Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Boat!

Hello All!

I recently purchased my first boat and cant find much info on it. It has a data plate on it that says it was made by Valco and the title lists it as a 1961. It has an Aqua Bird steering wheel that I think had been modified. The data plates lists the model as a RN-14. It is just under 14' so that makes sense. It has no motor but did come with an old Sears trailer with the original black Cali plate thats now a PTI plate. I have read a round a little and most people seem to stay away from the old riveted boats. I have to say I absolutely love this little thing. It will need freshening up of the driving components but it is all complete. There is a johnson electric start button on the dash as well as a speedo. If anyone has any info that they could relay I would be so grateful! I will post up more pics soon and will have questions on parts as well I am sure. You have a great community here I am looking forward to learning from!!

Caleb
    Attached Files

Welcome to the foum Caleb. I don't have any info on the Valco boats, but here is a site that has a lot of pictures of early aluminum boats that you might enjoy. Have fun with the new (old) boat.

http://www.theclassicboathouse.com/

Click on the gallery link, then aluminum boat.
    Steve Kiesel
    1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

Classic Aluminum...

Welcome to the message board, Caleb. Looks like you found a beautifully-designed classic aluminum runabout.

We'd love to see more vintage metal boats in the club, but there aren't a lot of them right now, unfortunately. (That's true throughout the old-boat hobby; classic aluminum boats are appreciated by everyone, but we just don't see a ton of 'em at meets or being restored. As with other runabouts, the tailfin aluminum models seem to attract the most attention...although there are some wonderfully slinky non-tailfin designs out there--typically involving dramatic tumblehome transoms.

Hope somebody can help with information on your boat, but don't be disappointed if there isn't a big response, since detailed info on classic aluminum boats may be scarce...at least in our particular group.

Stay in touch and post more photos...

- Marty
      http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Welcome to the site. I don't know your boat but I bought a a 15 foot Valco with a double hull that was more than 30 years old from my father-in-law and it went like stink with a 15 hp. outboard. I ran all over the San Juans with it and it never let me down. I think they build a really fine boat.
        There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Working...
        X