Shell Lake floor project

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shell Lake floor project

For those of you who attended the workshop in Nordland, I have posted some pics of the Shell Lake new floor project. If you click on my name to view my profile, the pics are shown on the right hand side. They are in the "Shell Lake floor" album. Each pic has a little description if you enlarge the picture.

At the workshop we were able to get foam under the 8 foot sheet of ply that was used for the new floor. That left a gap at the stern of about 15 inches. I have since returned to the shop twice...

Day 2: I cut a piece of ply for the stern area using the new skills acquired from Will's demonstration on pattern making. That piece got a coat of Mar-I-Tex on all sides with double coats on the edges. Then it was screwed and glued with 3M 5200. While that was curing/drying I went to work on prepping the edge of the new floor and the adjoining fiberglass hull, removing any paint so that there was bare fiberglass ready to receive the epoxy filler and eventually fiberglass tape. This required a fair amount of grinding, sanding and general noise & dust making. I also had time to drill out the foam that had bubbled forth from the workshop day foam pour.

Day 3: (With my wife in tow) I started by warming the foam chemicals with a space heater in preparation for the small stern end pour. While that was going on, and while Marty was giving Kelly the tour of the many on-going projects at the shop, I began re-plugging the foam holes in the front of the boat with epoxy. After that I mixed up more peanut butter epoxy to fill in the gap between the new floor and the fiberglass hull. Then it was time to pour foam for the aft section. I made a dam out of pattern stock to prevent the foam from just running out from under the floor.

I'll put up more pics as progress is made.

-Zachary

Mar-I-Tex

What is "Mar-I-Tex" ? Who makes it ?
    I can't find it with Google.
    I'm just trying to learn.

Thanks, Dave.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave C, post: 7405
      What is "Mar-I-Tex" ? Who makes it ?
      I can't find it with Google.
      I'm just trying to learn.

Thanks, Dave.
      Hey Dave.
      Its called Mar-X-ite
      http://www.marinenutz.com/products/X...AL-&-BOND.html

Its a sealer to seal the wood. Use double dose on the end grains and edges of plywoods.
      Helmar Joe Johanesen
      1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
      1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
      Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
      2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
      http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Thanks Joe. Marexite / Maritex / Epoxygoo so many chemicals so little brain space.

Comment

I picked up a 35hp Evinrude from Kent "Westerner" on Whidbey. I think that will do the trick. I won't wait for the Coast Guard to call, yet I think the boys will feel plenty of excitement. Even 25mph can feel pretty fast when you're sitting at water level.

Comment

Originally posted by Medic One, post: 7422
            I picked up a 35hp Evinrude from Kent "Westerner" on Whidbey. I think that will do the trick. I won't wait for the Coast Guard to call, yet I think the boys will feel plenty of excitement. Even 25mph can feel pretty fast when you're sitting at water level.
            Yep, that close to the water, its pretty quick
            Helmar Joe Johanesen
            1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
            1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
            Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
            2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
            http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

More than one way to Re-skin a Cat!

Zach ,
              Nice work,guess I missed the class on which direction to re-skin the floors......I`m working Backwards on the G-3 as it now has 2/3rds of the Rear flloor,installed .....done first so I have a firm place to step into the hull.
              My hull was pretty flimsy until both stringers and the transom were set up.
              Kinda like painting your way out of a doorless room (that moves when walking in it).
              I added to my workload and fabbed up some serious Gussetts for my transom which should allow almost any size motor I decide to go with.Pics in the camera ,I`ll post them soon as I can.
              Hoping to shed water by the time the weather hits tommorrow!
              Should have my shell on by next week!
              Tim M
              unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
              15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
              SeaRay 175BR
              Hi-Laker lapline
              14` Trailorboat

Comment

Working...
              X