Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buffing the BellBoy and attaching the windshield

Hi All:
    I thought I would pass along some ideas that seem to have worked out (at this point!) with regard to correcting polyurethane flaws in the painting of the BB top deck and also the installation of a rubber seal that I hope will protect the cabin top as I routinely attach and detach the bridge windshield.
    As I was seeking advice on how to more efficiently attach the windshield to the boat, Bham-Rick suggested a product called J seal from Wefco. I bought 12' and I think its going to work beautifully for the gasket between the bottom frame of the windshield and the red cabin top. Its fairly thin and the "J" rests right along the bottom of the frame. I am waiting for the glue to cure, then I will drill through and mount the windshield in the normal way with nine bolts into T-nuts.
    The other bit of news is how I was able to vastly improve the paint appearance by following your advice. I sanded wet with 1000 grit on a padded block. I used soapy water so I had good lubrication as I sanded. I towel dried the area (shown in the pictures, it is the raised area aft of where the bridge windshield attaches. The area forward of the raised area was NOT done). Then, with a foam bonnet, I applied Perfect-it 2 and the paint just gleamed afterward. To finish I used another 3M product called Finesse-it and used a wool bonnet for this. It is a final polisher product. Fabulous! Many of the flaws disappeared and in its place, the most "wet" looking gloss shine. Its a little hard to appreciate in these pictured but the finish is mirror-like. I also have a shot of the freshly painted Merc 1350. I am very happy (and relieved!!) by this. I will eventually go over the entire boat where it is red with this process.

Best,
    Bob
    Attached Files

Bob, glad to hear your getting results you can live with. I painted my hatch cover, and finished off like you did. I couldn't believe the shine either. I used the hatch cover as a practice piece. After the third time, I got it all figured out.

The BB is going to look great Bob.
    Steve Kiesel
    1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

Thank you, Steve - we are getting there!!

Bob

Comment

Bob

It's looking great like I knew it would once you figured it out. Just remember when you buff the rest to be cautious around any sharp edges/corners. The buffer can take the paint off these quicker than you can imagine. B

Comment

BBBob...

Bob,

You keep getting everyone excited with all the great stuff you're doing on that boat and we're going to insist you "road trip" and bring it out here to it's "home waters" for an adventure - and to let us see it in person!

Great work!

Dick Dow

Comment

Hey Barry:

You're not kidding! I already had to retouch two places on the tight curves of the hull where I buffed right through the paint...

Comment

I would love to bring it out one day. It is a long trip but I have family in CA and in OR so there would be multiple reasons to do it.
              You never know...
              Bob

Comment

Working...
              X