Fuel tank senders?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel tank senders?

On my '60 BellBoy 404 express, I am using the original gunwale port and starboard tanks. They are made of galvanized steel and are 20 gallons each. They are in good shape and, of course, were custom made to fit in the sides very snugly. I am "thinking" about a big helm and companion side redesign in mahogany that would allow me to flush mount my GPS and re-arrange my gauges in such a way that I could include fuel gauges. I would like to keep my original tanks that are quite tall. The boat is in storage and I don't have access to measure the tanks but they must be cir 30" height. Has anybody installed after market senders in these old tanks? Any trick to it?

Thanks for any help!

Bob

Senders

Bob,
    They sell aftermarket senders that are adj in length to match the tank depth but I`ve not seen one 30`` long.8-12 ,and 12-20`` is most common.I`d get the long one and realize it`ll show empty at 1/4`` if it doesn`t reach low enough.They use simple SS rod and maybe it could be custom made to your length as it just has to rotate in a longer sweep without touching or hanging up on sides.Floats can be pointed so they are almost any angle when needed ,flat at top and bottom is the key for full to empty gauge readings.
    Tempo has them with the basic screw pattern to fit most tamks.
    With steel ,it may need ground leads from the fill cap to the tank to keep things happy.
    TimM
    unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
    15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
    SeaRay 175BR
    Hi-Laker lapline
    14` Trailorboat

Comment

senders

Bob

I don't know if the Sedan tanks are exactly the same but mine measure 26" high. Figuring the tanks in cubic inches mine work out to just under 16 gallons ea. You have much more space behind your cabin so yours may be larger but the height is probably the same. I am planning to replace mine with plastic tanks. Probably 24 gallons ea and put a small box section though the new bulkhead on each side to allow the longer tanks but keep them seperate from the cabin interior. Barry

Comment

Thanks for the tank measurement, Barry. The BB Express and BB sedan original tanks were identical. John's 404 Sedan tanks were the same size as mine. If the height is 26" then there is a sender that will work from Seasense. It extends to 27" This is good news.
        Bob

Comment

Check these out for a quality sender.
          http://www.wemausa.com/tank_sensors/...el_sensors.htm

Good luck Dave

Comment

Barry:
            I found the tank measurements that I had scibbled down. My tanks are the same as yours - 26" high. This is great because there are senders that will work with these old guys. BTW, have you decided on your new tank configuration? are you going to go with the side tank set up of the original or put one under the floor?

Best,
            Bob

Comment

tanks

Bob
              I'm going with side tanks still but changing to 24 gal. plastic. They are a little bit wider and longer but not so high. I'm going to extend them though the bulkhead so I will be boxing in a section to keep them isolated from the cabin interior and still well vented. I'm keeping the same basic layout inside so the starboard tank will extend into the cupboard and the port side will be mostly hidden by the dinette seat. I've decided to go with bench seats on both sides at the rear so being a little wider won't matter. Barry

Comment

Barry:

Which 24 gallon tanks are you purchasing for the BB? In your searching, did you ever find tanks close to size of the original dimensions ( 26" h x 42" w x "6>3" d)? I have come close but could only find gunwale tanks the went from 8" wide on top, tapering to 4" on the bottom. That would not fit when I replace the cockpit walls.

Best,

Bob

Comment

BB tanks

Bob
                  My situation is a little different than yours in that my bulkhead is much closer to the front of the splashwell so it took me a while to decide what to do about the tanks. Also, because I am going to be running twin Bearcats that will add some extra weight on the transom I am interested in moving any weight that I can forward.
                  I decided to go with Moeller 24 gal. tanks. These are 51in. long, 8.75 at the top and 5.25 at the bottom but are only a little under 18in. tall. I don't have the outside helm to worry about so the two side bench seats I'm planning to put in will easily hide the tanks and I don't need the cockpit walls where they were. This will also leave me space to put some storage area above the tanks. I am extending them about 14 to 16in through the bulkhead and boxing that in inside the cupboard/seat to eliminate any stray fumes in the cabin.
                  With the Bearcats this should give me a decent cruising range I think.
                  Barry

Comment

Working...
                  X