'Round Fidalgo: Three Options

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Round Fidalgo: Three Options

Clint is right. If members were to launch at Cornet Bay next Saturday morning, it would make more sense to go counter-clockwise...through LaConner, up past Anacortes and down the outside of Fidalgo to enter Deception Pass during the 2 p.m. slack-current period. That is Option #1--launch at Cornet Bay and head east, with the incoming tidal current.

Option #2 -- Launch at Bowman Bay (just outside Deception Pass) and circle Fidalgo Island clockwise. The downside to this plan is that folks would be forced to go through Deception Pass westbound in the mid- to late afternoon with an ebbing current. (When an ebb current meets westerly wind and waves coming in from the Strait of Juan de Fuca, you can get some nasty waves building just outside the Pass...making it difficult to get back to Bowman Bay's launch ramp. An option within this option is to shuttle some tow vehicles over to Cornet Bay's ramp parking lot in the morning, after launching boats at Bowman Bay. That way, members would have the option of pulling their boats out at Cornet Bay--just inside Deception Pass--rather than ploughing through oncoming waves in an attempt to get to Bowman Bay.)

Option 3 -- Maybe this is the best plan: Launch in LaConner, motor north through the Swinomish Channel, pass Anacortes, go down the outside of Fidalgo Island and have a nice, leisurely lunch stop at the Bowman Bay public floats...then go eastbound through Deception Pass during the 2 p.m . slack...totally avoiding Pass currents, big late-afternoon wave action in the Strait of Juan de Fuca, etc. Most members would then return to LaConner in the late afternoon.

If members want to go with Option 3, launching in LaConner, we'll personally just take our time motoring from the Port Townsend area up to Bowman Bay, meeting the rest of you for lunch and then joining you during the cruise through Deception Pass and into Skagit Bay. Chuck Bauer could perhaps do the same thing, returning to the Everett ramp in the late afternoon via Saratoga Passage. Rick and Sarah could also rendezvous with us for lunch at Bowman Bay, but I'm unclear on whether they're heading back to Obstruction Island after the event...or maybe heading back to Bellingham...(?) (Either way, they could accompany the group back to LaConner if they wanted, then continue north through Swinomish Channel to either Obstruction or Bellingham.)

So....what are the thoughts of members? Whatever we do, it appears unlikely that members will want to follow the original plan of launching at Cornet Bay and bucking strong incoming currents through Deception Pass, since the maximum flood current of 5.27 knots hits at 10 a.m., just about when folks would want to launch.

What are members' thoughts...??

- Marty
    http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Marty, I vote for Option 3. We would " brown bag it " at Bowman Bay. right ? Chuck
    1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
    1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

I'm good with launching at LaConner. Surprise, the problem with the Merc 650 turned out to be throttle linkage that came undone. Miserable to be old and blind (so far I haven't hit any boats or rocks but some docks have taken a beating). I couldn't see until the sun got down into the right spot in the motor and there was that brass thingy on the throttle rod that was supposed to have a pin with a spring to hold it in place jammed down in the nether reaches of the motor. Two hours of struggling and I now have a working throttle. I set the idle up a bit as that was the reason the motor would die after a bit of idling. Kind of wish I'd bought a Homelite or maybe a souped up Crosley motor instead of having this one fixed but it is fine when it runs! Put the 9.9 Johnson that I got from Chuck C. on the bracket as a get home motor. If the bracket doesn't break or the motor fall off, I feel confident it will get me where we need to get to.
      Okay, enough of my troubles. Will take it out crabbing Wednesday and maybe Thursday to make sure everything is a go. Really looking forward to the outing. If the boat motor fails me, I'll dump my friend and show up begging for a ride.
      Jerry
      There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Originally posted by Lootas1, post: 5075
        I'm good with launching at LaConner. Surprise, the problem with the Merc 650 turned out to be throttle linkage that came undone. Miserable to be old and blind (so far I haven't hit any boats or rocks but some docks have taken a beating). I couldn't see until the sun got down into the right spot in the motor and there was that brass thingy on the throttle rod that was supposed to have a pin with a spring to hold it in place jammed down in the nether reaches of the motor. Two hours of struggling and I now have a working throttle. I set the idle up a bit as that was the reason the motor would die after a bit of idling. Kind of wish I'd bought a Homelite or maybe a souped up Crosley motor instead of having this one fixed but it is fine when it runs! Put the 9.9 Johnson that I got from Chuck C. on the bracket as a get home motor. If the bracket doesn't break or the motor fall off, I feel confident it will get me where we need to get to.
        Okay, enough of my troubles. Will take it out crabbing Wednesday and maybe Thursday to make sure everything is a go. Really looking forward to the outing. If the boat motor fails me, I'll dump my friend and show up begging for a ride.
        Jerry
        Jerry, finding an easy fix is such Good News

I have a friend of mine that is in contact with the Crosley engine people and thinking about hot rodding an engine for a tad more power.
        We shall see what happens and keep everyone posted.

Again, Good News on the easy find Jerry, way to go
        Helmar Joe Johanesen
        1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
        1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
        Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
        2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
        http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Option 3 It Is....

Unless there's a late surge of objections, we'll go with Option 3 for next Saturday's 'Round Fidalgo event, launching at 10 a.m. in LaConner, then running north through the Swinomish Channel, around the northwest tip of Fidalgo Island and south along the shoreline (inside of Burrows Island and Allan Island), and getting together at the floats in Bowman Bay for a shared brown-bag lunch before going through Deception Pass eastbound during the 2 p.m. slack.

Hopefully, everybody planning to attend will see this change in launch details. (If any of you know someone who's hoping to come--and who might not be checking this message board--please let them know...)

So...it looks like three of us (including Chuck Bauer and Rick and Sarah), will rendezvous with the rest of you at Bowman Bay...or maybe slightly to the north along the west side of Fidalgo.

- Marty and Mo

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

The La Conner ramp is really a challenge at a minus tide which is 9:15AM. It is a .2 minus. I will be slinging my boat in LaConner. I have a call into Deception State park to ask how the Coronet launch is at low tides. For everyones information. Deception Pass is actually 2 passes. Deception and Canoe pass which is on the north side of Deception island. Canoe pass is much less turbulent. I have seen Deception be nothing but white water and Canoe be glassy smooth. If you have any doubts about the pass take the small pass. Are there any floats or docks in Bowmans bay. It has been a while since I have been there. I do remember riding an underwater sled in Bowmans bay during my scuba years. If Coronet bay is a good minus tide launch, I would reccomend using it and going to LaConner and around Fidalago. Depending on the facillities at Rosario and Bowmans bay. Lunch could also be at Coronet bay. I hate to keep bringing things up, but these waters are my home waters. Clint

Comment

Option 3, then I will be motoring up Saratoga passage to La Conner. Hopefully I'll be meeting the launch party there. Anybody else for a looong boat ride? ChuckB
              "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." K. Grahame "The Wind in the Willows"

Comment

Launching in LaConner

Clint -

The Cornet Bay ramp is paved but slippery at extreme low tides. There have always been floats in Bowman Bay, so they should still be there. (Seems like there was a 100' float out in the bay, plus a float at the Bowman Bay launch ramp.)

Your idea of launching via sling in LaConner is a good one, considering the minus tide, and since the majority (so far) want to go with launching in LaConner--and the old LaConner ramp is marginal at low tides--maybe others should follow your lead and use the LaConner Marina slings.

Here's a link to the marina website. If members call one of the numbers Monday-through-Saturday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., they should get a live voice rather than today's voicemail recording:

http://www.portofskagit.com/Marina/marina.htm

Whatever members want to do is fine with me--I'm not trying to force any decisions, and I'm happy to go along with the majority opinion, which at the moment leans toward a LaConner launch and Bowman Bay lunch....allowing everybody to go through Deception Pass at the 2 p.m. slack current.

- Marty

Comment

Clint & Marty, I remember the concrete ramp at Cornet Bay was about 4feet away from the dock. That was a real bummer when you are trying to load your boat. The Sling is a little expense ( $40.00 for a bunk ) at LaConner ,but it's a whole lot easier. A roller trailer was cheaper being they can put the straps under the boat easier. Chuck
                  1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
                  1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Why is nothing ever easy? $40 for a sling at LaConner (presume that is total for in and out?) and $50 for the ferry to Lummi Island? Too, rich for my pocketbook. I will launch at home (free) and motor down. Probably not run all the way to LaConner but will try to intercept the group around March Point or at the north end of the Swinomish Channel. If the group gets out of LaConner around 10 presume you'll be in that area by 10:30? Talk on VHF Ch. 69?
                    Jerry
                    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

I answered your notification and will meet you around "Hat Island) we can wait for the group. I will be on Channel 69 and cell is 360-220-5448

See you then
                      Rick & Sarah

1959 Larson "Falls Flyer"

Comment

Hey Rick will be good to see you again! Still thinking of those shrimps on the Barbecue-Yum Yum Yum!
                        John & Diane Kelly

Comment

What about Twin Bridges or Washington Park?

We would be happy to meet anyone at about 11:00 at Washington Park (just West of the ferry terminal in Annacortes). For anyone who is not able to make the earlier launch in La Conner this might be a good option? It's definitely cheaper than the sling.

We will cruise North from the launch and meet Rick and Sarah, and intercept the rest of the fleet as you all round the NW corner of the island in the option 3 plan.

Cruising speed for us is about 20-22 mph in good water (if there are any slower boats that are worried about keeping up). Plus our two boats are pretty good at knocking down the big chop if it gets nasty. The other advantage to this is you can fill up your tanks in La Conner when we pass through (about the halfway point).

BYOBB lunch at Bowman Bay sounds good. Even if the float is packed the beach is nice and the tide will be rising, so bring an anchor and a long bow line (just in case), and some folding beach chairs.

I've made this run before in my Skagit in a leisurely 4 hours, but we are planning for an ETA back to Washington Park at around 5-6:00 pm when the tides should be very favorable.

We will be monitoring channel 69 on the VHF radio. Cell phone 253-370-4566

Doug Griffith
                          Attached Files

Comment

Has there been any thought to using the ramp at the northend of Swinomish channel. I think it's called the double bridges ramp. Any time I launch at LaConner that's where I launch. It's a good ramp with lots of parking. I'm not sure how it would be at low tide. I'm not sure that I will be able to make this meet but I think this is where I'll launch. I might have a chance to do log boom patrol at the hydro races this week end.
                            Greg James

Comment

Twin Bridges...

Greg -

That's Twin Bridges marina/boat storage/launch ramp and I'm betting it's fine at low tides. Would be cheaper than the slings in LaConner.

- Marty

Comment

Working...
                              X