"Corian" transom repair?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Corian" transom repair?

Ok all you old pros ...Transom repair?... I have a great source of used "Corian" counter top material (nearly free). I need to rebuild my Dorsett's transom.
    So how bout using this countertop materal as the outside paneling?
    Will glass stick to it?
    Could I use it to sandwich the transom using the " Sea Cast" system for repairs? just wondering if it would be useable as opposed to stright plywood?
    Its got good thick plywood on one side and water proof "Corian" on the other.
    Attached Files

I work with alot of material since I work in the construction field. Corian is a plastic composed material and it would be in contact with the elements and plastic tends to shrink and expand with the elements...so consider these elements before you make up your mind.

George

Comment

Delvel,
      I have a fair amount of experience fabricating Corian and other similar countertop materials, and I don't think this would be a good application for the material. It would be fine in the interior, although pretty heavy, but I would really hesitate to use it in any structural application. As far as glassing it in, it is a resin-based material but the process for seaming / "gluing" it involves clamping and pressure, I don't think standard glassing methods would yield a good bond. Also, it doesn't flex well and will crack and break if asked to do anything but just lay there flat. The stresses a transom goes through I think are well beyond the capabilities of the material.

Tim

Comment

Transom Repair

Delvel -

As others have said, you shouldn't consider using the countertop material, and I'd forget about Sea Cast as a miracle transom fix.

Snake oil.

- Marty
        http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

I know corial like I know wood. Just take a 12" x 12" piece and drop it on the cement flat and watch it explode. DONT USE IT for a transom. Use exterior ply and seal it up real nice as you build it up. Now maby if you had some lexan bullet proof panels but thats a whole new story, Mike
          >>>Mike<<<

Comment

Thanks Guys!

Ok.
            results are in...
            It's a big NO to "Corian".

Seacast is a big ??

Plywood /glass takes it!

Can't beat the ol' tried and true

Thanks again'
            Delvel

Comment

After looking at your pics It looks like you need a transom. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4EQL6yIKbQ Maby thisll help also heres more detail, Mike http://www.goldenstateglassics.com/showthread.php?t=311 Just register real quick and you should beable to see all 300 pics that are attached....
              >>>Mike<<<

Comment

Working...
              X