Columbia River Accommodations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Columbia River Accommodations

Okay, so we're just one week away from heading for Southwestern Washington and Northwest Classic Boat Club's Columbia River Adventure, focusing on exploration of quiet backwaters of Puget Island, Cathlamet, Skamokawa and environs.

The main event will be Saturday, July 11, launching around 10-10:30 a.m. at the marina in Cathlamet. Our waterways guide will be Tom Horn of Portland, veteran river rat who's been polishing up his tour-guide megaphone. (Many of you know Tom from our annual Slough Run event; he's the crazy guy who takes his gorgeous 16-foot mahogany speedster down through the Willow Run, usually without getting a scratch on the thing. Tom knows backwaters of the lower Columbia pretty well, so he'll be an excellent leader as we poke into river estuaries to see old boats, one-time cannery operations and the historic river towns of Cathlamet and Skamokawa by water.)

Several of us will trailer down to the area Friday afternoon or evening, July 10, overnighting closer to the event. The best choices are right in Wahkiakum County (Cathlamet, Skamokawa and area), or adjoining Cowlitz County (Castle Rock, Kelso, Longview, generally along the I-5 corridor).

For accommodations in the Cathlamet-Skamokawa area:

www.welcometowahkiakum.com

For accommodations in the Castle Rock area (just north of Longview on I-5):

http://www.castlerockwatoday.com/was...elsMotels.html

For accommodations in the Longview-Kelso area (close to I-5, east of our rendezvous point in Cathlamet):

http://www.longviewkelso.com/washing...elsMotels.html

We've been told, just fyi, that the cabins at Cathlamet's marina are all reserved for the weekend. Mo and I will be staying Friday and Saturday nights at a farmhouse on Puget Island, just across the river from Cathlamet.

Castle Rock has generally been our choice for a place to stay the night before Saturday events on the Columbia River. You get within striking distance, and still pay small-town motel prices.

Finally, for now, if you get to Cathlamet Friday afternoon/evening, you might want to launch your boat then at the marina since the highest tides are in the evening and early morning. (I'm sure the marina ramp is okay for low tides, but it might be nice to avoid the Saturday a.m. 'rush' at the Cathlamet ramp, since a lot of fisherfolk use the facility.)

We'll post more details as we get closer to next weekend's event...

- Marty
    http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Weather for Next Weekend...

The lower Columbia River area is supposed to feature 78-degree sunny weather all next weekend, when we gather next Saturday for the Columbia River Adventure.

In other words, more of the same kind of amazing weather we've been having!

See accommodations list above...

- Marty

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Hi All,

Does anyone have an empty seat available on their boat for this event? I am unable to bring the 25, but would enjoy being a passenger if possible. I can help with gas and grub.

Thanks,
      Robert
      Robert Augur

Comment

Robert, I will not be able to go on this event, otherwise you would have been more than welcome to team up with me. Best,Chuck
        1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
        1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Columbia River Rides

Robert -

There will be several ride options, including but not limited to riding with us aboard the 18 Lady Clipper (if I get it semi-ready in time!), or maybe riding with Bruce Drake aboard his 20' Skagit Offshore.

More in the next few days...

- Marty

Comment

Chuck, sorry to hear you will not be in attendance. It would be nice to see you again.

Marty, you think that I can feel confident showing up at the ramp and finding a ride?
            Robert Augur

Comment

We have space but no seat.

Robert,
              You are welcome to ride with me, wife Gina and Alex the small deaf sleeping dog. Problem is there are only two seats but there is space behind them for a plastic lawn chair. It's a BYOC deal.
              The boat doesn't go real fast, It's a small cabin boat with a 40 hp motor. If the lawn chair idea doesn't appeal to you there is room to stand up between the seats and look out through the window. Or you can sit inside the cabin with Alex. The boat is blue and we will arrive on Saturday morning around 0900 hrs.
              1956 Enduracraft Monterey
              1976 Cal 2-27 Sailboat
              1986 Mariner XL Seakayak

Comment

I have accepted a spot aboard Scott McDade's newly acquired WELIKE.

Afterwords he will be coming to Portland to see ARTHUR, the 25 Express, whose sister ship he owns via Marty.

Thank you all for your generous offers.
                Robert Augur

Comment

Scott.
                  Check your "Personal Messages".
                  Mike.
                  1959 Skagit 20 Offshore inboard

Mike and Judy Kronick

Comment

Working...
                  X