almost new member

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• almost new member

Hello, I joined the forum about one month ago, and have made a few minor replies to various posts. I had the pleasure of attending the restoration workshop, held at Marty Loken's Island Boatshop last saturday. I gained new information and got to meet several members of the club. I paid my membership dues for the remainder of the year as well. I have been around boats most of my life. My dad worked as a woodtechnologist for the US Navy at the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard in Bremerton. He was always taking me with him to look at interesting vessels of all sizes. I worked as a marine engineer for Sea Alaska up in the Aleutians during part of the mid-1970s. Later, I worked as a shipwright doing cosmetic, structural and mechanical repairs and restorations on wooden workboats and yachts up to 100 feet in the Puget Sound area and the San Francisco Bay area during the 1980s. I have been away from boat work for 20+ years, but I have jumped back into it this summer with several vintage project boats for my own family use. I have a 1957 Bellboy 16 Express and a 1958 Dorsett Farallon. Both these boats need extensive wood replacment, ironic for both are fiberglass hulls.
    Attached Files

Welcome to the group Blaine. Nice meeting you last Saturday. Those are two great looking projects. With your background, you should have them up and running in no time.
    Steve Kiesel
    1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

Blaine....

It was great to have you at the workshop last Saturday; glad you got to see a complete and restored Farallon, so you know what's missing or different with your Dorsett. (And I hope the stringers under the floor of your BB16 are better than the ones we talked about during the workshop!)

- Marty
      http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Hi Blaine,
        Welcome to the club. I know what you mean having been given a 1961 fiberglass boat that had set out in the weather for a few years. All the wood was rotten. All the fiberglass was fine except for losing its shine. After a couple of years of working on it, I sold it back to the guy who gave it to me. Some people think that's no way to treat my son but I did make some improvements on it!
        Jerry
        There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Welcome Blaine. We met Sat at Marty's. I hope in the future we can connect on some of the meets since we live so close. Your project boats are really great models and we will look forward to seeing your progress on them. Keep the photos coming!
          Kent & Diane
          '58 Westerner

Comment

Working...
          X