Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

does anyone know anything about a 87 force 85 hp?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does anyone know anything about a 87 force 85 hp?

hey all once again i got another outboard this one ran a year ago but hasn't run since.very clean motor looks almost new. it's a 87 force 85 hp.has plenty of spark and compression is good it just doesn't wanna start will turn over basically till the battery gets low.any ideas on how to get it going?will ether in the carbs hurt it or is there a better way?
    ron
    Attached Files

unknown year 10ft hydro
    1984 bayliner capri 1975 merc 115

Those are a pretty simple design, same as the old Chryslers. Not a bad motor, just not a great one. Some good, some bad. If you have spark, it's usually a fuel proble. Pump, air leak, filter... DO NOT USE ETHER! If you want to see if it will kick, use fogging oil. Ether can break rings, score cylinders and destroy your engine. I've had a couple of them.
    ChuckB
    "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." K. Grahame "The Wind in the Willows"

Comment

chuckb thanks for the info.never heard of fogging oil where woul i find it? and is it used the same way as ether? i just pulled my plugs but they don't look like reagular plugs flat end with the little tip coming out the middle?
      thanks again,
      ron

unknown year 10ft hydro

Comment

Ron;
        Your plugs are the gapless type, can be really good on 2 strokes. Fogging oil is what you spray into the carbs when winterizing. Marine supply stores have it. ChuckB
        "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." K. Grahame "The Wind in the Willows"

Comment

ok cool i will try that noe the plate infront of the carbs does it need to be on or can it be off? woth those style plugs wut is the easiest way to check the spark?i am going to double and triple check myself lol.
          thanks again,
          ron

unknown year 10ft hydro

Comment

Force Starting Basics

Ron,
            The Force motors need a fully closed choke to draw fuel at start-up.Using the keyswitch to activate it before turning fully for the starter will get the choke a full 12 volts......the starter can rob voltage if it is activated first.
            The fogging oil will make it run even with NO carbs there.
            Check that all chokes butterflies are closing fully when activated.The choke has a collar that loosens and allows it to be slid until the desired throw is achieved.
            Pulling the plugs and putting them back in the wire end and just laying them against the motor or frame should get you some action,even just a screwdriver into the boot and held 1/2`` or so away from the plug will reveal whether it is sparking.
            With plugs out ,the motor will turn faster.....the high compression of these is what kills the battery.....all has to be pretty right for them to start good.
            A timing light can also reveal spark or other weirdness,check each wire and hope they are all equal.
            Timing will be the last thing to check but is important.
            Keep at it......
            Tim M
            unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
            15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
            SeaRay 175BR
            Hi-Laker lapline
            14` Trailorboat

Comment

My Chrysler had what appeared to be spark but it wasn't enough. The coil was bad, it would spark but just barely. Tim is correct in checking those plugs to see just how much spark is there. Tim is correct all the time when it comes to motors so keep tapping his brain.

Greg Jr.

Comment

ok cool i haven't had much time lately but hope to get to it tommorrow. thanks for the tips and i'll deffinetly keep tim in mind.

unknown year 10ft hydro

Comment

Working...
                X