Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dreaming about boatin is boating, isn't it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dreaming about boatin is boating, isn't it?

Hi all!
    I stumbled onto this site while researching an old Merc 85 HP and thought I would hang around for a while. I recently bought a 17ft Thompson Sea Coaster and am slowly dismantling it. Hard to do when the wood crumbles where ever it is touched. My thoughts were since I have enjoy working with wood and playing with boats for over 40 years maybe I should combine the two interests.
    I have owned a few over the years. Years ago I restored a 1954 Century. Twas a beautiful boat but required me to work on it for 10 minutes to be able to use for 5. The kids were just learning to ski and my tempermant would not allow me to wait for them to repeatedly fall while my old boat kept overheating. So we upgraded to plastic! We later owned an 1961 31 ft Chris Craft Roamer, steel hull. I restored it as well and puffed out the chest whenever I got a compliment! Boated the Mississippi River with it for seven seasons. After selling it we trailered many places, including cruises to Lake Superior, Lake Michigan, and Huron, including two cruises of the North Chanel. We also cruised the Cumberland from the Ohio River to Nashville and back. Joined the power squadron so we could learn to navigate. Sold the Searay 268 and bought a 50ft Trawler. We spent 4 years traveling aboard. Put about 10,000 miles on, all under 8.5 knots. Mostly doing the Great Loop. Completly circumnavigated Lake Mich. and did the canals in Canada along with the St Lawrence River. Once counted over 300 lockings.
    Spent a couple of winters aboard in Florida and a summer at Green Turtle bay near the Land of the Lakes, Kentucky. Returned to Florida and sold the trawler. After 2 years without a boat we are back into boating with a Doral 310SE and a 17ft puzzle!

Welcome aboard Larry! It's nice to have you and we hope you'll want to stay awhile.

Comment

Welcome Larry! Those old Thompsons are beautiful boats for sure. Sounds like you have a nice project on your hands. Please keep us updated with pictures showing your progress!
      Mark
      Silverdale, WA.
      1956 BellBoy Express 16

Comment

Working...
      X