Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi there. We just bought a 1959 Hiway and we are totally in love with this grand lady of the water. Unfortunately we don't know a single thing about the boat. The title says it is a 1959 Hiway prod. and it looks very much like a dorsett. I have not been able to locate any information on who produced this boat or where it was built.
    Right now there is plenty of work to do on the boat and we look forward to restoring it to it's formal glory.
    [ATTACH]3035.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]3036.vB[/ATTACH]

Hope I attached the pics correctly
    Almost forgot, my name is Billie and I live in central Oregon with my very talented husband (he can fix anything). Kids are grown and we now have this boat that both of us are excited to work on together.
    Attached Files

Welcome Aboard...

Billie -

What you have is a P-14, manufactured under different names over the years--and one of the best runabouts in its size range ever produced in the Northwest. I think of P-14's as the Mighty Mouse of runabouts, beamy, stable and with an astounding ability to handle rough water and kiss off waves that send other boats scurrying for shore.

(Not long ago, I gave a P-14 utility model to neighbors who needed a smaller boat for shrimping, crabbing and fishing. They've been so delighted with the P-14's seakeeping abilities that they sold their nice '58 Skagit Offshore in order to buy the P-14 a brand-new 20hp four-stroke outboard...planning to use nothing but the P-14 for all of their fishing/crabbing/shrimping adventures in the future.) We're not saying that the P-14 is more seaworthy than a Skagit 20--just that it's an exceptional performer in its size range.

So, you've found a great boat to restore. We'll hope to see you at some future NWCBC events...

- Marty
    http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Thanks for the info. Crabbing and fishing is what we like to do. We go to Gerabaldi several times a year crabbing and fish locally throughout the year. We have never done any restoration work before, but I guess everybody has to start somewhere, sometime. We just love this boat. It has a 65hp merc on it and I think it will work well for us.
      Thanks again for the info.

Comment

Welcome to the forum Billie. Hope you join club. Where you folks at in Central Oregon? I'll be moving down to LaPine in about two years or less. I know of a couple other classic boaters down there. Maybe we can all get together sometime in the future.

Enjoy the P14, I hear they are a great boat on the water. Have a good one.
        Steve Kiesel
        1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

Hi Steve. Thanks for the welcome. We are actually out on the high desert just 4 miles above bowman dam. 25 miles east of Bend and 25 miles south of Prineville. Lots of great places for day trip around here. Would be great to get to know you and others interested in the classic boats.

Comment

I'll be down in LaPine August 20th - 25th. Not sure if I will drag the Seafair down or not. It's going in the shop this Friday. If they don't find anymore problems I should have it back by then.

Wickiup Res. is only 15 minutes from the house. Plus numerous other lakes. I'll let you know if I bring the boat down. Maybe we can get together somewhere for a mini outing.
            Steve Kiesel

Comment

That sounds great. We are going to be at Odell Lake for the Kokanee derby on the 22nd of Aug. Will be travelling right past your area some time during that time frame.

Comment

My cell # is 425-495-6400. If you have time and want to get together, give me a call. Can't guarantee I'll be in cell tower range. If we don't meet up this time, we will be down again next spring.

Good luck at the Kokanee derby. They are fun to fish for. Back in the early seventies we caught a boat load of Kokanee at Haystack Res. north of Redmond. What a blast.
                Steve Kiesel

Comment

Working...
                X