Hydraulic cement??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hydraulic cement??

I've dried patch area as best I can , yesterday I used "Denatured Alcohol" injected into the wood to speed up dry time.

Numerous articals on fiberglass repair mention a product called " Water Stop", Water Plug" Water Cement". They claim that if you can't be certain that your overlay target piece is perfactly dry, prep it first with one of these barrier cements before glass over.

Question? will the glass mat, resin, plywood sandwich bond to the Hydraulic cement?

What does the voice of experience say??

Thanks
    delvel1

Water activated Epoxy

I`m thinking a wet pc of wood would be better to let the moisture work for you instead trying to defy it.
    The transom in my dorsett was wet from the bottom which wicked moisture virtually to the top.
    The Gorilla glue and some others seem to be the perfect answer but some do expand as water hits it so use with caution and hope another has a golden answer.
    The outside looks to be in need of serious dose of Woven roving and then cloth to re-establish a shell with skin.
    I`ve also seen many boats without wood to the corners and upper portions so I wouldn`t re-make the new one totally as it was.
    Look at a 70`s Glastron or even a Glasspar Seafair/Mariner or other hull where the transom pc has no contact with the sides or upper corners due to the roundness or the stepped hull shape.The corners of these are glassed over and into the hull.
    These boats seem to always have great wood though there always exceptions.......The corners are where water sits and with loose screw holes from rubrail caps,corner chrome and trim pcs.it just seem to funnel the water into your main foundation--The transom.
    I`d expect the last foot of the stringers to be peanut butter too......with 6 of them,this job can really grow.Each one is a different shape!
    Keep it simple for now but realize what lies beneath.
    If the wood llooks black at all,squirt some warm Bleachwater into it and let it kill the mold.Warm water actually dries out pretty quick.
    Once the bugs ,bacteria and critters eat all the sugar from the wood,it no longer has any strength.
    Tim M
    unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
    15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
    SeaRay 175BR
    Hi-Laker lapline
    14` Trailorboat

Comment

Working...
    X