Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aluminum Rub Rail Adhesive?

Joe (Helmar)

Last time we spoke you recommended a specific adhesive to use to keep aluminum rub rail from bending when rubbing against the dock. Apparently, just mounting with screws isn't enough. What was it again that you recommended?? The name slips my mind...

Thanks!
    Mark
    Silverdale, WA.
    1956 BellBoy Express 16

Why would you want your boat to be rubbing against the dock. Wouldn't fenders do the trick so you rub rail does not get damaged. You may be thinking of 5200 but if you use that stuff under your aluminum trim you are not going to be getting back off.

Comment

Well I'm for sure going to try and avoid hitting the dock and yes fenders will be used but... we all know things can (and do) happen.

I'd like to avoid bending it if possible. Once its bent its next to impossible to straighten back out. Any suggestions?
      Mark
      Silverdale, WA.
      1956 BellBoy Express 16

Comment

Yea, the old rubber rail had a few gashes in it. I'm sure one or two were a direct result of my not so great docking skills in windy weather. I think I'll use bigger fenders next season. Or maybe just wrap the boat in bubble wrap. I can bounce off things with no worries.

Thanks for the heads up on the 5200.
        Mark
        Silverdale, WA.
        1956 BellBoy Express 16

Comment

Bedding Rubrails

Mark,
          Not sure if anybody pointed out the need for slow cure which won`t bleed drips of white or black down your newly painted sides.Fast cure will leech later as water drips across it.
          I also found that Windex worked great for cleaning up excess.Takes many wipes and a rolling action with the rag so you don`t spread the goo all over the place.
          Mineral Spirits seem to work ok too,but the smell isn`t pleasant.
          I also use the Sika Flex 291-LOT (long-open-time) brand of sealant which is a Polyureathane blend.
          Layer up on the gloves while bedding it up,peel away as the muck gets on you.
          If you want to save some wiping,tape off the boat and let the bedding tack up a few hours before peeling carefully.A wipedown after pulling tape will seal it nicely.
          Ken Cook`s Skagit was done up with the Rubber rubrail stretched tight (but dry fit),then I squirted the caulk into the top edge,then into the bottom edge.The force of the goo under the rubrail actully pushed the top edge inwards and forced out the first ribbon of sealant the entire length!
          TimM
          unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
          15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
          SeaRay 175BR
          Hi-Laker lapline
          14` Trailorboat

Comment

Originally posted by Mark_Denis, post: 7018
            Joe (Helmar)

Last time we spoke you recommended a specific adhesive to use to keep aluminum rub rail from bending when rubbing against the dock. Apparently, just mounting with screws isn't enough. What was it again that you recommended?? The name slips my mind...

Thanks!
            Hi Mark.
            You can keep the rubber in the aluminum with the slow cure 5200 but bending of it of the aluminum ?
            Not much you can do about that other than protect it with the rubber, Or, pound it out once bent.

I think what I was trying to tell you was when the rub rail was to Hit the dock that you use the 5200 to keep it inside the aluminum.
            I have used it on mine about every 6 to 8 inches which seems to have worked for the last 2, maybe 3 years.
            Helmar Joe Johanesen
            1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
            1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
            Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
            2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
            http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Working...
            X