Update: New Years Cruise

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update: New Years Cruise

Well, so far it appears that we might escape bad weather for the New Years Cruise--Saturday, January 2 in the Lake Washington Ship Canal, Seattle. As of this Christmas morning, Accuweather maintains that January 2's weather will be a balmy 43 degrees and DRY, just cloudy. (Stay tuned for updates as we get closer...)

And, as of today the following NWCBC members say they're tentatively planning to participate...with weather being the question mark:

* Chuck Carey

* Jack and Kathie Dando

* Barry, Jay and Tara aboard the mothership Chris-Craft cruiser, TABU, inviting those without boats to stay warm by cruising with them. (Don't worry--TABU can accommodate a large crew.)

* Tim Mattson

* Marty Loken

* Kent and Diane Hodges

* Brian Franchini

* Tim and Cindy McCrain

* Jerry and Becky McRorie

* Andy Eoff

* Gordon and Cheryl Davies

* Brian Flaherty

ANYBODY ELSE thinking they might join in the fun??

The plan will be to meet for lunch at Ivar's Salmon House, at the north end of Lake Union, then explore the myriad backwaters and marinas of the Ship Canal...trolling for views of the many classic boats moored in Seattle.

We'll rendezvous at 11:30 a.m. at Ivar's dock, where there should be plenty of space for everyone's boats. We've reserved a table big enough to seat the whole NWCBC group...and if you can't come by boat, just drive to Ivar's and join us for lunch...if not for the whole afternoon aboard Jay and Tara's big cruiser.

Many of our members plan to launch at Magnuson Park (Sand Point); others will probably put their boats in the water at one of the two Ship Canal ramps--either Northeast Northlake Way or 14th Avenue Northwest in Ballard. Either way, it should be easy for everyone to make their way to Ivar's...and beyond.

For some reason, we always seem to get decent weather for the New Year's Cruise, so here's hoping for a great event to launch Northwest Classic Boat Club's super-active 2010 season.

Hope you can make it!

- Marty
    http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

If the boat isn't frozon to the driveway, I'll be there
    ChuckB
    "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." K. Grahame "The Wind in the Willows"

Comment

Seattle Slough...

Since our planned ride for the first event of the New Year is still in dry dock, and I want to participate in the fun, we have decided to make this a test run for the timeworn 1961 Pacific Mariner Stiletto "Seattle Slough" that got me started on this out of control hobby.

We will be raising the transom with a temporary aluminum extension, and mounting one of the Homelite 55's that were acquired from Steve Kiesel. If we like the package, the lower unit will be converted to a short shaft with a kit from Bill R..

Comment

Count me in!

I'm planning to come! Anyone else leaving from Coulon in Renton? -Ken

Comment

Who's Coming If It Rains?

Okay, we're getting closer to Saturday and the latest forecast suggests it'll be pretty warm (mid to upper 40's by mid-day), but we might have rain during part of the day.

If that's the case, who's still planning to attend?

I'll be there, regardless. Others who have indicated interest in participating include:

Greg Lamb

Ken Cook

Chuck Bauer

Chuck Carey

Greg James

Jack Dando

Tim Mattson

Jerry and Becky McRorie

Barry, Jay and Tara aboard the cruiser TABU, hosting anyone who wants to stay dry and warm

Brian Franchini

Kent and Diane Hodges

Tim and Cindy McCrain

Andy Eoff

Gordon and Cheryl Davies

Brian Flaherty

(I only need to know what the approximate head count is for the lunch reservation at Ivar's.)

Thanks, and Happy New Year to everyone!

- Marty

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Marty, We'll be there rain or shine. All gassed up and ready to rock and roll. A little rain won't hurt, hey, things could be worse! Check this guy out, and it's sunny where he's at! I'll launch at 14th street in Ballard, hopefully not like this!
            Attached Files
            Kent & Diane
            '58 Westerner

Comment

Marty, Dan ( my Son ) and Myself will be there via boat OR if it's a downpour which i don't think it will be , we will go straight to Ivar's in the car. Will launch at Northeast Northlake Way or 14th Avenue Northwest in Ballard. Are we going to tour around Lake Union first after Ivar's and then down by Ballard ? Just check her out this am. Ready to Go ! Got my new G-3 Canvas in time ! Best,Chuck
              Attached Files
              1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
              1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Hey, do you think that's Obama's truck and boat? I see his name in the rear window.
                There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Rain or shine, co-pilot or not, boat or no boat, I'll be there...fashionably late as usual.

Comment

The Plan for Saturday

Chuck -

The weather may help determine our plan for Saturday, but the general idea is for everyone to go straight to Ivar's for lunch, meeting there around 11:30 a.m., then cruise the Ship Canal afterwards. I'm imagining that we might go from Ivar's down the eastern shore of Lake Union, past The Center for Wooden Boats, and then west to the Locks...cruising in and out of marinas along the way to look at classic boats. There are some particular marinas that seem to have more vintage craft than others, of course...and the best of them are probably west of the Ballard Bridge (Stimson Marina and Lockhaven Marina, for instance). It might also be interesting to tour the floats at Fisherman's Terminal.

(But we can all decide together what we want to do over lunch...)

- Marty

Comment

I`ll be in the Seafair ,Miss Bee Haven ,launching at 14th as well.
                      Almost had the G3 ready but some "Formalities" remain.
                      TimM
                      unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
                      15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
                      SeaRay 175BR
                      Hi-Laker lapline
                      14` Trailorboat

Comment

Working...
                      X