Another Wraparound Windshield Source?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Wraparound Windshield Source?

I know I'm probably misspelling his name, but Dan Stotsenberg brought his beautifully restored 1957 Fleetform 14-foot runabout to the Mason Lake gathering, wowing everyone with his great paint job, upholstery and perfect windshield.

I asked Dan where he went for the windshield, and he said Kel-Tech Plastics in Tacoma, recommending them highly.

While we don't know what Kel-Tech charges, or whether they need an old windshield for a pattern in order to make a new one, here's a link to their website:

http://www.keltechplastic.com/index.htm

(Dan, if you happen to read this, maybe you can fill in some of the Kel-Tech details...and tell me how to spell your last name.)

- Marty
    Attached Files
    http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Originally posted by Marty Loken (Norseboater), post: 7014
    I know I'm probably misspelling his name, but Dan Stotsenberg brought his beautifully restored 1957 Fleetform 14-foot runabout to the Mason Lake gathering, wowing everyone with his great paint job, upholstery and perfect windshield.

I asked Dan where he went for the windshield, and he said Kel-Tech Plastics in Tacoma, recommending them highly.

While we don't know what Kel-Tech charges, or whether they need an old windshield for a pattern in order to make a new one, here's a link to their website:

http://www.keltechplastic.com/index.htm

(Dan, if you happen to read this, maybe you can fill in some of the Kel-Tech details...and tell me how to spell your last name.)

- Marty
    Marty. Looks like you found the info on Keltech. Great source for any plastic needs. They have a great "Scrap" bin as well if you are looking for something small. They do need a pattern to reproduce any windshield but that is easy to make. The cost is worth the end product because you sure aren't going to find it at West Marine or boating world....Also you did spell my name correctly. Thanks for the comments on my boat. I restored the Fleetform in the winter of 1997-98. This is the eleventh season on the paint job and she still looks pretty good for a brush job....

Comment

Dan...

Dan -

You've got one of the more intriguing lists of boats, cars and trailers under your signature. Any chance you could post photos of the collection--maybe all of them? I'm sure others would appreciate seeing the whole fleet...

- Marty

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

How about putting their web site in the links

Comment

Windshield Source

Clint -

Yup...that's the plan, along with a few other updates. (Got to add details on Thom Adams, too...aka Dr. Frankenmerc, since he wasn't in the first edition of the Resource Guide.)

- Marty

Comment

I can sure ask about Website Updates but the plan was the good wife would Build it, launch it, but hand the keys over to someone (member) to care for it. (its the only way I could get her to write it up )
            Its a job that she did for a living and now hates.
            Each time I beg her to update the website, she reminds me of that.

Do we have anyone that knows Dreamweaver or Raw XHTML or even the HTML programming language ???

Maybe I should go back to the Update new area and put out a Wanted, Webmaster ??
            Helmar Joe Johanesen
            1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
            1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
            Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
            2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
            http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Originally posted by Marty Loken (Norseboater), post: 7020
              Dan -

You've got one of the more intriguing lists of boats, cars and trailers under your signature. Any chance you could post photos of the collection--maybe all of them? I'm sure others would appreciate seeing the whole fleet...

- Marty
              Marty here are some pics of my stuff that you requested. I would be happy to answer any questions. Dan
              Attached Files

Comment

What a great collection of "stuff"! I love the picture of the Fairliner. Can you give any more information about the boat? I have been researching the Western Fairliner Torpedo's for some time now. My neighbor has one that was restored in the early eighties, and not used since. It ranks at the top of my dream boat list for now. Sorry for the thread jack, now back to windshields.

Can you give an idea of the price for a new one? I spoke with Middy Plastics earlier in the year and they quoted about $400-$450. The is just the new plexi, you are on your own for restoring or fabricating the frame. Is this in line with the Tacoma shop?
                Attached Files
                BRIAN FRANCHINI
                LAKE TAPPS, WA.

Comment

Originally posted by FINS, post: 7034
                  What a great collection of "stuff"! I love the picture of the Fairliner. Can you give any more information about the boat? I have been researching the Western Fairliner Torpedo's for some time now. My neighbor has one that was restored in the early eighties, and not used since. It ranks at the top of my dream boat list for now. Sorry for the thread jack, now back to windshields.

Can you give an idea of the price for a new one? I spoke with Middy Plastics earlier in the year and they quoted about $400-$450. The is just the new plexi, you are on your own for restoring or fabricating the frame. Is this in line with the Tacoma shop?
                  I can't answer you question on the price of the windshield. Kel-Tech did mine eleven years ago and if I remember correcly the cost was around 200.00.

Western Fairliner built 23 Torpedo's from late 1946 to 1956. The boat you show in the picture looks like it may have come from Curt Erickson? My boat was built after the end of the run of Torpedo's. It was a custom ordered boat and therefore the only Barrel stern that Fairliner built. All records and jigs for Fairliner where lost in the fire they had in the mid 1960's. My boat has been in my family since the late 50's early 60's. It came with a 272 Y block and Paragon transmission. I have a 312 and a BW Velvet drive now. In the picture above taken in 1995 from L-R is Greg Suldan of Suldan boat works, John Lee owns a 1947 19' Garwood, Julie Martnacci and, myself. Jose ran the line for the Torpedo's so I wanted him to see my boat and verify that Fairliner did build it. He did so and was very excited to see it.

Comment

Thanks for the info Dan. The Torpedo is not one of Curt's, but is owned by Jay Peterson. Most of the Torpedo's have bounced around either Curt or Bruce Bronson at one point. I am not sure if this will show up real well or not, but a brief history of the Torpedo's is posted below from Curt.

Your boat is a great looking boat and the story explains why i have never seen another Fairliner like it. Please keep us informed of your progress with it!
                    Attached Files
                    BRIAN FRANCHINI
                    LAKE TAPPS, WA.

Comment

Brian, I have been friends with Bruce for the last 20 years or so. I have been to Curt's home and seen all of his collection and what a collection it is. The letter composed by Curt I have seen before and is very cool. A friend of mine Bill Ostruske grew up in Tacoma as well. When he was 17 years old his dad bought him a brand new Fairliner Torpedo. His dad was a member of the Tacoma Yaht club and Bill kept his torpedo in a boat shed there. I also have pictures of that boat.

Comment

1957 fleetform commodore 14

Great looking fleetform!!!

we have a '57 as well that we just got this past season, did some vital restore on her, re-created seats, some interrior paint. but she is all original other than the seats, with the original 57 golden javelin. i have attached a recent picture. The GC is in decent shape, and we are now toying with the idea to get her painted. We were blessed with an intact original windshield.

ken
                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                        X