Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi my name is Lance and I live in portland oregon. My wife Sherry and I are the proud owners of a 1959 skagit 17 express . It was a craigslist free boat. It needs some work on the bottom ( bad patch job ) but other than that it looks to be pretty decent. It is an outboard . And had an evinrude 50 - four on the back that was missing the lower unit. So that went away, and am in the process of scrubbing 16 years of neglect off the hull. Was last on the water in 93. But the problem is there was no title. Any advice on this would be appreciated. Thank you and happy boating !

Originally posted by Lester, post: 4683
    Hi my name is Lance and I live in portland oregon. My wife Sherry and I are the proud owners of a 1959 skagit 17 express . It was a craigslist free boat. It needs some work on the bottom ( bad patch job ) but other than that it looks to be pretty decent. It is an outboard . And had an evinrude 50 - four on the back that was missing the lower unit. So that went away, and am in the process of scrubbing 16 years of neglect off the hull. Was last on the water in 93. But the problem is there was no title. Any advice on this would be appreciated. Thank you and happy boating !
    Hi and Welcome Lance.

Please share some pictures of your project.
    You can add them to your posting message as well as put them in your Album.

Lets see what needs fixed...
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Originally posted by Lester, post: 4683
      I don't know how it works in Ore., but here in WA. ,if you have no idea who the boat was registered to last, then take any numbers, hull, registration, license etc. down to you're local dept. of licensing and they will give you the forms needed to start your search...If you know the person that last owned it then simply have them sign and notarize a release of title/interest over to you..

If all else fails here you can register a boat under your name, and if no one disputes ownership within 3 years, then you will get a title...(here in WA.)
      Or find another boat like yours that is free /nearly free with a title , and use it....Good luck...

Comment

Filing for Lost Title on boats

Originally posted by timw, post: 4745
        I don't know how it works in Ore., but here in WA. ,if you have no idea who the boat was registered to last, then take any numbers, hull, registration, license etc. down to you're local dept. of licensing and they will give you the forms needed to start your search...If you know the person that last owned it then simply have them sign and notarize a release of title/interest over to you..

If all else fails here you can register a boat under your name, and if no one disputes ownership within 3 years, then you will get a title...(here in WA.)
        Or find another boat like yours that is free /nearly free with a title , and use it....Good luck...
        For a lost title in Oregon (this was 4 years ago) you would take the hull number, call Salem, they would give you the last registered owners name and address.
        You were to send a Registered letter to that name and address.
        If Not accepted and returned to you, then you take that Returned registered letter, add 60 bucks, send it to Salem and they would, one, send you a title, two, would ask you for a Free boat inspection and give you several places to go to (free inspections), then take that, send it to Salem, they send you a title.
        IF the registered letter Was accepted, they had 30 days to contact YOU about it.
        If No contact in 30 days, you take the Registered letter Receipt, send it Salem for your title.

If no Hull numbers, not sure. But if you call them with a What If, they will tell you what the steps are.
        They will also tell you what to put in the registered letter too.
        Helmar Joe Johanesen
        1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
        1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
        Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
        2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
        http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Thank you all for the info . The hull was last titled in WA . And so begins the journey. I have got my hands on a mid 60's vintage mercury outboard motor ,it's a 65 horse but should be enough to push it around to get my sea legs under me untill i can afford something with more horse power.. Thanks again for the feed back Lance

Comment

Working...
          X