Wright Sportsman

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wright Sportsman

Thought I might post a few shots of my latest project. 1964 Wright Sportsman, built in Bellingham Wa. My Inspector said it's time! I got it loaded on my utility trailer and in the shop. Keep in mind I'm working alone so I built a gantry and use an engine hoist to manover the boat around. I also built a cart to roll around in the shop as this boat came without a proper trailer.
    After removing the rub rail and some assorted hardware I started to lift the upper deck, with the moulded in seats it wanted to fold up in the middle, so I built a frame work out of 2x2 and 1x2'' to support the deck. Worked out pretty good. One experiment after the other!
    The transom and floor were degraded enough that removing them was easy. More later. - Ross
    Attached Files
    Ross Henson

Looks like a full restoration Ross. Your going to have plenty to keep you busy for awhile. Hadn't heard of the Wright Sportsman before. Good looking boat though. Are the stringers Fiberglass? If so, that will save a little time.

Have a good one Ross.
    Steve Kiesel
    1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

Steve, I havnt seen another Sportsman, or found any info about them. Seems like Marty said he had one at one time. Yes the stringers are heavy fiberglass. and lots of them.
      After I got the transom and floor out I thought about leaving the upper deck suspended above the hull, but after crashing into it a half a dozen times I needed to move the deck out of the way.
      I was able to lift the deck up high enough to roll the hull out side, then lowered the deck on the trailer. The deck isnt really heavy but kind of exciting with no help. Sort of reminded me of my days as a Jippo logger. - Use whatever is handy and a good cussing is o.k.
      With the hull back in the shop maybe it will dry out some. - Ross
      Attached Files
      Ross Henson

Comment

Well, there sure won't be any flex on the bottom of that hull. Looks like a tough little boat. Have fun with it.
        Steve Kiesel

Comment

Sportsman work

After returning to the shop water was collecting along the keel under the stringers. I discovered the stringers were packed with mud, plastic wrappers, tin foil,all sorts of stuff collected during years of service. After removing the transom wood, the stringers were open all the way through, I was able to hook a lot of the junk with a wire and blew the rest out with compressed air. What a mess! But she is dry now. I hope to start epoxying the transom in today. More fun putting back together than cleaning mud. - Ross
          Ross Henson

Comment

Sportsman update

The Sportsman is starting to look a bit more presentable. Got the stringers cleaned up and the bow rebuilt. Had a bit of a challange mating the stringers and the ... can't rember the name of the air chamber in the bow, together. Epoxy and a couple days of fab work.
            The transom went fast, the old one was so far gone I was able to use some of the origanal glass lay-ups back on the inside.
            The splaswell was intact for the most part and I was able to epoxy all the parts I cut out to remove it. Looks like it should go back on right before the upper deck goes on.
            Got the ply for the deck screwed and glued in today, hope to run some roving around the edge and tie in to the transom tommorrow. What fun! - Ross
            Attached Files
            Ross Henson

Comment

Sportsman

Ross
              Put a layer of matt on first and roll/squeege the roving onto it before it sets. You will get a much better bond. The strength in fiberglass is in the material not the resin. Due to its texture, roving by itself creates little pockets of pure resin. Putting a layer of matt down first helps to fill these little pockets with fiberglass strands making it stronger and creating a better bond. Barry

Comment

Your Wright Sportsman...

Ross -

The project is looking great, Ross...

Yes, you probably have the only Wright Sportsman in the club, which is a bit surprising because I think they built a fair number of boats. I've seen them before (there was one for sale last year in our local area), but I haven't owned one before.

I've often wondered how much cross-pollination there might have been between the three fiberglass-runabout makers during the period--Bell Boy, Uniflite and Wright Sportsman. When Art Nordvedt started Uniflite, he clearly took a number of Bell Boy employees "over the fence" to Uniflite, but I've never heard where Wright Sportsman boats were built--in the same neighborhood as the others, or maybe quite a different part of Bellingham.

If you come up with ANY kind of history, we'll happily publish it on the website.

- Marty
                http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Looking Real good Ross !!
                  Man, your going to So like this when your finish.
                  Helmar Joe Johanesen
                  1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                  1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                  Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                  2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                  http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Thanks Barry I'll do that. I always make sure to have a fillet on a joint like that so the mat or roving will lay . I would like to find some info on Wright Boats. The tag on the dash says 915 Harris Ave Bellingham, but I'm not familiar with b/ham. I think the guy at the museum said the had some lit on them when we met Mr. Nordvolt, I know that is mispelled but I mean the Bellboy guy. I also saw one listed on C list but no pics or vintage._ Ross
                    Ross Henson

Comment

Sportsman Work

Been working some on project, got the transom finished on sides and bottom. I left the center section open because the splashwell gets epoxied there.
                      Also got roving then cloth on floor. Had a suprise inspection from my Grandson. He doesn't know it yet but I see a hydro in his future!
                      After spending some time turning, got the hull sanded and faired, then three coats or primer. Man this is fun. Took lots of pics here are some. - Ross
                      Attached Files
                      Ross Henson

Comment

Maybe a few more,oops I lost the primered ones. Next time.
                        Attached Files
                        Ross Henson

Comment

Looking good Ross. Now I know how you get so much done so fast, you've got a helper.
                          Steve Kiesel

Comment

Was every early fiberglass boat blue and white? LOL Both my Bell Boys and Dorsett were/are...timw's Bell Boy is too. Methinks I detect a trend!

Comment

Working...
                            X