New to the Forum

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to the Forum

Hi: We have been "lurking" about your website for a while, and have enjoyed reading the forums. Finally have the nerve to write.

We have two wood runabouts. A 1956 Reinell and a custom built 18' designed by Howard Weisman, a Los Angeles boatbuilder from the 40's and 50's.

We purchased the Reinell several years ago with the thought of restoring it and towing it behind my wife's '56 Thunderbird, which she has owned since High School. It was purchased from the estate of the original owner; we have the original sales receipt. It is powered by a '57 Johnson Sea Horse 18hp outboard, which was purchased in May. 1957 (also have that receipt!) We removed the Washington registration numbers when we painted it, but it was registered as WN 2D.

Our favorite is the boat built by Howard and my Father. Howard was probably best known for many custom and competition boats in the LA area. The keel was laid Easter Sunday, 1950. Her deck is Honduras Mahogany, salvaged from a Bank of America branch that was torn down in the 1940's. The deck is accented with what we think is holly, to simulate caulking. It is powered by a 1946 Mercury flathead V8; with less than 200 hours on it since it was installed in 1951. It was built with extra freeboard so we little kids would not fall out!

We now use the Thunderbird for vintage car rallying, and it is now set up for competition. Therefore, we plan to sell the Reinell in the near future so we can use the funds to re-do my Dad's boat. Any comments, suggestions, encouragement, and advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Files

Welcome

WELCOME ABOARD
    I love your floatilla, especially the Reinell. It brings back memories of them in the fifty's. We use to drive past the factory in Marysville. Unfortunately most were lost over the years due to neglect. I hope to see them someday in person.

Don't be a stranger.

Dave

Comment

Reinell Boats

Thanks, Dave:

Reinell made a very fine boat. The club site has a great article by Marty Loken (Norseboater) about Reinell at:
      http://www.classicboatclub.com/profi...nellboats.html

Our '56 is cedar planked with a mahogany deck. I have attached a couple of additional pics. We are still trying to decide whether to sell or not. We are out of room, and she deserves better!

Pat
      Attached Files

Comment

What great boats you have! It is really nice to see some examples of locally built woodies. If you do decide to part with the Reinell, I would really be interested. It is such a great looking boat and would look amazing with some fresh varnish!
        Attached Files
        BRIAN FRANCHINI
        LAKE TAPPS, WA.

Comment

Glad You're On Board...

Pat'n'Pat -

As others have said, what great boats!

I'm about to fetch an old 1952 Ford flathead V-8-powered 16-foot double-cockpit runabout, reportedly built in California in 1952. After seeing the photo of your boat, I'm wondering if Howard Weisman might have had something to do with the design of my new 'find.' (I'll post photos in another week or so, after I get the boat home from Idaho.)

We'd love to see your boats at some future club events...and is there a way you could post more images of the Weisman boat?

- Marty
          http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Howard Weisman Boats

Hi Marty:

Sorry I did not respond sooner, we have been out of town for two days in meetings.

I know that we have family pictures of the boat. The posted picture was actually taken in '89, when I first brought the car from LA. That is my father driving (left hand drive), and my late wife in the back. It is the only picture I have; but I may be able to get some from one of my sisters.

However; I may have the set of full-size plans that were laid out on paper on the garage floor. I hope they are still around.......they are in the back of one of those "closets from hell" that it could be dangerous to open the door without adequate protective gear!

Currently the boat is in the back of a garage, buried in "stuff". It will be next summers project.

Would love to see the pictures of your soon-to-arrive boat.

Pat

Comment

Welcome PatnPat

Welcome to the fun,
              My buddy Mark Jeffries has a 50`s Reinell that is all mahogeny on the sides and has a custom hardtop on his classic.It was given away as a prize for a huge Fishing Derby and was specially made for the event.
              I hope to get him to come along on Opening Day or another event in the Seattle area as he hails from Renton.
              I`ll try to get him to send me a picture to post for all to see.
              Thanx for sharing your boats and hope to see them in the water with smiling faces.
              Tim M
              Burien
              unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
              15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
              SeaRay 175BR
              Hi-Laker lapline
              14` Trailorboat

Comment

Reinell Boats

Hi Tim:

Sounds like a very cool boat! I know that many early Reinell's were all Mahogany. By the 50's it was rare. Most hulls were cedar; but I am sure you could get them any way you wanted! Would love to see pictures!

Mary Loken did an article in Rudder a while back about two Reinells. In 1948 two Reinells; one a '37 and one a '41; went from Bellingham to Alaska........at the prompting of a 15 year-old boy (son of one of the owners). I am not sure I am up to that adventure!

Pat

Comment

woodies

Nice to see the interest in the wood boats. The Reinell is way cool..... Would be nice to have a few of these woodies together at an event. This coming from me, who made only one event last year...will do better in the future. Both Mansfields are about done... have another one on my list. Just need to get a permit from the acquisition dept. .... Steve
                  Steve Tweit

1954 Mansfield..double cockpit runabout
                  1955 Mansfield 17' express
                  1960 Rynell Jetabout
                  2007 Bxxxxxxx "daily driver"

Comment

photos

photos did not copy. will try again
                    Attached Files
                    Steve Tweit

1954 Mansfield..double cockpit runabout
                    1955 Mansfield 17' express
                    1960 Rynell Jetabout
                    2007 Bxxxxxxx "daily driver"

Comment

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions! We have decided we need to sell our '56 Reinell. Reality has raised its head, and we will probably never put her back in the water! We want to spend time working on my Dad's boat; something supported by the whole family!

We are also building a 1932 Buick Skiff Bodied vintage race car to compete in cross-country vintage rallies. The Reinell has to leave the heated garage and is relegated to a tarp cover and Costco canopy!

We have listed the Reinell in the classified section, but we really have no idea what to ask. We want it to have a good home, where she will be enjoyed. We want a fair price, but a good home is important, and we don't want to let her go for "resale". We realize, like with cars, you do the work because you have a passion.....not to make money.

She has a cedar planked hull and mahogany deck. The motor needs the carburetor cleaned and a tune up.

Any ideas/comments on value would be greatly appreciated.

Pat

Comment

Values and Reinells

Pat ,
                        Sorry you have to "off a Lamb",but to divert to another worthy Boat always makes it justified,though it does sting as they drive away.
                        As far as what to ask,that is sometimes left vague or with at least the idea of some bartering will keep some looking.
                        I like to ask a buyer what they "feel comfortable with spending" before answering ,"how low will you go?".
                        Some devious sellers have friends call or show up "to see the package", to get that feeding frenzy going.It is embarrassing when the two know each other though....oops.
                        The hull number is the earliest I`ve ever seen,the state has been re-upping the numbers and you need to at least try keeping it original.
                        Trading it may open up some potential as people purge this time of year,maybe getting a partial cash/vehicle or being creative in some way will spur some movement.
                        Alan Thomle of Snohomish has the oldest Reinell I`ve ever seen for real,a beautiful runabout he has totally restored thru his Classic boat operation.
                        Marty may be able to produce a photo or even a contact number as he may have somebody who`s offered to buy his.Or one of his customers may be asking where to find another......you never know.
                        Time to create some interest,then see who squirms first.
                        Winter boat shows are good places to park with a sweet hull and a good sign.People love to stop and look and the shows usually have some impulse buyers.Hire a guard or make a huge vat of Coffee to pour for those who stop and talk.
                        Remind them they won`t be selling today`s new boats 40 years later for the same or more $.Build it right,protect it and it holds it`s value or even rises slightly.

TimM
                        unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
                        15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
                        SeaRay 175BR
                        Hi-Laker lapline
                        14` Trailorboat

Comment

Thanks Tim.

It really is hard to part with her; it took a lot of gut wrenching. My wife's father used to say (he was a car collector as are we): "I don't sell my cars and I don't sell my children....but sometimes I think about selling my children." We recently sold a Model A Ford Phaeton in fantastic condition. It was awful to see her go. Sad fact, she just was not being used, and we also have a 1918 Cadillac Touring car. One of the two ragtops had to go for space! "Just Sitting There" is not a good thing for a collector vehicle, car, boat, or whatever!

Thanks for the advice.

Pat

Comment

Pat...

Pat -

I'll give you a buzz tomorrow and maybe we can connect later this week.

Best,

Marty
                            http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Marty:

What a perfect arrangement! Now we can plan on getting the Weisman ready next year!

Pat

Comment

Working...
                              X