Newbie lookin for advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie lookin for advice

Well first off I'll say that this is going to be my first boat. I've been around them in the past with family but this will be the first of my own. I picked up a 1969 hydroswift 15' tri-hull runabout open bow about a month ago for free on craigslist with the title for it and the 1969 trailer that it sits on. My first of probably what will end up being many questions is;

Does anyone know where I can find out how big a motor this boat is rated for? I have tried doing research on hydroswift. Only to find that the company changed hands several times, is no longer produced (was last owned by titus boats) and NADA has no info on them prior to 1989.

The main reason I ask about the engine size (besides the obvious) is that I was able to get my hands on a 1962 mercury E700L 70hp outboard for quite inexpensive. I will be taking it down to hilton outboards here in Tacoma to have it gone through and find out what all It needs to make it seaworthy again.

Any advice someone could give would be great, I will be posting an introductory thread shortly in the repsective forum.

Thanks,
    Tom

Can a boat be over powered? (see picture)

- Bill
    Attached Files

Comment

lol! well I was mainly concerned about the weight of the motor being too much for the transom.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by 59dorsett, post: 5106
        Can a boat be over powered? (see picture)

- Bill
        This must be our government at work
        Helmar Joe Johanesen
        1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
        1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
        Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
        2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
        http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Originally posted by Workaholic, post: 5104
          Well first off I'll say that this is going to be my first boat. I've been around them in the past with family but this will be the first of my own. I picked up a 1969 hydroswift 15' tri-hull runabout open bow about a month ago for free on craigslist with the title for it and the 1969 trailer that it sits on. My first of probably what will end up being many questions is;

Does anyone know where I can find out how big a motor this boat is rated for? I have tried doing research on hydroswift. Only to find that the company changed hands several times, is no longer produced (was last owned by titus boats) and NADA has no info on them prior to 1989.

The main reason I ask about the engine size (besides the obvious) is that I was able to get my hands on a 1962 mercury E700L 70hp outboard for quite inexpensive. I will be taking it down to hilton outboards here in Tacoma to have it gone through and find out what all It needs to make it seaworthy again.

Any advice someone could give would be great, I will be posting an introductory thread shortly in the repsective forum.

Thanks,
          Tom
          Hi Tom
          I myself have given up on older outboards. (Mercs, Evinrude, Johnsons)
          The only one I will use now is one I myself can work on, which is a 55hp 1961 Bearcat 4 cycle engine.
          Attached Files
          Helmar Joe Johanesen
          1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
          1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
          Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
          2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
          http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

well i'm up for working on just about anything as long as I dont have to spend a fortune on tools in order to work on it. I currently am in line to have to motor gone through by hilton outboard here in Tacoma. schedule is currently looking a few weeks out. Hopefully the motor wont need a whole lot and I can get right to work. In the meantime I have plenty other things to tackle with the boat, cleaning it. guages, new carpet, some woodwork etc.

anyone know of any good online sources online to get parts and such?

Tom

Comment

anyone know where I could find out if the transom will hold the weight of this merc?

Thanks,
              Tom

Comment

I use J&G Marine in Fife for all my supplies and hardware. Byron and Dave there have been able to find just about every little part and piece I have ever needed. They are located back behing the Poodle Dog on Marine View Drive.
                BRIAN FRANCHINI
                LAKE TAPPS, WA.

Comment

Working...
                X