Columbia River Update...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Columbia River Update...

Here's your Tuesday evening update on this Saturday's Columbia River Adventure...

* I talked with our river guide, Tom Horn of Portland. He will launch with us at the marina ramp in Cathlamet (10-10:30 a.m. Saturday), and he has a variety of possible routes and backwaters we can explore. (We'll have an informal dockside meeting Saturday morning, charts in hand, to go over the options...but in short we might want to run downriver to the Skamokawa area in the morning, then have picnic lunches with our boats hauled out on a nice, protected and sandy beach on the downriver side of Puget Island. From there we can explore some of the backwaters of Puget Island, and go upriver from Cathlamet to see old logging mills, ancient fishboats and other sites.)

* Bring a small anchor and line to use when we haulout on the Puget Island beach.

* If you're coming south Friday afternoon or evening and want to launch your boat on Friday evening's high tide, no problem. Just go to the Elochoman Marina in Cathlamet--that is, THE marina in Cathlamet--and put your boat in the water. We can keep our boats in the water Friday night by motoring over to C Dock and tieing up there.

* The launch ramp in Cathlamet is good to use regardless of the tides, and there's a short-term-tieup float alongside the ramp. We'll have low tides Saturday late morning (the low is just after 12 noon), but the tide will be coming in all Saturday afternoon, allowing exploration of side channels, etc.

* So, let's all pack sack lunches for Saturday's adventure. There is a cafe at the marina, and a variety of other cafes in Cathlamet, if some of us want to grab a bite after hauling out Saturday afternoon. (I'm guessing we'll be back to the ramp by 4 p.m., allowing everyone to get home at a reasonable hour Saturday evening.)

If you're looking for side-trip ideas in the area, you might want to drive to the historic covered bridge at Grays River Friday afternoon, or Saturday after pulling your boat out of the water. It's a classic wooden structure, extremely photogenic and very much like the vintage covered bridges Back East.

We're staying Friday and Saturday nights at a farm on Puget Island. If any of you get down to Cathlamet Friday afternoon, there's a weekly Puget Island Farmer's Market from 3-6 p.m. at the farm where we're staying. (Just follow the Farmer's Market signs when you drive onto Puget Island from Cathlamet.)

This should be a great event, with good weather to boot!

Please give me a call if you have any questions...(360) 301-6737.

- Marty & Mo
    http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Robert, Could you call me at 1-800-637-9190 Wednesday morning? Thanks, Chuck
    1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
    1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Working...
    X