked to him.

Let me know when you want it.
                        Lovely La Rue and the Kingston Kid

Rhapsody - 2001 Classic Craft Gentleman's Racer (FOR SALE)
                        Lil' Red - 1957 Bell Boy Express 18 ft Cruiser (someday!)

Comment

Working...
                        X