Wiring the helm gauges

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring the helm gauges

I am wiring the guages for the helm and diagrams show no fuses. Just strait from the Purple wire out on the shifter to all the guages Is this right or should I fuse it. If so what size?

Fuses be good!

Fuses are a good thing. Way cheaper to replace than the components they protect.

A little time spent in research on the net will yield a lot of info about determining proper fuse size for varying loads, as well as common wiring diagrams for gauges, lights, etc.

Comment

Wiring

Realize the purple is meant to power up the fuel gauge ,Tach and gauges needing a positive circut.Boat wiring should stay away from Engine wiring and even the steering cable.
      Run a seperate ground to feed the dash,with a Red wire fused atthe battery to match your total load of all circuts ,plus just a little,15,20,or 30 amp if you have a row of items to feed and Acc/Cig lighter receptacle.
      Fuse panels or individual fuse holders can work but need a hole eack time in dash to mt securely.
      Tinned wire by Ancor seems to last the best,bare copper will turn green is salt air quickly,and always is black inside the sheath after a few years use.
      I fog my dash panels and exposed wiring with Fluid-Film to keep it like new for many years.Fisheries Supply has it when in stock or buy Tri-Flow at the local hardware/Bike Shop.
      Goodluck.
      TimM
      unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
      15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
      SeaRay 175BR
      Hi-Laker lapline
      14` Trailorboat

Comment

Originally posted by Tim_Mattson, post: 5167
        Realize the purple is meant to power up the fuel gauge ,Tach and gauges needing a positive circut.Boat wiring should stay away from Engine wiring and even the steering cable.
        Run a seperate ground to feed the dash,with a Red wire fused atthe battery to match your total load of all circuts ,plus just a little,15,20,or 30 amp if you have a row of items to feed and Acc/Cig lighter receptacle.
        Fuse panels or individual fuse holders can work but need a hole eack time in dash to mt securely.
        Tinned wire by Ancor seems to last the best,bare copper will turn green is salt air quickly,and always is black inside the sheath after a few years use.
        I fog my dash panels and exposed wiring with Fluid-Film to keep it like new for many years.Fisheries Supply has it when in stock or buy Tri-Flow at the local hardware/Bike Shop.
        Goodluck.
        TimM
        Why does the boat wiring need to be kept away from the steering cables?

Tom

Comment

Working...
        X