Gas Tank Help?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Tank Help?

I'm installing a new gas tank in my Glasscraft. The filler hose that came with the kit is alittle bit too short and too stiff to make the (2) 90 degree turns that are required.

I've shopped online, at a local marine store and automotive store and can't find what (I think) I'm looking for. Has anyone ever installed a 90 degree elbow off of the filler cap to the gas tank? If so, where did you get it?

Thanks,

Karl
    17' Johnson Runabout (1964) Completed
    18' GlassCraft Imperial (1959) Done!
    19' Campion Bowrider (1999) Great family ski/tow boat
    25' Skagit (1960) Two of them. What am I thinking?
    14' Axtell Aquacraft (1950ish)
    14' Stilleto

Karl,
    It may be possible to have a better welder cut two pcs of Marine grade Alum at a 45` angle ,then Tig weld them together to form the needed turn.
    Coastline in B`Ham uses these on custom tanks and if you promised to follow all codes on Hose type,(double hose clamps under decks,grounding, and so forth....) they may set you up with a fitting to suit,basically the fill they`d use on a Wooldridge Boat tank.
    The tig weld is a must as the fuel will make it Pit if simply wire fed.
    Ed Broomfield in Ballard would be a last resort but is a straight -up expert in metal fabbing.His price can be surprisingly low on occasion.
    You`ll need it to be 1.5`` OD for the inside of the hose.
    This might even be a scrap item from the tank people,maybe they cut one too short or just have generic ones for common tanks.
    I bet you have a plastic tank bye the way?
    Still should work ok but seek others input too.
    Tim M
    unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
    15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
    SeaRay 175BR
    Hi-Laker lapline
    14` Trailorboat

Comment

Tim,

Thanks for the info. I was hoping that there was an off the shelf 90 that was available. I think that I might just buy a longer (and maybe more flexable) hose from an auto store.

Thanks again,

Karl
      17' Johnson Runabout (1964) Completed
      18' GlassCraft Imperial (1959) Done!
      19' Campion Bowrider (1999) Great family ski/tow boat
      25' Skagit (1960) Two of them. What am I thinking?
      14' Axtell Aquacraft (1950ish)
      14' Stilleto

Comment

One other thing you might think about is getting 2 90 degree elbo's and us short peices of gas pipe to make it up with all the right clamps. I have seen stock car gas tanks set up this way.
        Just a though.
        Mike aka pathfinder
        Red sails at night a sailors delight Red sails in the morn sailors be warned

Comment

Working...
        X