Star 10 Paint stripper test

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star 10 Paint stripper test

In another thread Joe had mentioned he heard that Star 10 might be a good stripper to try though he hadn't personally...

I decided to give it a shot today after finding some at the local Woodcrafters...at $16.00 a quart, (the only size they had) almost 4x the price of what I had been buying at HD, I hoped it would be at least 4x as effective as what I had been using...Citristrip

Prepped the surface as instructed...only tested on a small shaded area...waited the recommended times before scraping

The pics below show the results of 3 applications over the course of the day with scraping in between...this consumed a full quart of the stripper and as you can see there's still more to be done.

(note: the pics are out of order below...#1 is 1 coat, #2 is the final shot after 3 coats, pics #3-5 are after 2 coats)

The biggest surprise was in spite of how they touted it's ability to "stay wet" and keep working, the initial coat almost immediately absorbed and dried out...subsequent coats weren't any better at staying wet/active...

I'm officially underwhelmed with this one...your mileage may vary

...Ric
    Attached Files
    '59 19' Glasspar Club Mariner (for sale)
    '63 17' OMC Deluxe (My current lust boat)
    '65 16' Evinrude Sweet 16 (for sale)

Peel Away!!!!

Peel Away!

McSkagit
    Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Ric,

On Mary's Stiletto we used Klean-Strip extra strength with good results. It says not to use on fiberglass but I found the only problem was where the previous prep had sanded threw the gelcoat. We only had one coat of paint to strip and no damage to the gelcoat. I did a 2'X2' area at a time using a cheap plastic putty knife to remove the stripper and paint. It didn't take half the time listed on the can to do it's thing so if you try this product do not walk away,you really need to baby sit it.I also found I could reuse the the stripper/stripped paint mess as long as it hadn't dried,not sure it will work on a vertical surface. Sort of makes a paste that I used the putty knife to apply to the next section. Yeah I'm that cheap and it's that strong. I used 1 1/2 quarts to do the job.Available at Home Depot,Lowes,Fred Meyers $9.70 or so a qt. Sure beat sanding.
      1958 Skagit 20 Offshore hardtop cruiser "Kanigo"

Comment

Tim...I can't imagine what it was like to strip and prep that boat...even 20' seems huge when you're using a 4" scraper...guess it builds character or something...sure gives you an intimate knowledge of the hull...still looking for that stuff

Nomad...and I thought I was cheap ;-p never thought of reusing the dregs...I'm usually too worried about not catching them and having to rake it out of the gravel before my wife sees it...I'll look for the clean strip and give it a shot

all...Lon sent me a link to a you tube on Soda Blasting a plastic 'vette...guess it does work

;-p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRDX6BPzpj0

...Ric
        '59 19' Glasspar Club Mariner (for sale)
        '63 17' OMC Deluxe (My current lust boat)
        '65 16' Evinrude Sweet 16 (for sale)

Comment

Stripping paint

No I didn't strip the bottom paint on the 31. There was some sloughing bottom paint left on the boat, but it was thin and just sanded it off.

The boat that I stripped bottom paint using Peel-Away was a Sea Sport 27. About three coats of bottom paint! Was a job to get it all off and yes, there are a lot of square feet of bottom on a 27 footer.

Good luck on what is one of the nastier projects on boat restoration.

Tim
          Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Working...
          X