ProjectFiles:1961 GlastronJet Saga...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ProjectFiles:1961 GlastronJet Saga...

With a new decade upon us, I thought it was about time that the story of our '61 Glastron "Add-a-jet-to-me" provided some entertainment value.

This first installment, will rehash some pictures/info posted on Fiberglassics "Chop Shop" at the start of the project, August 2008 (just before the site blew up). Deciding to avoid the crowds and string bikinis of Seafair, my son and I cranked the hydro races and got busy livin'. Pat O'day's inspiring calls of heat 1b were drown out by the din and smell of plastic surgery-vintage boat style. The slide show represents that weekends effort.

As Brian Franchini ("FINS") can attest, melding a vintage hull with modern "Jet Ski" power isn't for the faint of heart. Our totally custom project is now in final interior installation phase and will be undergoing final testing soon...STAY TUNED!

Slideshow worked in testing, working on solution

CLICK ON PICTURE FOR NOW TO GET SLIDE SHOW

Nice, Greg! Enjoyed the slide show, that was pretty cool. Looking forward to shotsof the shakedown cruise, keep us posted!

Tim

Comment

Nice surgery Greg. That will be a fun ride.
      Steve Kiesel
      1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

Glastron Jet

Greg -

Great slide show--like others, I can't wait to see the finished boat, which will be stunning.

- Marty
        http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

More pictures...

Thanks guys, always feel like I'm fishing for compliments when showing photos of work done. Just want to provide some entertainment and inspiration, I know it seems like you are the only one working in a cold garage this time of year...but you aren't alone.

As usual I got really carried away with this retro-custom GlastronJet, I have included a video that spans 16 months of work, before I got lazy with the camera. I've held back final photos so there is some surprise when we roll up to the dock.

With Tim & Miss BeeHaven in mind, this boat has been stiffened with foam under the floor, foamed gunnels, foamed side and rear panels, as well as urethane sheet under the bow and stern decks. A total of 16 cubic feet of closed cell foam will float over 960#, well over the approx. 650# total dry weight. Swamped turtled or holed, the plan hatched to keep my non-swimming @$$ above water seems to have been prudent.

YouTube claimed my Frank Sinatra songs violated copyright laws, hope you enjoy the edited version..
          [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EPdaXRBvn8"]YouTube- GlastronJet.wmv[/ame]

Comment

Nice job blending the old and new together on the stern, Greg. Wow, you would never know it wasn't original. With work like that, you don't have to fish for compliments!

Comment

Awsome!!!

WoW!! Very nice work! Can't wait to see it on the water!
              Gordon and Cheryl Davies

Comment

Greg, a little carried away? Just kidding, that is going to be sharp looking when your all done. All those years of fiberglass fabrication really paid off. Can't wait for the big surprise at the end. Have fun.
                Steve Kiesel
                1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

I really wish you would have finished yours first! I had no idea if it was going to work or not and didn't want to sink a bunch of money into a deadend project. Now that I know it works, there are several things I would have done differently or used different parts. Live and learn! Looking forward to having another classic jet in the area to play with! Now the Slough run is only how many weeks away...
                  BRIAN FRANCHINI
                  LAKE TAPPS, WA.

Comment

Bleeding edge..

Originally posted by FINS, post: 8616
                    I really wish you would have finished yours first! I had no idea if it was going to work or not and didn't want to sink a bunch of money into a deadend project. Now that I know it works, there are several things I would have done differently or used different parts. Live and learn! Looking forward to having another classic jet in the area to play with! Now the Slough run is only how many weeks away...
                    I hear you Brian, my whole life has been spent swimming upstream without a rulebook or map. Because of my disdain for getting towed in after breaking another .05 cent part on my vintage outboards, I started gathering components for an inboard jet conversion. The overriding rule of thumb was minimum expenditure, over the top-wicked, and maximum float time. Your project posting was found a month before the first cut was made, alas!-someone had proven the concept beyond Glen-L and jon boat transplants.

Since I am a frugal, resourceful sort I refuse to pay the toll for the higher horsepower set-ups, shooting to achieve mid-30's max from now defunct Polaris cast-offs mated to a beautifully-lined relatively ancient planing hull that was never intended to motate faster.

As ChuckC says, "this one will never hit the Slough", but do have plans for our Pacific Mariner Stiletto to enter the "race" this year. It is sporting a recently jack-plated, longshaft Homelite-really cool but the aesthetics don't work for me. Plan-B may involve a quick jet bed transplant, mated to a vertical Homelite 55 (ala, the Fageol VIP) providing juice through a Yamaha motorcycle angle drive...mmmmmm! vintage 4-stroke jet power.

PS: what ever happened with the four cylinder shaft driven inboard project you had dreamed up?
                    Attached Files

Comment

Looks like its gonna be a cool custom Greg. Can't wait to see it on the water!

Keep us updated...
                      Mark
                      Silverdale, WA.
                      1956 BellBoy Express 16

Comment

It just so happens that this sweet little Graymarine 4 banger complete with transmission was procured just last month for the Reinell "Vette-a-bout". It all measures up and should work perfectly with new engine "bed" stringers mounting just inside the stock stringers. I just need to play with shaft angles and make sure it is going to work with a strut and stuffing box so I don't find myself looking for "unobtainium" parts. It is going to mean that I loose the small rumble seat in the back, but lets face it, my butt was NEVER going to fit back there!

BRIAN FRANCHINI
                        LAKE TAPPS, WA.

Comment

Brian Copperfield presents...

You're bucking the system Franchini!, if you can shoehorn that gray anvil into the Vette-a-bout hull-you deserve the Nobel Peace Prize(vintage boat category).

Being of a similar ilk, I also ran the numbers on putting a similar 4 cylinder Gray into the Playmaster that Stef Roberts forwarded our way. I considered placing the engine in the front cockpit, with the rear single cockpit hugging the driveshaft "Cracker Box style"...but logistics and weight scared me sober. To get an idea of the room needed for such an install, I found some photos of a wood 14'6" Correct Craft. You are obviously creative, and are probably planning on a rear mount rudder to buy some room. The Fageol/Homelite mounted horizontally only gives up 15 horsepower to the Gray, and has a higher horsepower per # ratio.

I love out of the box thinking, keep us posted.
                          Attached Files

Comment

What has me a bit concerned is the weight distribution. These little glass hulls were designed to have 150-200 pounds hung off the transom. I am not sure how it is going to react to having 300+ pounds set amidship. It may work best to find a small v-drive unit. Then the motor can go as far back as possible and still get shafts to work. Like you said, the Gray motors are anvils. My back is still hurting from getting it into the truck. Thank God for my Dad who helped retrieve it. I could still be pinned under it in the driveway!
                            BRIAN FRANCHINI
                            LAKE TAPPS, WA.

Comment

insanity runs in the family?

Brian, vintage boat junkies, etc.......

What is the back story of the Vette-A-Bout? Did you hatch the plan for the hardtop? Why the heck not use an outboard like a normal person?

Being in a creative field also, I wonder if it is destiny or chance that idiosyncratic behavior-(marching to the beat of one's own drummer), forces us to take the path of most resistance. Curse or gift?...that is the question.

Watching "The World's Fastest Indian" helps make me feel better for a few days, at least I'm not that addicted...I think?

Comment

Working...
                              X