Hello

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello

My name is Ben and I just purchased a 16' 1963 Uniflite Runabout. Pics are attached. I have found pictures of early 60's Runabouts, but on mine the back of the front seat is part of the top fiberglass section. Can been seen in pictures. Haven't seen one like it on the internet after a fairly extensive search. The title says it's a 63, but I found a Coast Guard Inspection card in the boat with the boat's hull number on it but it says its a 1958. If anyone knows about this make and model I would like to hear from you.

I think I'm going to join the NCBC. I was excited to find your site. I'll be restoring my boat and it will be nice to have a group to share with. The events sound and look fun. I can't wait attend a function and meet some folks with the same interests.

Photo1
    Photo2
    Photo3
    Photo4

Welcome Ben! I think you'll find the people in NWBC helpful although I can't help you on the Uniflite other than saying it looks like it will be a fun project. Certainly Uniflite made a great boat and yours should go like stink with that Bearcat. Check out the events. Always something fun planned.
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

HI Ben, welcome to the board. Your boat looks like it should clean up pretty nice. You've come to the right place with that Homelite!

Tim

Comment

Bearcats Rule

Wellcome Ben There are lots of people that can tell you about your Uniflite ,sorry I don't have an answer since I live in the town they were made in but you made a hit showing that "Bearcat" We have Mr. Bearcat in our club Bill Roberts and lots of members that run them on their boats. Alot of lakes have a 2 cycle ban and the Bearcats let you stay vintage and still go boating. Good luck with your project and hope to see you at an event someday.
        Attached Files
        Rick & Sarah

1959 Larson "Falls Flyer"

Comment

Welcome Ben.

Good choice on the boat and power for it.
          Not many of those have been restored so that will be really sweet.
          Attached Files
          Helmar Joe Johanesen
          1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
          1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
          Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
          2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
          http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

a 14' '56 Uni runabout...

Hi Ben...

Here's a few pics of my unrestored '56 Uniflite runabout...looks pretty similar except for the built in seats mine has...

I think it's up to #3 on the waiting list now so I may even get started on it this year...be interested in seeing what you do with yours...

and do take advantage of fellow club member Mr Bill's, the Bearcat guru, vast knowledge of everything bearcat/homelite...he's a wealth of info, nice guy and very willing to share/teach...like most of the members you'll meet here.

have fun...and welcome

...Ric
            Attached Files
            '59 19' Glasspar Club Mariner (for sale)
            '63 17' OMC Deluxe (My current lust boat)
            '65 16' Evinrude Sweet 16 (for sale)

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome!

It appears this is the place to be. I've been cleaning up the Bearcat this week and I'm hoping to start it this weekend. Also, the windscreen needs to be replaced. Can anyone tell me of a plastics place that can use my windscreen as a template to make a new one?

Ric - That's the best example I've seen of a similar model. The Coast Guard Cert. is dated 1958 with the boat year as '58 and the hull numbers match. I'm starting to think it really is a '58 and somewhere back down the paper trail it was mis-identified as a '63. A little more history: the boat was last registered in Washington in 1985. It was registered in Oregon by the previous owner 1995, but he never put the hull numbers on or used it. Still WA numbers on it or what was left of them.

Thanks again, Ben

Comment

Hey Ben...

If you look through the old restoration posts there's a few pretty comprehensive threads on making/bending your own windshield...not all that difficult and gave me the push to make my own for a Glasspar...

I think it was BellBoyBob who had one I downloaded and McSkagit Tim too...

If you don't want to attempt it go to the "Resources" link off the home page and look for "Middy Plastics"...

good luck...Ric
                '59 19' Glasspar Club Mariner (for sale)
                '63 17' OMC Deluxe (My current lust boat)
                '65 16' Evinrude Sweet 16 (for sale)

Comment

Welcome...

Ben -

Very nice Uniflite--welcome to NWCBC!

Just fyi, Uniflite also produced your same, basic 16-footer as an inboard runabout, using (as I recall) a Ford Interceptor V-8 with the twin downdraft "flamethrower" carbs. I had one of those engines in a Skagit 20' Tyee hardtop and demonstrated that it's really handy to have a fire extinguisher handy when you literally light the engine up. Very exciting! (The problem can be cured, but the lower-elevation carb tended to load up with unburned fuel, sometimes igniting in flames when you hit the starter...hence the nickname.)

Your Bearcat will do no such thing, fortunately.

- Marty
                  http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Ric, Don't i have 2 fenders that you paid for ? Chuck
                    1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
                    1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Uniflites

I have a 1958 Sea & Pacific Motor December Issue that on pages 10-11 show the 17 inboard runabout and 17 outboard runabout. The 17 looks very much like yours including the bow light. (Ad also has a 24 inboard express cruiser and 19 outboard express cruiser.) I could mail you a copy of the pages if you send me your address. Bruce at Willapabay@msn.com
                      Bruce H. Drake
                      1956 Bell Boy Express 21'
                      1957 Norseman 19' woodie
                      1961 Glasspar Seafair Phaeton 17'
                      1957 Lyman Runabout 13' woodie

Comment

Originally posted by Ben from Vernonia, post: 5476
                        It appears this is the place to be. I've been cleaning up the Bearcat this week and I'm hoping to start it this weekend. Also, the windscreen needs to be replaced. Can anyone tell me of a plastics place that can use my windscreen as a template to make a new one?

Ric - That's the best example I've seen of a similar model. The Coast Guard Cert. is dated 1958 with the boat year as '58 and the hull numbers match. I'm starting to think it really is a '58 and somewhere back down the paper trail it was mis-identified as a '63. A little more history: the boat was last registered in Washington in 1985. It was registered in Oregon by the previous owner 1995, but he never put the hull numbers on or used it. Still WA numbers on it or what was left of them.

Thanks again, Ben
                        Middy Plastics in Redmond Wa. east of Seattle can probably do it. 425-883-4600

When the state of Washington took over the registering of boats from the Coast Guard in the early 80's some boats suddenly changed birthdays depending on how diligent the individual title cleark was. The strange thing is I've never seen a case where the boat got older.

Comment

Working...
                        X