New On-the-Water Event...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New On-the-Water Event...

Every year a group of classic Bartender boats (planing double-enders designed by the late George Calkins) gets together for a rendezvous and camp-out weekend. This year the Bartenders, led by NWCBC member Bill Childs of Bellingham, will gather on Saturday and Sunday, September 19-20, at Fossil Bay on Sucia Island, in the San Juan Islands.

Northwest Classic Boat Club members have been warmly invited by Bill to attend the Bartender Rendezvous, or at least drop in at Sucia to say hello during the event.

We're planning to be there with our old '59 Luhrs lapstrake inboard, and we hope other NWCBC members might wish to join in the fun, perhaps launching Saturday morning in Anacortes and running to Sucia for a day trip, or overnighting somewhere in the islands together Saturday evening, after getting together with the Bartender group.

Attached is a classic 1950's photo showing George Calkins and a customer bounding through surf into the open ocean along the Oregon coast, where George built more than 1,000 plywood boats...including a lot of Bartenders in the 19- to 29-foot range. The boat in the photo was George's favorite model, a 22-foot inboard.

Anybody up for another jaunt into the San Juans, after Labor Day when many of the crowds have disappeared?

- Marty
    Attached Files
    http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Barring any unforseen events I will be up for at least a day trip to Sucia. The mini cruise I had with Lowell for the 31' party really wet my appetite for small boat San Juan cruising.
    ChuckB
    "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." K. Grahame "The Wind in the Willows"

Comment

Marty, I like that idea,where we could meet up with you on Saturday at Sucia island after we launch from Washington Park ramp in Anacortes. How fast is the Luhrs. Maybe we could stay overnight at Jones Island, Friday Harbor or maybe Fisherman Bay on Lopez Island at the marina ? Best, Chuck
      1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
      1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Working...
      X