Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windshields, What Auto Glass's were used?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windshields, What Auto Glass's were used?

Most of our old Classic boats have "Glass" windows at least in the Helm.
    I have heard different assumptions of what Car or Truck window might fit.

Looking for any and all information about what Glass automobile or truck windows might fit.
    Any ideas?, what have you heard?
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

I have a post over on FG asking Bilnan1 the same question. He picked up a Wacanda runabout that has a 1955 Ford windshield. It looks like it has a fabricated frame around the glass.
    BRIAN FRANCHINI
    LAKE TAPPS, WA.

Comment

Joe, I also heard that the windshield for the BellBoy 404 sedan was from a 55 Ford. It is authentic auto glass, thick and solid.

Bob

Comment

The windshield for my '56 Glasspar Del Mar is the rear window from a '55 Studebaker Champion, from what my research has turned up. I read that the mold for the front of the cabin was taken from an employee's car in the parking lot. You can totally picture that portion of the boat being a cut from the car, once you look at it that way.

Comment

404 Sedan windshield

Originally posted by BellBoyBob, post: 471
          Joe, I also heard that the windshield for the BellBoy 404 sedan was from a 55 Ford. It is authentic auto glass, thick and solid.

Bob
          Bob
          I don't think the windshield in the sedan comes from a 55 Ford. The only possibility would have been the Thunderbird as the shape of the BB windshield shows the sides or A pillar areas angle towards the front at the top. I also don't see any safety glass markings on it so while it could be a front windshield from something I think it is more likely a rear window. Mine also has a light green tint to it like I had in a 53 Chrysler. Barry

Comment

Window donors

Hey Joe and all,
            When I showed my Thunderhawk to the painter at Wooldridge Boats,he looked to my former Boss and said "Buick"......he says it looked like the rear window of the Buicks and also said they even used the same round Red taillight cover,though the chrome was not from the car.
            With cars produced in 100`s of thousands,it only made sense to have some spare parts at some point.
            Those glass windows sure trap the Blu and red colors on classics and seem to glow in certain lighting.
            Also found my Glasspar Citation window fit the Larson T-hawk window lip exactly,though that hull had a Taylor Plexi type screwed down to the foredeck almost 6`` in front of the lip.Used the boat to store the glass while painting the baby Blu topside.Almost kept it there but held off as the hull went away before I could upgrade it.
            Now to finish my Seafair windows.......still got the "Wonder Woman" see-through glass going.They look really clean in pictures,but sure is windy on some days!
            TimM
            Attached Files
            unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
            15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
            SeaRay 175BR
            Hi-Laker lapline
            14` Trailorboat

Comment

Bell Boy 404 Sedan windshield

I found a PPG number on my windshield. I emailed PPG to try and identify it. They weren't able to help me but referred me to someone else they thought might know. He was able to tell me the number was for a custom made part they no longer have records available to reproduce. Barry

Comment

Has anyone ever tried contacting some of the old glass suppliers listed in Hemmings Motor News? That's considered the old car bible for anyone restoring their heap.

Below are some snaps of a boat that many of you have probably seen along I5 north of Portland (there's a whole bunch of old cars on the east side of the road). This boat clearly has a windshield from the back of a Studebaker.

Not sure if it's still there but I have more pix and the phone number if anyone's interested.
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                X