Next Saturday: Mason Lake

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next Saturday: Mason Lake

The weather forecast for Mason Lake next Saturday suggests temps of 71 with "sunshine and patchy clouds," but no chance of rain all week or into the following week, so we should have a great time at the (sometimes) aptly-named Sunny Slope Beach Club Park, the private park we get to use exclusively for the NWCBC event.

Mason Lake is southwest of Bremerton, and 11 miles (21 minutes according to Google Maps) from the town of Allyn. If you can get yourself to Allyn by various routes, just head south from there on Highway 3 for 6.7 miles, turn right on East Mason-Benson Road, then go about 4.4 miles up and over the hill and down to the shore of Mason Lake. (When you get to the intersection where you'll see the volunteer fire station, go straight ahead through the four-way stop; not much farther down the hill you'll come to another stop sign: the entrance to Sunny Slope Park is virtually straight ahead across the intersection.)

Let's meet at Mason Lake between 10-10:30 a.m. (No problem if you can't make it that early--we'll be there all day.) Trailer parking is available for one and all, and the park has two docks, a soft beach for landing boats, lots of grass and evergreens, picnic tables, a covered shelter area and clean restrooms.

Most years folks have just brought their own sack lunches, but if members would like we could have a potluck this year, maybe snacking our way into the mid-afternoon and gathering en-masse around 2 p.m. for the potluck...(?) (Any thoughts?)

Maybe because it's the last official on-the-water event of the year; or maybe because there are a number of classic-boat owners in the Mason Lake area, we always seem to have a nice turnout at this event...and a great mix of classic-glass and vintage wooden boats. This year we're making a special effort to invite members of ACBS to bring their mahogany runabouts, so with the good weather forecast we hope you'll be able to make Mason Lake--for the first time or the 6th time!

- Marty
    Attached Files
    http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Marty, Would not miss this for anything ! This is one of the nicest places we go. I say lets do the Potluck for a change.Will be bring my new girl friend this time. She is a "California Girl " that lived down by Stockton before i met her. Is she a true-classic with that mahogany or whatever it is on the dash ? lol Got a few new socks too ! Best,Chuck
    Attached Files
    1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
    1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

More Mason Lake '08 Photos

Here are some additional shots of last year's Mason Lake gathering, for those who haven't been there before...

http://www.classicboatclub.com/galle...Lake_2008.html

- Marty

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Count us in!

Jody and I plan to bring the "Queen of the Cove" to Mason Lake. We won't be able to get there until noonish.

Karl
        17' Johnson Runabout (1964) Completed
        18' GlassCraft Imperial (1959) Done!
        19' Campion Bowrider (1999) Great family ski/tow boat
        25' Skagit (1960) Two of them. What am I thinking?
        14' Axtell Aquacraft (1950ish)
        14' Stilleto

Comment

Queen of the Cove...

Karl -

I can't remember--is Queen of the Cove your 17' Johnson boat? If so, I'm eager to get a ride in the boat to see how in handles. (Have always been intrigued by the Johnson/Evinrude trihulls of the period.)

- Marty

Comment

Marty,

Yes, the Queen is the 17' Johnson. And yes, you are more than welcome to come aboard!

Karl
            17' Johnson Runabout (1964) Completed
            18' GlassCraft Imperial (1959) Done!
            19' Campion Bowrider (1999) Great family ski/tow boat
            25' Skagit (1960) Two of them. What am I thinking?
            14' Axtell Aquacraft (1950ish)
            14' Stilleto

Comment

Marty, Diane and I will be there. The potluck sounds good to us. Will try for the suggested time. This is definitely one of the best events, and the weather even looks promising! See you there.
              Kent & Diane
              '58 Westerner

Comment

Here's a map that i save each year that shows the route from Tacoma across the Narrows bridge ( Toll Fee Eastbound ) to Purdy and on to Allyn....... As Marty said, " If you can get yourself to Allyn by various routes, just head south from there on Highway 3 for 6.7 miles, turn right on East Mason-Benson Road, then go about 4.4 miles up and over the hill and down to the shore of Mason Lake. (When you get to the intersection where you'll see the volunteer fire station, go straight ahead through the four-way stop; not much farther down the hill you'll come to another stop sign: the entrance to Sunny Slope Park is virtually straight ahead across the intersection.) " Chuck
                Attached Files

Comment

Count me in!

I'm planning on coming with my refurbished '56 Skagit Tyee "Celeste". Doug (of Doug's Boattops fame) may also be joining us as well with his fun pocket rocket speedster. I'm looking forward to this. Life events have kept me away this summer...-Ken

Comment

Cindy and I will be there also, looking forward to finally making one event this summer. Is the potluck being organized by anyone or is it truely a pot luck?

Comment

Tim, It will be nice seeing you guys again. Chuck

Comment

Thanks Chuck, do I get a ride in the G3?

Comment

Pot, Luck

Tim -

So far, I'd say it's a true potluck...with no assignments or particular expectations. Somehow, it always works out with more food than we can possibly consume.

- Marty

Comment

Another Mason Lake Attendee...

Had a call today from good friend Tom Richards, a NWCBC member we never see on the message board, but lifelong vintage-boat addict who restores antique marine engines and has way too many boats. He and his wife Jessie will be at Mason Lake with their Glasspar Seafair Sunliner.

- Marty

Comment

Hey Tim, No problem....it will cost you. Chuck

Comment

Working...
                              X