Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helm... help!

Hi all:

Just trying to get this boat in h2o befor summer ends.
    How do I install the helm(see attachments).

The wheel is mounted to a long cylinder which houses the gear that attaches to steering rod. Seems like either I'm missing mounting brackets or I can just fabricate it some way.

Question is does cylinder mount verticalor horiziontal or any way so as not to bind ?

Photos would be helpful as the wheel works in almost any position

Thanks

Delvel
    Attached Files

I would abandon that setup and put a new teleflex steering system in for about $120.00. That way you can do it however you want. It appears somebody long before you took it apart and did it their way. I could be wrong as I have never seen a setup like that before.

Greg Jr.

Comment

Helm Help

Looks to me like a basic Quicksilver rack.
      The wheel is held on by a long bolt, if so,and once the wheel is removed,you mount the Black part first which is called the Bezel.You might use a scrap pc of plywwod to mock it up once before hacking the real dash.They usually use a 3`` hole and should have a trio of bolts that keeps things from twisting when you turn the wheel.Some use a u-shaped plate as a backing.
      If bolts or any of it is amiss,then do as Greg said and get the whole she-bang,with bezel kit to suit the dash....either angled or a straight type.

If trying to save the old deal,shoot some spray lube on threads before wrenching so they come apart.The rack can be de-greased and lubed up with white Lithium to keep if moving easy for awhile.
      The rack systems do offer a good mechanical advantage over the rotary type helms and make steering feel easier when it is working as it should.
      If you go to a rotary ,look at No-Feedback (NFB)as it can be let go of while underway and doesn`t spin free like a basic cheapo version.
      Also realize ,older wheels may have a straight taper instead of the standard 3/4`` taper all new ones will use.Adds $30.00 to the price for the cheapest ones in plastic ,while a SS wheel will run a bunch more if it can`t be re-used.
      Hope this helps.....
      TimM
      unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
      15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
      SeaRay 175BR
      Hi-Laker lapline
      14` Trailorboat

Comment

Working...
      X